• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire/rim break down.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounded like some guys didn't know how to work on a deuce rim. I had to swap out some tires, so I took pics. Feel free to ask questions or add any info you feel important.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard work is its own reward. That you're tired only means you got some good work done today.

Great pics, thanks! Can't get more step-by-step than that...

JohnnyReb

Old tire mechanic used to throw a heavy blanket over the split rim just in case it had some unusual tension and decided to "jump up and bite you". I re-state OLD tire mechanic...

Like "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots...but there are no OLD BOLD pilots!"

Reactions: HDN

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a tire hammer to break the bead but whatever works :wink: . I'll add that you need to be carefull when sliding the wheel out of the tire so as not to damage the valve stem if you plan on re-using the tube ( not that you wasn't carefull I just didn't see it mentioned). If the rim is rusted bad on the inside sometimes you'll have to drive the wheel off the tire. I've got a set of 11.00s I'm going to put on my deuce but I've been putting it off. It's alot of work to change a whole set.
Never seen a "rechargable" spray can like that either. Where did you get it?

Scrounger

Thanks for the credit. Wedges make breaking down a split ring a lot easier than anything I’ve ever used, short of a tire machine. It doesn’t take long after a little practice; just ask CGarbee how long it took to change the tire on his “new” kitchen trailer.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Thanx for the how to.
I will now have to go out and pull all the old cracked rubber of the assortment of rims I have here.
If in good condition is there any reason not to reuse the tubes & flaps?
When re-assembling I assume you stuff the tube in, wrap the flap nto the rim and insert into the tire.
Then reverse the other steps.
I saw folks use a forklift to compress teh tire to ge the ring on.
What do you do when you dont have a fork lift, just work your way around backwards?
Then wrap chains thru the spokes when re-inflating using a long remote clip on air chuck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Gimpy, I am about to do this and have been reading everything I can get my hands on.

Where are the reassembly pics? :p

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I do things my way. I didn't feel like getting picked apart on re-assembly. Yes it is basicly a reverse order process. When I put the tube and flap in, I inflate the tube a little to take out any creases. You will have to air completely down to get the assembly back on the rim. I know some will not like it, but I put anti-sieze on the outside of the lock ring to help ease seating of the tire and promote easier breakdown later.

steelandcanvas

Thanks Robb, great thread! It's been years since I've broken a tire down, in fact I think it was Grafenwoher, Germany in '77. This definetly refreshed my memory. Neat trick with the silicone in the re-useable aerosol can.

CGarbee

You know, I have that exact same brand and size screwdriver in the toolbox... Never used it on a tire though... :) Inherited it from Grandpa (along with a high percentage of my tools...). :)

I used to use my duckbill hammer, but ever since Scrounger showed me the bit with wedges, I've been using them to break down the bead as well...

Good info. Thanks.

pa.rich

That wasnt rusted too badly, if you have alot of rust its almost impossible as I said on another thread. Even experienced tire men will sweat it out. Mine was so bad that perts of the tire bead edge stayed with the steel.Thanks gimp for the step by step. 8)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire changing work is never done... Need to sort through the 35+ tires/rims so the M108 and your M35 get some decent rubber.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks