• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diy rock sliders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankem-Deep

I made rock sliders for my M1028 after seeing some built in a Peterson's 4wheel and offroad article. (See Link)
1986 Chevy 1-ton Army Truck - Chevy Brand Pages - 4-Wheel & Off-Road

I though that it was a great Idea but wanted mine a little different. For one I didn't want them to be welded to the frame, I wanted them easily removable if need be. Two, I really didn't like how the supports were open on the bottom, seemed like it would just hold mud.

LIST OF MATERIALS THAT I USED:
  • Rock Slider main body and supports (2"x3"x1/8" rectangle tubing)
  • Round step tube (1-1/2" sch40 pipe)
  • Step tube supports (1-1/4" sch40 pipe)
  • (16) 7/16-20 bolts nuts washers and lock washers
  • 1/4" plate for the mounting brackets
You will need around 20 total feet of the rectangle tubing, I think I bought 24' just in case i messed up.

You will need about 15-16' total feet of the 1-1/2 sch40 pipe

You will need about 3' feet or so of the 1-1/4 sch40 pipe for the tube supports

You will need probably about 2'x2' foot piece of 1/4 thick plat for the mounting brackets

Attachments

Disciple

Wow! Nice work. Ive wanted something similar myself. I just picked up those same tires on H1 wheels and will be lifting 4" soon. I would love to do something similar on mine, then add a snorkel.
Looks great! How long did that take you?

Shankem-Deep

The best advise I can give if you plan on making these is mock up the mounts and braces using card board or poster board before ever making a cut on your steel. Use them as your templates. Makes things soooo much easier. I am a machinist so I have access to alot of tools that most guys may not. All you really need to make these is a welder, chop saw, cutting torch, and a muffler shop to bend the pipe. A portable band-saw would make cutting the rectangle tubing easier.

I used a CNC mill to make the braces for the pipe, but i cut it out from a piece of card board then drew it up in autocad. You could do the same thing with a steady hand and cutting torch or plasma cutter.

Attachments

Last edited:

Disciple

Ok. Well you're talking me out of it fast. I have access to the chop saw and welder, no torch. I have a better idea. Make a set for me and send me a bill! Could be a pretty lucrative little side business for you here. Interested? If so, how much?

Shankem-Deep

I would say around 8-10 hours total and about $150. Had some good friends help to. This project is worth while for sure, these things are super beefy. You could use a hi-lift jack to pick up the truck under the rock sliders if you needed to and not bend anything.
:beer:

Disciple

Are you running spacers on your rear wheels? The lug posts look shinier than normal. I just got spacers for the front end on mine, but not the rear. Wondering how goofy it will look if I don't also push the rear wheels out.

Shankem-Deep

Man the shipping alone would cost as much as materials. You can build these no problem, just takes some doing. They are one of the first things guys comment on!!:p

Disciple

That's why I want them. After I lift I'm worried I won't be able to swap tires easily even with a high-lift jack. Not to mention how handy it would be off road. I'm serious about buying a set from you, if interested PM me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
at least you did not make them out of PVC pipe...

Shankem-Deep

Few more tips for building these. Build your mounting plates first, drill and bolt to frame. (Be careful drilling through your frame, watch out for brake lines and such, you may have to move them a little) Once I got my mounts bolted to the frame I tac welded the head of one of the top bolts on each mounting plate to help with mounting once everything was welded up. Next you will build the rock slider body using the rectangle tubing. Cut them to the length you want(mine were 7' to the long top edge. Use jack stands to hold them in place under the cab and bed while you mock up the braces with your card board. Get your angles figured out, but you will have over hang where the braces attatches to the rock slider body. All you have to do is cut off the excess and cap and weld it with a piece of plate. You shoud have enough material to use some of the rectangle tubing for this. I'll post more as I think of it...

Attachments

Last edited:

Shankem-Deep

Yea, only two attach points due to the fuel tank being on the outside of the frame on the drivers side...would have done three otherwise. These things are **** for stout though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks