• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diy rock sliders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankem-Deep

More build tips:

Next I built my tube step part of the sliders using the 1-1/2 sch40 pipe. You want to take the measurment for the lengh of these on the short side of the angle you cut for the rock slider body. Subtract about 8" from each end to determine where to start the bend in the pipe. Note: you will want to start with excess length so that when you have each end of the pipe bent you will have room to get the height and angle you want. Make sure that these ends are bent on the same plane. Once you have the pipe bent ( I used a simple 45 deg bend on each end) use your jack stands to get the pipe level with the slider body and the upward angle if you want. Make sure your doors will clear and i kept mine inside the axle+tire width. Once you get them where you want finish cut and tac weld them to the slider body. Next comes the braces from the pipe to slider body using the 1-1/4 sch40. Use your card board to get the angle and saddle right. You may be able to use a hole saw in a drill press to cut the saddles. I used 3 supports on each slider equally spaced.

Attachments

1984CUCV

Shankem - Deep,

I must say like others here I am impressed with the work you did. Ever thought about selling the machined pieces like the angle braces and the bent tubes? For many, like me, that would be the hardest part. Getting the straight pieces and cutting to lenght is pretty straight forward. Its just the angle and machined pieces that would give us trouble as we do have the correct equipment to do the job right. I would be the first to buy the hard pieces from you. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Shankem-Deep

Honestly, I had no plans of selling these or a parts kit. But...there seems to be a good interest and since I have access to my M1028 and a couple buddies M1009's. I could just build a kit each and see if they sell and take orders accordingly. As I told another guy I am in the middle of setting up my shop for welding and fab work so it may be a few weeks yet. Thank you guys for your interest and comments.

jets1959

Honestly, I had no plans of selling these or a parts kit. But...there seems to be a good interest and since I have access to my M1028 and a couple buddies M1009's. I could just build a kit each and see if they sell and take orders accordingly. As I told another guy I am in the middle of setting up my shop for welding and fab work so it may be a few weeks yet. Thank you guys for your interest and comments.
Once you get you shop up and running I will take a set for my M1031 Thanks:grd:

TCUCV

Shankem ~ You definitely have neat work . . . is there anyway you could take a couple photos of how your rock sliders go around your gas tank on the drivers side? I'm wondering if I should put a brace on both sides of the gas tank like you or connections under the tank going to the rock sliders. Thanks for the help

Shankem-Deep

They basically mount the same on both sides. The drivers side front mounting plate is more square than the one on the passenger side. The rears both mount above the front rear spring perch. I wouldn't go under the tank with the braces seems like you would have a hard time mounting them that way. I am super happy with mine. I weigh 250 and can jump up and down on them and the only thing that moves is the suspension.

Attachments

ssdvc

How about a template and or some measurements so we can take advantage of your excellent idea?

Shankem-Deep

How about a template and or some measurements so we can take advantage of your excellent idea?

Not sure what your putting them on but my truck is the M1028. If I give you measurements that is what it will fit. I haven't built a set for the M1009 yet. Although my friends keeps asking me.

Shankem-Deep

I can make a set for the trucks for around $400 if the cost of materials are the same as when i built mine. I can try and get an estimate on shipping costs. Let me know if you guys are serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks