• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disabling your deuce

Heath_h49008

The vast majority of theft I'm seeing and reading about is from scrap rats with torches, tools and trucks. If they come after your rig they won't need it running.... just time to cut and load.

Something to consider.

135gmc

The best security is neighbors. I'm lucky - I have a retired guy across the street and a stay-at-home mom next door. Other than that, a disconnect switch, pulling the fuel pump fuse, a cork in the sir intake, and pulling the front tires are all good ideas. But, like others have already said, if they want it, they'll get it.

jaymcb

with a substantial lack of fabrication skills, does anyone sell one of these lock setups for the on switch?

I'd REALLY like one of them to keep someone (including my OD-crazed 8 year old :) ) from screwing around with the truck.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember your secret cut-out switch is supposed to be "secret". I put a locking ball valve just behind the fuel filter on 5-Ton in addition to other electrical safeguards. Cuts off fuel flow and maintains prime during filter changes...two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I would be leary of connecting electricity to your truck, if the bad guy meets with a good ground he might cook in his own juices. No sympathy but it would be premedatated for you. I had a friend back in the 70s hooked a high voltage power supply from a TV to the chasis of his Camaro that they kept punching the locks out of. He sould tell everytime he got "one" because it would trip the circut breaker. Didn't kill anyone probably but it was around 15,000 volts at a very low amperage, like a stun gun, but sure would make you walk funny for a couple of days.:roll:

I have the standard Army chain on the steering wheel, a case hardened chain with a slip ring on one end that lassos the clutch and break pedal drawn up around the stearing colum and padlocked. I also have a hidden valve in the fuel line that I'm not going to say where. It's hard to find but really easy to open and close if you know where it is.2cents

For what it worth, when I'm going to be gone a while I park it facing down hill with the front bumper against a 3 foot White Oak Tree. Handy if I should ever actually catch some low life messing with my stuff.:twisted:

dmetalmiki

Mostly

they HAVE to open a door..? Mine have those "personal allarms" on SHORT cable..and when the doors are opened..THAT'S one heck of an UNBEARABLE racket!..and then there is a FUEL starvation TAP..AND the (usual) Electric MASTER switch. That should about do it..unless they are winching and pinching with no Curiosity!......hardly likely!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides the lock and chain, I remove the dogbones. I frequently hang the cargo truck from the M108

goldneagle

If you are going to put a lock on the KILL switch you need to put hasps and padlocks on the side panels and hood. Otherwise someone could just unscrew the cable of the kill lever to the IP.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce theft is very,very rare. Those things stick out like a sore thumb and draw a lot of attention going down the road and are slow.

As has already been mentioned, I'd be more worried about the scrap theives

Takai13

I was thinking along similar lines. Even if someone did manage to drive away in your deuce. It would be really, really hard to escape notice. 3 axles, 13K and OD green....this is not just another Honda folks.

caliber1

I got the Club on mine as it didn't come with the chain and lock. Got some locking door handles but don't think they'll do too much.

I kind of get a kick out of guys showing where their "secret" cut off switch is.. Sometimes I too forget that anyone can see these posts not just members here.. There could be someone on this site eyeballing your MV.. Sad to think so but... Just some food for thought..;-)
Nope, if you aren't a member, you can't see pics. I waited for a couple of months to be approved, and couldn't see pics the whole time.

Was thinking of making some of the shutdown lock things.

plym49

With a Deuce, the first exposure is a petty thief/crack addict. They will want to steal the batteries. The second exposure is a fuel thief, who wants to siphon your tank. The third kind wants something to scrap, so the spare and any steel part that can easily be whacked off will be at risk. The fourth kind is the vandal who will just break glass and whatever else for sitz and grins. The last one is the actual thief, whether for a joyride, to win a bar bet, or because they really want your truck for themselves.

Locking the engine kill knob does nothing because the thief just crawls up underneath and cuts the cable.

I like the idea of shutting off the fuel supply as a practical, daily anti-theft practice.

And removing the dog bones is just absolutely friggin' brilliant!!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And removing the dog bones is just absolutely friggin' brilliant!!!!
I think he was joking. Dog bones are not something you just remove and replace in 5 min. I would either sell my deuce or move if I had to remove the dog bones to keep it from getting stolen.

plym49

I think he was joking. Dog bones are not something you just remove and replace in 5 min. I would either sell my deuce or move if I had to remove the dog bones to keep it from getting stolen.
Nevertheless, there is probably no better way of immobilizing a Deuce short of welding it to the ground.

DeucesWild11

Nope, if you aren't a member, you can't see pics. I waited for a couple of months to be approved, and couldn't see pics the whole time.

Was thinking of making some of the shutdown lock things.
Ahh good point, I forgot you can't see pics.. but still not like it's that hard to become a member and view the photos.. A couple of months to be approved.. hmm guess I got lucky..I have begun to become a little more wary with all that has been going on with theft lately.. And after by back sunroom screen door was pushed in a little, not easy to do as the door sticks.. glad I had the chain lock on it.. Now I got lights dusk till dawn all around the house!

Sorry to get off thread.. But my 2 cents.. LIGHTS!!! With LED's using almost no electricity you can light up your property.. at least around your valuables.. for almost nothing.. dusk till dawn.. I bought 10 LED lanterns from Costco for about $30 each and they light up the perimeter very well for about $.005 each all night long.. so with 10 on that's like $.05 a day.. not too bad!! Even if my math is off.. worst case that's $.10 a day!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a local guy that had a big pond stocked with catfish. he had a bunch of trouble with people stopping by and catching his fish. He put several signs around the pond that said " Rattlesnake habit area, please don't disturb the snakes". This fishing came to an abrupt halt.

Maybe you could do something on the order of that theme. If you really wanted to be sure you could put some actual snakes in the truck. I'd be afraid I couldn't find them when I went to drive it though :shock:. Maybe a big fake snake coiled up under the seat that could be seen through a window or open door would work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks