• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce muffler option

m715mike

Patriot Exhaust Auger Insert

this one?
it was my thought , too. my only concerns are about the backpressure....i guess a glasspack has less. but guess is for people who can't messure...a manometer should clearly show the difference between open, glasspack and spiral insert. Any volunteers? :)
Yes that one. I can't remember how long ago my buddy bought the truck but he owned it for several years before he bobbed it. He actually discovered the insert while removing his stack. He pulled it out and didn't like how loud it got so he put it back in. He does not have a pyro meter so I don't know how much it affects EGT's. His fuel is also turned up a bit and so far he doesn't seem to have any problems. At least due to the auger insert.

I'm curious about the Patriot Exhaust auger inserts. A quick search on SS shows that a few guys are using them and there is no cutting or welding required -- just insert in the exhaust pipe. Are they really that simple? Do they rattle (ha ha, as if my truck doesn't already)?

At $21, I'm thinking about trying one. I have not turned up the fuel, nor do I intend to. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Would backpressure reduce horse power, potentially damage the engine or both? What are the downsides to a $21 insert that appears simple to install?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK
Everybody wants quiet..........

I just must try it out now..
What does a Deuce sound like
with no exhaust restrictions?

What does that do to BP, MP, inlet & exhaust temps ?
Will the "C" run cooler?
Oh my.......................
This will wake 'em up

I remember that un-muffled tank retriever in 69
OH boy!
Let us un-muffle a multifuel and record................
Like it's going to be worse than straight pipes out in the 396, MG, XK140, 9C1, and my '55?

I just have to hear this, but then it has already been done?

welldigger

I'm curious about the Patriot Exhaust auger inserts. A quick search on SS shows that a few guys are using them and there is no cutting or welding required -- just insert in the exhaust pipe. Are they really that simple? Do they rattle (ha ha, as if my truck doesn't already)?

At $21, I'm thinking about trying one. I have not turned up the fuel, nor do I intend to. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Would backpressure reduce horse power, potentially damage the engine or both? What are the downsides to a $21 insert that appears simple to install?
Don't waste your money on the augers or auger style mufflers!!!!!

I only thought it was quiet until I installed an aero turbine 3535 on my truck. The auger is a joke compared to the aero. The aero also is a flow through design so no worries on raising EGT's.

brianp454

welldigger do you have a sound file of your truck? I got the 3535XL (long version) yesterday and plan to mount it soon. Can't wait!

Rmtaunton or others, can you share a sound file or make a youtube video of your new muffler sound?

Don't waste your money on the augers or auger style mufflers!!!!!

I only thought it was quiet until I installed an aero turbine 3535 on my truck. The auger is a joke compared to the aero. The aero also is a flow through design so no worries on raising EGT's.

I can make a HD quality video tomorrow of my truck. I have the walker 21470 truck muffler and I love it. It took some getting used to but now I love it..... has a good rumble and the whistle of my D turbo at around 15 psi of boost is great.

welldigger

No sorry I don't have a sound clip of mine. SkinnyR1 has the 3535xl on his truck and he seemed very pleased with how quiet his truck is now. The 3535 on my truck is impressively quiet to the point I don't wear hearing protection anymore. So if the 3535 works that well then I imagine the 3535xl will be on par with the walker.

Yeah I don't wear ear muffs anymore. Even at 55 on the highway it's not bad. Now if I was going on a long trip I might wear some ear plugs. It's still loud from all the other crap humming and banging.

welldigger

Yeah I don't wear ear muffs anymore. Even at 55 on the highway it's not bad. Now if I was going on a long trip I might wear some ear plugs. It's still loud from all the other crap humming and banging.
Ya pretty much the same here. If I stay in town I don't wear muffs but if I was on a long trip or on interstate I still wear them. But, only because of the drive train whine. The exhaust note is still very pleasant at 2300 rpm. I'm hoping when I dynamat the crap out of my cab I hope to be done with muffs period. Key word there is hope lol.

cliffreckley

Has anyone run full rear exhaust? and what muffler was used? I have dogs and children who love to ride, and I live in a nice quiet neighborhood full of Vietnam era vets who love the M35's, but the other half of the folks don't see the beauty in the 35's sound.

new member -1st post - have mercy. Cliff

rustystud

Has anyone run full rear exhaust? and what muffler was used? I have dogs and children who love to ride, and I live in a nice quiet neighborhood full of Vietnam era vets who love the M35's, but the other half of the folks don't see the beauty in the 35's sound.

The early deuces had full rear exhaust. I'm sure you can still get parts at the surplus places. I myself wouldn't do it. I would just add a muffler. My deuce has a Donaldson muffler and I love it. If I had the money I would go with the "Aero Turbine AT3535" or "AT3535XL" since it is all stainless steel (no rust ) and the sound deadening is great .

Last edited:

JasonS

Full exhaust; no muffler. Quiet in the cab; cant' comment on outside noise.

59apache

Chipmaker
The early deuces had full rear exhaust. I'm sure you can still get parts at the surplus places. I myself wouldn't do it. I would just add a muffler. My deuce has a Donaldson muffler and I love it. If I had the money I would go with the "Aero Turbine AT3535" or "AT3535XL" since it is all stainless steel (no rust ) and the sound deadening is great .
I've paid for my AT3535xl $80,-- at ebay.com...thats ok.

welldigger

you can found them at Aeroexhaust for 131,--

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/mufflers/aeroexhaust-at3535xl.html

300 for a (stainless) can and some perforated pipe is nuts. Even 130 ist to much. 80 to 100 is ok. Its just a muffler, no rocket sience.....
Now this is down right interesting. It appears aero exhaust is on their own again. At least judging by the website 59apache posted. However, Jones exhaust still has aero exhaust listed and to top it off it appears Jones exhaust has cloned the aero turbine. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks