• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce muffler option

Gastrap

I've got the Moroso spiral muffler, and EGT's do increase faster even with that design. My fuel was turned up prior to installation so I was used to watching the pyrometer. My upper stack was tan carc and never turned pink until I installed the muffler below it. Have thought about removing it, but it sure is nice to have a loud whistle without the nasty drone. I can actually have a conversation in the cab at 40 MPH and windows open, but still need ear protection to go on the highway.

welldigger

What's interesting about my truck is the entire stack except the upper portion is pink. I don't know if that's normal or if maybe my fuel is hopped up already. I won't know that until I install a pyrometer. Regardless that aero turbine muffler has caught my attention. I want a strait through design but I do not want a glass pack or similar muffler. I have plenty of experience with glass packs and I don't want a muffler that wears out. Especially since I am having the muffler and stack powder coated I would like to only do that once.

ryan77

I use barbecue high temp paint! Cheap and last's long! Also works good for a cheap black carc substitute !

welldigger

I am powder coating mine flat black. Powder coat can withstand high temperatures for long periods of time. Its also is incredibly durable. Also it isn't nearly as expensive as you might think.

Dipstick

Final Muffler Install

I finally finished my muffler install and got it the way I wanted it. I used a Donaldson muffler (I didn't notice any sound reduction with the twister I previously installed) and an aftermarket turnout stack painted with silver VHT. I made a bracket out of 1" angle iron that moves the mirror arm mounting hole 1.25" further forward. This allowed me to attach both mirror arms leaving .5" clearance between the muffler and the arms. By mounting the top muffler outlet centered on the muffler bracket, it allowed me to use only two clamps eliminating the original clamp midway up the stack. My neighbors tell me my truck is noticeably quieter. Especially at start up and idle.

Attachments

Dipstick

Looks good dip. Glad you finally got the results you wanted.
Thanks digger! I just ordered flat black VHT hi temp. The consensus between my neighbors (especially Felicia) and the guys at work...is that my stack is too bright. After much hand wringing and mental anguish....I've decided to go with their collective opinions, get flat black, and minimize/eliminate all felt, real, or perceived ridicule or laughter. This in no way diminishes my appreciation of your most positive compliment.

I want to see pics of your flat black powder coat smoke pipe. I've never had anything powder coated and would like to have the benefit of your experience.

If any SS member is interested in installing the Donaldson muffler and wants to keep the mirror support and position looking stock....I'll gladly post the measurements for making my extremely easy to fab mount.

welldigger

I haven't had my stack coated just yet. I have been fixing small problems like flasher units, fuel return lines, gauges I can't read....in between working on the a3 bobber. Which will hopefully be unveiled within the next few weeks. Once that truck is done I'll start pulling my truck apart. Not gonna bob my truck. But it needs a frame up restro. Along with mods to fit my liking.

Dipstick

You are busy! I would like to see pics of your a3 and posts concerning your resto work on the a2. It's raining like **** up here otherwise I'd drive Brutus in to work tonight.

welldigger

Well the a3 isn't mine. Its a buddies truck. Its been a long project we started last November I believe. Finally on the down hill slope tho. Laying on paint is our current task at hand. Then its gonna be interior work, build winch bracket for the front...then that's pretty much it.

Merc1973

i think iI I have read every muffler thread here. However, I'm curious to hear the difference between the Donaldson and the large Walker muffler. I'm not sure which one to get.

Last edited:

ducer

I went with the large walker muffler and I love it! No noticable loss of power, can have a conversation with someone going down the road and I can still hear the wistle from mu turbocharger spooling up.:jumpin: Next to grooving my ndtcc tires for snow it is my favorite improvement.

Denny

Merc1973

I went with the large walker muffler and I love it! No noticable loss of power, can have a conversation with someone going down the road and I can still hear the wistle from mu turbocharger spooling up.:jumpin: Next to grooving my ndtcc tires for snow it is my favorite improvement.

Denny
Was there much modification done to fit the walker muffler?

ducer

Not much at all, I welded a bracket to the body of the muffler to fit to the one on the truck with the holes drilled in it and legnthened the bracket for the upper mirror rod on the cowl. All in all it took me about an hour to make all the pieces paint and install. I wish I had a camera to take pictures and show you but I don't, he11 I don't even own a computer I use the one at work.

Denny

welldigger

Added an aero turbine 3535 to my truck. Fits nicely between the fender and stack brace. Its a flow through design so egt's will be minimally affected. Its constructed entirely of stainless steel and has no packing to wear out. The sound reduction of this muffler is impressive. I can now hear my "D" turbo spool up. It slso idles nice and quiet. Well....compared to no muffler.

Last edited:

ivbeenrokd

Added an aero turbine 3535 to my truck. Fits nicely between the fender and stack brace. Its a flow through design so egt's will be minimally affected. Its constructed entirely of stainless steel and has no packing to wear out. The sound reduction of this muffler is impressive. I can now hear my "D" turbo spool up. It slso 8dles nice and quiet. Well....compared to no muffler.
Did you happen to measure DB before and after?

RAYZER

Did you happen to measure DB before and after?
I installed a dynomax (similar to the turbine)on my cargo deuce c turbo.
I took db readings before the install and at road speed it was about 101 db's in the cab.
The manufacturer of this style of glass pack muffler promises around a 4 db reduction on race car applications, doesn't sound like much, but 4 db's is significant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks