• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential install Question HELP!!

andybritt2002

hey guys,

I took my center chunk section out of my rockwell axle to install a locker, went to put the bull gear back into the hole, put the races on the bearings, put the caps on and screwed the piece I highlighted in yellow in the pic down to squish the races onto the bearings etc. I marked the caps for which side they came off of etc so I know I have the right sides. How tight does this need to be?( the big circle screw in press with all the tabs on it" I used a flat bar to turn it, and what happens is after I get it screwed in as far as it was when i took it out..... the diff becomes very hard to turn then I cant at all by hand. Its not too terribly tight because if its much looser you can grab it and wiggle the whole thing around slightly. Did I accidently screw something up with the bearings on each end?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Are you doing this install sorta just winging it, sorta sounds like it, putting a rear together needs the specs, without them, a rear can die FAST, and wont take much, I don't have deuce diff. specs., should be in the -34 tm

Try here for the TMs
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/

Last edited:

spicergear

I've done several and am probably going to catch heat about this but...when I put them back together the original side lash tabbed ring thing you're talking about made the diff very tight at the factory setting. I went one tab of rotation less than the factory setting and finished the project(s). I've set up 4 or 6 now like this (its too early to think hard) and never had any problems whatsoever. Especially in a mud truck- back it off a tab and knock it back together. Make sure to relockwire the diff. Rockwells are really easy...just big and heavy. Also, you're not setting up a standard like ring and pinion when putting these back together either...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................. put the caps on and screwed the piece I highlighted in yellow in the pic down to squish the races onto the bearings etc.
Wrong procedure, study the TM....:)

Seriously, TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1, pages 10-91 to 10-95 tell you exactly how to do it.
(I could PM you these pages if you want)

G.