• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce trailer build thread

shannondeese

Today I didn't make as much progress as I wanted too. But the back cross brace is installed and the support plates are all cut for the rest of the project. Cutting 6 inch triangles out of 1/4 inch plate takes a little more time than I wanted them to. Especially when every joint is going to have them top and bottom. That equals 50 plates. And I did some work on the Deuce too

Attachments

shannondeese

Jesse at High Angle Driveline has developed a CV joint for me that will operate at up 80 degrees. We are going to put a slip yoke on each side of the CV joint. If I break that then we are going to move the CV into a gimbal ring. I am hoping that the CV will work so I don't have to machine out a gimbal ring. From the pivot point back there will be a fuseable link that will blow the fuses before I blow a U-joint. I'll be running standard drive shafts for the most part. Just a few special parts.

shannondeese

I had to work for Uncle Sam this weekend and next too. So unfortunately I have made no progress this week or possibly next. I did a little on my Deuce but that was quick.

shannondeese

Today I loaded 5335 lbs into the bed of my Deuce today and went for a 50 mile drive. I did this to see how it handled the extra weight. A few people have expressed concerns about how the Deuce would handle the extra weight. So I was able to hold 50 MPH at 700 degrees on the EGT on flat land. The hill held at 45 at 1000 deg. The trailer will come in under that weight but it will have more drag so it should even out. This weekend I plan on having the trailer ready to hook to the Deuce. I'll post pics as I go.

shannondeese

I plan on hauling my 1992 F350 on the trailer. Which I will eventually get around to finishing. I started the Cummins conversion over a year ago. But as with most things. My stuff gets pushed to the back burner so I can build others peoples dreams. But it pays the bills.

plym49

Questions for you:

1 - Will you have some sort of clutch to disconnect the drive to the trailer? If so, how?

2 - When running in 16-wheel drive mode on hard surfaces (Deuce tandem and trailer tandem all powered up), given that there will be minute differences in tire diameters, could the trailer tandem not push the Deuce, or the Deuce pull (drag) the trailer?

Hence my question about a disconnect. Without that, would you need a center differential?

Please, if you can, post some pictures of that special drive shaft. It sounds awesome (80 degrees articulation - wow!).

shannondeese

Today was a very long day. I had a few friends over for all the sweet tea they could drink and a free lunch. We got a whole lot done. With a couple hiccoughs. I welded the tongue on the wrong angle. So it's tac welded upside down for now. Tomorrow I'll cut the welds and flip it. And I'm going to start the wheel wells. I still have to finish weld everything and put all the scab plates on every joint. Then hook up the brakes and lights. but that will be a week or so from now. Along with the new trailer jacks. I'm going with twin 48,000 lb jacks. As for the drive shaft joints I don't have any pictures of it yet. Once I get the rest of the trailer built I'll take it up to High Angle Driveline for the driveshaft fitment. I'll post them then.

Attachments

jesusgatos

That's a pretty serious dovetailed section hanging off the back of that trailer. Almost looks like it would defeat the whole point of having driven trailer axles. Meaning that it seems like anywhere you'd need driven trailer axles, the ass-end of that trailer is likely to be dragging. No?

rronning84

That's a pretty serious dovetailed section hanging off the back of that trailer. Almost looks like it would defeat the whole point of having driven trailer axles. Meaning that it seems like anywhere you'd need driven trailer axles, the ass-end of that trailer is likely to be dragging. No?
I kinda have to agree but aside from that the trailer is coming along great and I cant wait to see it done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks