• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce pick up GSA lot San antonio

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are flying down, how are you planning to possibly tow anything? Buying an extra plane ticket for your tow bar??

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are picking up your truck from Barrman's place, can you bring my Diesel Suburan to OKC. It's on the way....:)

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When Devilman96 and myself flew to Nashville to pick up deuces I won, we sent the towbar ahead via UPS just in case. We still had issues with the circus clowns from TSA.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can bring the towbar and stuff with me if Westy ships em to my place. I'll be on site the morning of pickup right when they open.

Barrman

Colton and I got it this morning. 260 Duece miles in a little less than 7 hours. The GSA truck pulled great but wanted to push me and my 11.00 singled truck around above 51 mph. So I kept it at 47 mph. I haven't driven that slow for so long since 2008 bringing my truck back from OKC. No troubles though and very helpful GSA people.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without reading the whole thread, when are they going?
Because Westy cheaped out on a deuce that was 30 minutes from his house, so now he bough 2 deuces 1300 miles from home, for slightly less.:cookoo:

Barrman

I will mess with it some over the next week or so as time allows. I think letting the lift pump run, draining the filters and then trying to start it will probably make it run. The GSA guy was helpful, but seemed to want me gone in a hurry and I didn't want to start bleeding the filters and leaking all over their lot.

Since the truck was backed in to a spot that could not be tow barred out of. I thought firing it up would be the best way to move it. He kept wanting to go grab the big fork lift. I talked him into letting me try slave cabling it first. He went and got a M1008 with a cable before I could get my cable out of my Duece and get turned around to hook them up. We checked for fuel in the tank and oil in the engine. It had both, so we tried it. It would spin over for about 4 seconds before the M1008 would start to squel. We let it charge for about 5 minutes while I looked at some other trucks a fellow SS member bought and then I tried it again.

I thought I had it going. Smoke coming out, the chugging engine seeming to go off the starter and not wanting to tear stuff up, I let go of the button. It stopped right away. We were back to 4 seconds of turning again and I said the heck with it. Colton steered as I chain pulled it out of the spot and onto hard ground to hook up the tow bar.

When we got to my dirt road which is 3/10 of a mile long, we stopped. I checked all the hubs for hot spots on both trucks. My right front rear was warm a little and his drivers rear rear was a little warm and threw some gear oil onto the rim. Everything else was great. I told Colton to pull me at 1500 rpm in hi 1st. That turned the engine over, but not fast enough. I locked up the brakes to get Colton to stop since he couldn't see my waving arms. Good brakes by the way.

I got him all excited telling him to give me 2000 rpm in 3rd. He went through the gears with a smile on his face like a drag racer. I was able to 500-800 rpm on the dragged truck tach, engine cut off in and clutch out. No smoke, no chuging, no nothing. I think the filters are probably clogged up and or dry. With no lift pump, nothing is getting to them.

Now, my original thought was to drive the M1009 down with spare stuff and flat tow it back behind the M35. I would have been more determined to make it run then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks