• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce trailer build thread

shannondeese

"Moderators please bear with me on this. What I am building falls under both trailers and modifying Deuces. "
Now onto the meat and potatoes. I am building a 30 ft trailer to pull behind my Deuce. Well sorta pull. I happen to have an extra set of tandems and thought why not make a trailer that can be hooked to the Deuce and power the axles so in effect the trailer will be able to help when I am off road. So I ran the idea by a friend of mine. He owns High Angle Drive Line. After a few minutes / hours we came up with a plan. He has designed a driveshaft for me with a fuse able link so I won't blow any parts if I bind it up. He also has made a CV that will operate at 80 degrees angle. Far more than I will be turning. So here are the pictures and I'll post more as I build it. I am using 8" tall 2" wide 1/4 inch C channel to build it. so it will be strong enough to hold whatever I put on it.

Attachments

This has been talked about a few times. It is awesome that someone finally has the know how and is willing to give it a go. I am looking forward to following along on this.

RIDDLE1

Subscribed!

The only thing that has me worried is if the Deuce will have adequate power to turn all those tires. I'm pulling for you though!:beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What do you have in mind for cross members? I see you cut the C channel going across the walking beam suspension mount.

gungearz

Lol.... I understand. Just brings a lot of fab questions. I have a similar idea but I was going for half RV and half toy hauler on deuce suspension but I figured it would be to tall to work.

goldneagle

1 I wish you would rotate the pictures before you post them. It's a pain to look at stuff sideways!
2 Aren't those C-beams backwards compared to most trailers and vehicles?
3 Otherwise a neat idea

shannondeese

I'm not sure what's going on with the pictures. When I look at them on my computer they are correct. After I post them they rotate. I am going to put 5 main cross beams on it. And I am going to use the same size beams on the perimeter too. So it's going be plenty strong. The fun part is going to be making the wheel wells to clear the 395s when it does articulate.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HOLY COW, if you can pull this off it will be AWESOME!! Even if you abandon the articulated drive system, it's still a worthy project. Can't wait to see how this turns out!!!

Good work!! [thumbzup]

goldneagle

I'm not sure what's going on with the pictures. When I look at them on my computer they are correct. After I post them they rotate. I am going to put 5 main cross beams on it. And I am going to use the same size beams on the perimeter too. So it's going be plenty strong. The fun part is going to be making the wheel wells to clear the 395s when it does articulate.
Are you holding the camera vertical or horizontal? Some cameras compensate for the 90 degree and some don't. Maybe your pictures are not saved properly by your computer. Try an experiment where you slightly crop the picture and SAVE AS instead of SAVE. Post the new picture and see if it posts correctly.

shannondeese

Today I notched the ends of the main frame supports so I can weld the cross braces to it. I will post pics once I get it moved out of the garage on Saturday to install the front support beams and the rear cross beam.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks