• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does the M35A3 really make a good FD Brush Truck

MRFD715

Well after months of runaround from the wonderful Iowa Department of Transportation we finally got our M35A3. We'll use the winter months here to put it together. I'll be sure to post some pictures of our progress here.

MRFD715

Here is what we're starting with. It's going to take some work but it's going to be worth it. The CTIS even works! First order of business is to find out what died in the heater and get rid of the smell, also need to get the cargo cover, bows, and troop seats out.

IMG-20121125-00088.jpg

MRFD715

Could any of you guys that have built brush rigs out of 6x6's post some pictures of the pump and plumbing on your rigs? We're in the process of deciding what we want to do there and are having a hard time deciding what will work the best. Thanks!

HFDm715

here is a pic of our brush truck, we received this truck from the forest fire service, and did all the mods ourself, we have used it in multiple brush fires, off road recivery for other dept brush trucks, and water evacuation and rescue in hurricane irene and sandy, I would be happy to detail what how we built this truck if you are intrested in going this route. I will tell you that you HAVE to check the tires, we blew a tire and luckily only did minor damage to the truck, but then bought 4 brand new tires, we are going to purchase 2 more new ones this year.

Duane 6X6.jpg

bgates

I have an m35A3 among many other military trucks of various ages and sizes. I use the A3 as a daily driver and as a trail truck. The only real problem with an A3 are the tires. Make sure you get some extras because nothing else uses those tires anymore and they are beginning to get expensive.

MRFD715

here is a pic of our brush truck, we received this truck from the forest fire service, and did all the mods ourself, we have used it in multiple brush fires, off road recivery for other dept brush trucks, and water evacuation and rescue in hurricane irene and sandy, I would be happy to detail what how we built this truck if you are intrested in going this route. I will tell you that you HAVE to check the tires, we blew a tire and luckily only did minor damage to the truck, but then bought 4 brand new tires, we are going to purchase 2 more new ones this year.

Duane View attachment 399585

I would be very interested in the details of your build. We're working with the exact same stuff as you have there and I would love to see how you put it together.

MRFD715

I have an m35A3 among many other military trucks of various ages and sizes. I use the A3 as a daily driver and as a trail truck. The only real problem with an A3 are the tires. Make sure you get some extras because nothing else uses those tires anymore and they are beginning to get expensive.

Thanks for the heads up on the tires, ours has 6 brand new ones on it, plus a brand new spare. I will start looking though to see if I can find us another set to have around.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they do the VFD I am with has one an A2 got stuck and I pulled it 200 yards backing out with 1000 gal of water in soft sand and it did grate
If you have 1000 gallons in it you are WAY overloaded and are going to KILL SOMEONE. You should check the capacities of the truck and put in the proper size tank. And maybe you won't get stuck with it. :soapbox: :doh:

Loco_Hosa

You asked about a winch, they are not inexpensive, but WARN does sell a 24v winch that would work just peachy for your build.

I would also ask if they have discounts for public service folks.

Icegore

Hey guys..Been reading this entire forum. We too have recently obtained a M35 for the purpose of turning it into a Brush Truck. I haven't seen any real layouts of the pumps and rigging. Can sombody please post pictures of these and would also like to see picks of nozzles mounted on the front of the truck to drive over grass fires and extinguish. Thanks for all the past post. They really cleared up alot of questions we had. another thing...any particular design for building the roll over protection bar.

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys..Been reading this entire forum. We too have recently obtained a M35 for the purpose of turning it into a Brush Truck. I haven't seen any real layouts of the pumps and rigging. Can sombody please post pictures of these and would also like to see picks of nozzles mounted on the front of the truck to drive over grass fires and extinguish. Thanks for all the past post. They really cleared up alot of questions we had. another thing...any particular design for building the roll over protection bar.
You could probably get a prefab unit that will slide right in, you won't have to reinvent the wheel. You should also take a look at putting in a Tri-Max CAFS unit. The only thing you'd need is power to the reel to make it work.

As for ROPS, get that done by a professional, don't just let Bubba do it.

MRFD715

Well it has been awhile since an update, but we had to put our project on hold for a little bit. We are working on it again now so that it's ready for the Fall fire season. Paint is done and in the next couple of weeks we'll get the box back on, the tank in, plumbing run, and electrical done. Right now we are working out the kinks of mounting the old winch off of our M54 onto the back of the A3, we will use hydraulics to power it rather than the PTO setup it originally had. Here are some pictures for you, I don't think it looks too bad in red and black.

IMG_20130828_141423_586.jpgIMG_20130828_141407_120.jpgIMG_20130828_141346_349.jpgIMG_20130828_141331_456.jpg

bgates

I have a 1999 A3 and I love it, but the bad part of it is the tires. They don't make them for the military anymore and they are expensive if you buy them new. Be careful because a rock and destroy the sidewall in a hurry. Better see if you can look around and find some spares. You're going to need them.

MRFD715

Thanks guys. We've got a lot of work to do yet, but it's definitely going to be worth it. After working on this thing I'm thinking it may be time for me to get an MV of my own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks