• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Donaldson Air Ram 4" Scoop H008154, US Source Found !

74M35A2

So the inlet area of the 5" Donaldson Air Ram scoop actually has less area than the ugly military mushroom cap. The Donaldson measures 5.5" x 6.5", and the mushroom measures 9" diameter with a 5" pipe up through it. Inlet velocity is probably pretty slow across both regardless, and in my opinion the Donald Duck looks way cooler, but if you are buying it to increase inlet area, it is a step backwards. I doubt the "ram air" effect is enough to make up the difference, as these trucks top out at 67mph or less. Just FYI.

infidel got me

I would think that any forced air into the intake pipe would be an improvement vs. a flat screen not even facing forward. I may be wrong but, in my mind that sits right with me.

MtnSnow

When you take into account the density of the wire mesh screening on the stock mushroom cap let alone the carc over-spray onto most of them, the actual total amount of air passing ability (CFM) is greatly diminished in comparison when compared to the Snorkel. Then we can get into another subject called the Venturi effect (airflow dynamics) where the air flow going across the stock mushroom cap when driving can actually pull air away from the intake where as with the snorkel the air flow is directed into the intake thus increasing the total CFM capability .

74M35A2

74M- See what you started. Those poor guys at Donaldson cant keep up. lol Rockwell it will get to you, Donaldson just put on a 3rd shift. aua
I know, right? They got 3 orders in a week. It should be like rental wedding tuxes. Groom's is free when best men rent theirs, but didn't happen. Love the avatar, that's who I'm named after, but I'm not nearly as cool as he is.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They must of changed something, I'm seeing "Economy Air: $33.38" for a total of $106.38 for the 4" version for us deuce boys.

74M35A2

I think there are Chinese ones available, does it say genuine Donaldson and/or have the lower case d with a circle around it (their trademark)?

infidel got me

Today I started my truck and was standing on the step looking for my cellphone and I could hear my turbo's faint whistle through the new snorkel. I did have it idled up a hair (maybe 1100 to 1200 rpm) waiting on it to build air. I never heard that before with the mushroom cap on it. So, with that said-- I think it was money well spent. I have to install my new led taillights before a good road test, but I will let you guys know if it seems any different.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Donaldson Air Ram 4" Scoop H008154, US Source Found !

So the inlet area of the 5" Donaldson Air Ram scoop actually has less area than the ugly military mushroom cap. The Donaldson measures 5.5" x 6.5", and the mushroom measures 9" diameter with a 5" pipe up through it. Inlet velocity is probably pretty slow across both regardless, and in my opinion the Donald Duck looks way cooler, but if you are buying it to increase inlet area, it is a step backwards. I doubt the "ram air" effect is enough to make up the difference, as these trucks top out at 67mph or less. Just FYI.
Is the difference in size irrelevant, due to the fact that they are both larger than the 5 inch intake?
Also would be very curious to know what the air velocity in MPH is inside the 5 inch stack is at 2100 RPM?
I would think that would tell you if you're getting any of ram effect,? if this was calculated…
Way be on my limited Mathmatical capabilities!!!

red

Been running one on my m816 wrecker with 395's. If I maintain 2000rpm on the highway I'm getting a bit over 6mpg. Elevation up here is right around 5000ft. Considering most say the wreckers get 3-4.5mpg on the highway I figure the air scoop and the modified air filter are helping.

74M35A2

Today I started my truck and was standing on the step looking for my cellphone and I could hear my turbo's faint whistle through the new snorkel. I did have it idled up a hair (maybe 1100 to 1200 rpm) waiting on it to build air. I never heard that before with the mushroom cap on it. So, with that said-- I think it was money well spent. I have to install my new led taillights before a good road test, but I will let you guys know if it seems any different.
Good thing you are not handler of the air impact on any NASCAR pit teams, it is taking you a month to put LED tail lights on. Quit working on Skeletor's lawnmower and let us know what's up with this snorkel, Cletus.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks