• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Wrecker Engine Swap

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was cool this morning. In the 18 years I've lived here, its the first time I saw frost. It was a lovely morning and warmed right up to the 60s. We have been blessed by a 3rd season this year. We normally have summer and January, this year we got February too. It's a beautiful thing. Here's a shot, looks like it belongs there eh?

Attachments

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Kenny what is that below the Engine data tag attached to the inside of the frame rail? part of the air system?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That be the primary fuel filter. That bracket, the filter and the whole copper line running back to the tank was reclaimed from a parts truck here. Still need to replace the element in that housing. There's another copper line that goes across that crossmember I put in that hoods up to the injection pump. There's also a line on the left frame rail that goes all the way back and across the frame. Its a return line for fuel not used. This too is copper and was reclaimed from the parts truck. Having a parts truck is the only way to do this swap.

PS, that primary bracket is normally mounted on top of the rail, I mounted it below. This buys another 3/4" clearance for alt belt adjustment.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert, he's gone. Left today at 0945 hrs. He said he would be in tomorrow at around 1700

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I insisted that I was going to take a day off and clean up the yard a bit. Didn't happen! Went out to drop the engine bolts in but they were off a bit. Took some creative persuasion but they're in and secure. Did a little air line work, swapped out to the low air warning sender to one with packard connectors, installed clutch linkage, intalled accellerator linkage, bolt in the jack shaft and a few other items. I'll try not to work on it tomorrow but doubt that I can resist.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air shift Sir. Oddly enough this truck is so rusty, the range selector is frozen as is the engagement rail of the transfer PTO. Thats why I haven't tried to sell the transfer PTO, I need to work it loose and see whats up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again I've failed to go outside and not do anything on the wrecker. Did a little pressure cleaning on the trucks in the AM. Got the PTO shimmed and installed today too. Laid out the air lines, did some work on the air pack plumbing and moved the truck to a different location. Fuel lines are almost complete too. Found my gasket for the in tank pump. At the rate I'm going, I might just lite it up tomorrow if I can get the air line secured and a governor line made up. Tomorrow will be an interesting day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, today was a somewhat productive day for the M108(A2). I replaced the air governor and finished plumbing all the air related items. I also got the pump in the tank and the tank mounted. Plumbed in the tank and bent a new fuel line going from the primary filter to the booster pump on the injection pump. Installed the PTO linkage and filled the tranny. Also added the necessary switches and started the temporary wiring harness. I learned something today too. I was unaware that the gauge panels between gassers and multis are different sizes. I put together a dash panel for a multifuel and tried to put it in but it doesn't fit. No worries, I'll strip a dash off one of these scrap trucks here. Got about an hour of wiring left and then I'll add oil and put some fuel in the tank and it will be start time. Tomorrow might just be the day it moves under it's own power, at least a few feet.

M35guy

well, you're makin progress, and at quite a fast pace too. I suppose those parts trucks are quite handy arent they?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't imagine trying this without a parts truck in the yard. It has been a huge help on many occasions. Can't wait to get the yard cleaned up but until the crane is operational, the parts trucks stay. Having a complete running multifuel truck to compare to is a big help too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much left of them Ryan. One was just the front half with the engine, tranny and front axle and springs stripped. I was given the cab and the frame cut came with it. The other is the remains of the pipeline truck. It too was stripped of the engine, tranny and front axle. It has some serious frame rust as well so nothing left here but parts. I like the bobbed deuce and favor the one Alex made at Idaho Motor Pool. Truth be known, I miss having a regular cargo truck and would like to have another.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Morning Kenny!
Is there any chance of getting first dibs on the data tag for the pipeline truck? Perhaps you have plans for it, thought I'd ask, though.
Also with all those fuel tanks, did you end up with an extra electrical connector for the fuel pump? My used tank/pump didn't come with one and I have the two pumps as you know. I'm using Packard connectors now.
Thanks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenneth,
this is what you do with the intrument panel when converting an old REO gasser to multifuel and you live thousands of miles away from the nearest "parts truck"! Many years ago I had to learn the same about differences in size. I still need to get the diesel dataplates for transmission/transfer case max. speeds, etc. (Who has/makes them?)

You are doing a great job! Just in case: before you start the engine don't forget to hook up a good accelerator return spring, otherwise it will "run away"!! :!:

Gerhard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks