• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce muffler option

Dipstick

Family dog who likes to go everywhere in anything that runs when I open the cab door. Neighbors cover there ears as I drive by.

If you are thinking its time to quiet the Deuce and not a fan of the galvanized trash can look, I used a Twister muffler. It's available with a 12" body 3.5" slip x 3.5" pipe. It will fit neatly behind the heat shield. It cuts the harshness out of the exhaust but leaves all the turbo whistle.
I just ordered the twister muffler based on your comments and pictures. Can I assume that the muffler slips right over the exhaust pipe after it's cut and the exhaust stack slips on the same? What did you paint it with?

welldigger

A fellow near me has a bobber with an auger looking insert similar to the twister in his stack. Its not a full muffler...just the insert. They are about 15 bucks from summit racing. It works surprisingly well. You can have a conversation at highway speeds. And don't worry dip. His is a whistler also. Its sounds better than open stack in my opinion.

Dipstick

Hey Digger! How are you? Having a conversation at road speed without yelling is quite the concept.
I finally got my air wipers with civilian blades working today. Hooray!

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sound

Family dog who likes to go everywhere in anything that runs when I open the cab door. Neighbors cover there ears as I drive by.

If you are thinking its time to quiet the Deuce and not a fan of the galvanized trash can look, I used a Twister muffler. It's available with a 12" body 3.5" slip x 3.5" pipe. It will fit neatly behind the heat shield. It cuts the harshness out of the exhaust but leaves all the turbo whistle.
HI use 1 from a M939 5 ton,we had some M35's here in the cal guard that had them they were very quiet just like the 5 ton's.

Steve

59apache

Chipmaker
A fellow near me has a bobber with an auger looking insert similar to the twister in his stack. QUOTE]

this one?
it was my thought , too. my only concerns are about the backpressure....i guess a glasspack has less. but guess is for people who can't messure...a manometer should clearly show the difference between open, glasspack and spiral insert. Any volunteers? :)

welldigger

Hey Digger! How are you? Having a conversation at road speed without yelling is quite the concept.
I finally got my air wipers with civilian blades working today. Hooray!
I have been good. Thanks for asking. I have been following the things you have been repairing/modifying and I have to say it won't be long before that bobber is in top condition. You will have to speak up to understand each other (at least with the insert we did). However you can clearly understand each other and you aren't deaf after a short drive.

welldigger

A fellow near me has a bobber with an auger looking insert similar to the twister in his stack. QUOTE]

this one?
it was my thought , too. my only concerns are about the backpressure....i guess a glasspack has less. but guess is for people who can't messure...a manometer should clearly show the difference between open, glasspack and spiral insert. Any volunteers? :)
Yes that one. I can't remember how long ago my buddy bought the truck but he owned it for several years before he bobbed it. He actually discovered the insert while removing his stack. He pulled it out and didn't like how loud it got so he put it back in. He does not have a pyro meter so I don't know how much it affects EGT's. His fuel is also turned up a bit and so far he doesn't seem to have any problems. At least due to the auger insert.

Dblbeard

Muffler

I just ordered the Dynomax 17224, I'm going to surprise my boy with it when I pick him up from school one day.
He's always loved the deuce, but lately I've noticed he's been wanting to drive something else when we go somewhere
due to how loud it is. Nothings changed, it's just the new has worn off a little and he's noticing how loud it really is.

I also purchased some of the insuladd off the big auction site, I plan to mix me some of the homemade sound deadening
paint up and put a few coats on to see if I can help it even more with the noise inside the cab.
I did some searching tonight for that name (insuladd) and their ceramic microspheres and how they have
been using it for years with house paint and using it as an insulator on the commercial side.

We'll see how it goes and I'll post some info on it. I also found out that the expensive Rhino liners, Lizard skins, and other
big companies are using this technology in their products and charging a lot more like some of the other members have
posted in this and other threads.

I really appreciate all the knowledge and help I've found on this site, with this help I've spent a fraction of the money I would
have by just reading through these threads and benifiting from all the research and development the other members have
done.

My family and I thank you all

$(KGrHqIOKokE1zw!hRvjBNsd3TeEY!~~0_12[1].jpg$(KGrHqYOKpcE19KT(zNzBNsd6PDhUw~~0_12[1].jpg $T2eC16VHJIQE9qUHtHqFBRTNozV!Vg~~60_12[1].jpg

Dipstick

My son Dan and I drove up to the Sussex, N.J. military truck show last Saturday. The Twister muffler I installed did nothing to reduce the sound level. I now have a Donaldson M070028 on the way.

Kohburn

I used an aeroturbine muffler

it combines a straight through design with a pulse cancelation.
essentially it pulls off some of the exhaust flow, makes it take a longer path then reintroduces it to the main flow. this takes two differently times pulse waves and combines them to partially cancel them out.

AirFlowDemo.5.jpg

the view through the muffler looks like this:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/xcolz.rfgxn/v/vspfiles/photos/AT2525XL-3.jpg

it worked very well

Dblbeard

Kohburn,
Have you made any db readings with the aeroturbine?

I know most of us don't have db meters but I saw a post where one of the guys installed an app on his smart phone that would do it.

Kohburn

interesting idea on the app - no i haven't, but i can tell you that now the fan and gear noise is significantly louder than the exhaust. it is about the same volume as muffled commercial trucks like the trash trucks etc. can have conversations and all.

joshs1ofakindxj

There are several options for adding a muffler but I went the quick, easy, and cheap way with this pretty much bolt on set-up that fits behind the stock heat shield and eliminated the need for ear protection:

Jeggs: Moroso 94052 muffler $50
Napa: Two 3.5" muffler clamps $8, exhaust pipe connector 41893 $15

Krylon Ultra Flat spray paint turns primer red on exhaust stack parts after awhile. Apparently Jeggs has a high temp OD green spray paint. 500 F BBQ paint flakes off after awhile. 2000 F black exhaust manifold paint held on awhile then crapped out as well.

On long trips with the window down I still throw in plugs because of the droning tone, but around town, or with the window up, no ear pro is needed, and my whistler turbo sounds so much cooler.

0506021651a.jpg420168_10150605872156229_136189329_n.jpg423882_10150605863486229_316311459_n.jpg

Last edited:

welldigger

interesting idea on the app - no i haven't, but i can tell you that now the fan and gear noise is significantly louder than the exhaust. it is about the same volume as muffled commercial trucks like the trash trucks etc. can have conversations and all.
Did you just use the muffler or did you use the one with the built in resonator?

Katahdin

With the Donaldson muffler I had the people at the Maine rally confused. They heard me coming down the road and thought maybe I had a "D", but as soon as I downshifted to turn into the parking lot the "C" turbo made its presence known. :)

welldigger

With the Donaldson muffler I had the people at the Maine rally confused. They heard me coming down the road and thought maybe I had a "D", but as soon as I downshifted to turn into the parking lot the "C" turbo made its presence known. :)
The Donaldson seems to be the most effective muffler....however I plan on turning my fuel up along with adding larger tires. My concern is the egt's getting too hot too fast with the Donaldson since it is not a strait thru design. I'm not really looking to make my truck quiet. I'm just trying to tone down the roaring drone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks