• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce snow plow?

greenjeepster

Understood, it just seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

As far as the measurements, my understanding is that 9.00 or 11.00 is generally referred to as the sidewall height of the tire. These tires are assumed to have a 100% aspect ratio, so it also happens to be the width.

A 9.00 x 20 tire would be 38 inches tall. An 11.00 x 20 would be 42 inches, so it would be a 4 inch difference.
A 9.00 is actually 40.5
Here is a pretty good link that explains military tire sizes pretty well.

U.S. Army Pneumatic Tires of World War II

greenjeepster

You are right on the circumference though....

40.5 (3.14) =127 inches
42.5 (3.14) = 133 inches

it is pulling 5 inches farther with the 11.00 up front...... even I am thinking that is too much.

blacktop

I have a western 10 foot straight blade on my truck. Power steering would be nice but For my aplication not manditory. Most plowing is is done in a straight line and your turns are done while backing with the plow raised. I plowed for seven hours the other day and it didnt really wear me out. Singles will help with steering and grip I and running 11.00 xl's with no weight but weight would help. 10 feet and plow and the deuce going down the highway seems questionable but the handeling really isnt affected. I think a heaver plow will be more of a handfull.

emr

Interesting, i did it mostly because i had a winch and an A frame hanging in the front and it just looked cool, But just in my mind new i was never running 6 x 6 on dry pavement, so it did not matter to me, I guess it is smart for me to say i did it for years and had no ill effects, but do not recomend doing anything that may cause damage, I was in the mind set of this post that the 1100s would steer easier and they did for me, and when more money comes in the rest of the 1100s would follow , that is how it was with me, but ended up keeping the 24087 deuce true to form with 900s , and went 1100s with the tan one, just looked more correct to me, Do not want anyone hurting there truck, I like the info on the pulling, it leads me to believe it would be a good thing, my truck did pull like a bear ...enjoyed the comments and info...:-D

66Reo6X6

Thanks again for all the input! I have posted a few more pictures of the V plow in my photo album if anyone is interested. This thing has a wingspan of 10' 5", it is 6' tall, and each side is 8' 8" long.

Attachments

Katahdin

Just remember, keep those thumbs out!
9' Western heavyweight, no PS (although my neighbor put the air assist steer on his after almost tearing his thumb off).
Hmm..... that gives me an idea. If I put wings on my 7.5' Boss Plow I can get 9.3 feet of plow width. That'll work with my 109 if I can fab up a hitch....something to work on for next season.

66Reo6X6

Plow update. Still don't have it mounted on the Duce and have not really needed it yet thankfully. Currently have the transfer case apart replacing the sprauge clutch assy. Also found some 11.00 20 tires as soon as the budget allows for them anyway. Was thinking bout running singles with chains if needed. Only have two miles of gravel road to contend with.:D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ACTIONFIGUREBOB has a deuce with snow plow for sale in MD. He is a good friend and I can vouch for the truck. Beautiful truck...air shift...troop seats...winch...hard and soft top...comes with M105. Contact him if you are interested.

BEASTMASTER

the front end will self destruct with that much weight. the upper and lower bearings will not carry that much weight for long. it's carrying the plow raised that will destroy the bearings. they aren't much bigger than the front end of a pick up truck.

jatonka

I am including a picture of my deuce wing plow, it has plowed a school system and a ski slope parking lot for many years and is now living at the end of a private dirt road in the Adirondack mountains, keeping it open for a friend of mine. Never broke anything....... Until he tried to pull a stuck Walters AWS double wing 60,000 pound plow truck out of frozen mud. That took out the right front axle at the knuckle. We fixed it for him and he's back plowing again, with the deuce, the Walters is dead.

Attachments

ranchand

I've always loved the look of those giant v plows:mrgreen: Theres one on the front cat grader around here that has eyes painted on it! Its Alive!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks