• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce trip n/e KS to FL Orlando.

AmericanWeapons

Hey guys, we finally stopped for the night. We are near Chattanooga, tn and have about 600 miles left of our long slow journey. I am happy to say that the deuce is chugging along and no further issues up to this point. Thanks for everything guys and I'll let you know when we get back on the road in the am.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck and unless you want to add a lot of miles to your trip just go straight through Atlanta. The traffic in that place sucks no matter what.

Going south on I75 when you make the turn at 75&85 make sure you get from the right lanes to the left a couple of lanes as soon as you can because next thing you know you will be stuck in the right going west and not on 75.

Other than that I have only driven one time through there where I didn't really like it, last year going to the rally with Gimpy in front at dark after my medical incident. ;-)

It's just traffic.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Don't forget to post some picture documentation of this journey and glad things are now going your way.

FloridaAKM

I drove a Deuce recovery thru Atlanta this past summer & it was worst thing with the traffic jams, people cutting in front of me & running the clutch & brakes trying not to hit people who thought of the Deuce as just another truck. The worst part was being routed on the East bypass @ around 5:00 pm, due to being cutoff from the West bypass because of idiot Atlanta drivers. I will NEVER do that again; once back on I-75 South, it was smooth sailing back to Florida.

Glad your trip has been a safe one so far with just a fuel leak that you got fixed. Ooops, see that you had wheel cylinder issues too. Good luck getting those fixed also!

Good luck and unless you want to add a lot of miles to your trip just go straight through Atlanta. The traffic in that place sucks no matter what.

Going south on I75 when you make the turn at 75&85 make sure you get from the right lanes to the left a couple of lanes as soon as you can because next thing you know you will be stuck in the right going west and not on 75.

Other than that I have only driven one time through there where I didn't really like it, last year going to the rally with Gimpy in front at dark after my medical incident. ;-)

It's just traffic.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the Deuce Doctor can make a house call?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Maybe the Deuce Doctor can make a house call?
I'll be happy to help and I've convinced the local Napa to stock 4 of the correct M44 wheel cylinders for me, so I can get them.

AmericanWeapons

We are currently in cartersville, ga. res. was a little low nothing crazy. My question is how dangerous would it be to try to limp this to florida with a leaking wheel cylinder. It's leaking from the fitting but the fitting is tight

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are currently in cartersville, ga. res. was a little low nothing crazy. My question is how dangerous would it be to try to limp this to florida with a leaking wheel cylinder. It's leaking from the fitting but the fitting is tight
From the copper washers or the line ? leaking brakes are the same as no brakes .

FloridaAKM

If you limped in, checking the master cylinder often; you might make it. If the wheel cylinder takes a dump on an emergency stop for anything along the way...it could be a really bad day for you or who you might run into. Porkysplace is right, leaking brakes are the same as no brakes. Lady Luck & the courts sort this type of stuff out; you get to make the call.

I know a guy who would push the envelope to the extreme, against all odds & make it home early. I call him Teflon, because nothing sticks to him & he sides thru home base most every time.

Good luck on whatever you do to get home safely & in 1 piece!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is more likely the line is actually bad, if leaking from a tight fitting.

Remember, with a single circuit brake system you loose all brakes with a line failure.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just sent Clinto Sean's number as 2 heads are better than one, at least that's what my Pop always told me! Looks like it is just a weep, enough to goo the wheel but wasn't that low on fluid.

Andrmorr

This thread is highly educational for me since I just won a 5 ton in Atlanta and will be running Americanweapon's route backwards headed up to NC. I'm new to SS but really appreciate all the info I've been able to gather in prep for the recovery.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This thread is highly educational for me since I just won a 5 ton in Atlanta and will be running Americanweapon's route backwards headed up to NC. I'm new to SS but really appreciate all the info I've been able to gather in prep for the recovery.
What 5t did you get, the nice new dump maybe.

FloridaAKM

Well, then you are about ten miles from me right now on the other side of Gainesville. Weather is cloudy & 47 degrees, but hasn't started raining yet. Good luck with the recovery thru my/our area & on to Orlando where is should be warmer & dryer. Glad you got the leak slowed down to a slight ooze. Maybe you are made of the teflon material too. Take care & be safe for the remainder of your trip! Post of any problems that might arise as you pass so that we can help if needed!

Andrmorr

What 5t did you get, the nice new dump maybe.
Sir yes sir, got the M930A2. Talking to the yard now to schedule the load out. It should be an adventure but I'm hoping M_rphy doesnt call Shotgun on this ride. Am a little concerned about the dirt line on the front tires where you can see it had been flat...not happy with that on the front. Will the rear tire/rim fit on the front of an A2?
Really like your signature block...I'm new to SS but not new to trucks or forums so your sig block speaks volumes.
I see you help with recoveries in ATL so I'll keep your phone # handy if I need some local expertise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks