• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential install Question HELP!!

andybritt2002

hey guys,

I took my center chunk section out of my rockwell axle to install a locker, went to put the bull gear back into the hole, put the races on the bearings, put the caps on and screwed the piece I highlighted in yellow in the pic down to squish the races onto the bearings etc. I marked the caps for which side they came off of etc so I know I have the right sides. How tight does this need to be?( the big circle screw in press with all the tabs on it" I used a flat bar to turn it, and what happens is after I get it screwed in as far as it was when i took it out..... the diff becomes very hard to turn then I cant at all by hand. Its not too terribly tight because if its much looser you can grab it and wiggle the whole thing around slightly. Did I accidently screw something up with the bearings on each end?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Are you doing this install sorta just winging it, sorta sounds like it, putting a rear together needs the specs, without them, a rear can die FAST, and wont take much, I don't have deuce diff. specs., should be in the -34 tm

Try here for the TMs
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/

Last edited:

spicergear

I've done several and am probably going to catch heat about this but...when I put them back together the original side lash tabbed ring thing you're talking about made the diff very tight at the factory setting. I went one tab of rotation less than the factory setting and finished the project(s). I've set up 4 or 6 now like this (its too early to think hard) and never had any problems whatsoever. Especially in a mud truck- back it off a tab and knock it back together. Make sure to relockwire the diff. Rockwells are really easy...just big and heavy. Also, you're not setting up a standard like ring and pinion when putting these back together either...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................. put the caps on and screwed the piece I highlighted in yellow in the pic down to squish the races onto the bearings etc.
Wrong procedure, study the TM....:)

Seriously, TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1, pages 10-91 to 10-95 tell you exactly how to do it.
(I could PM you these pages if you want)

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks