• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually Conversion (For looks)

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I HAVE a 84 gmc 4 door deuley,not a MV but has an x 997 eng 6.2 w th 400 may list it soon too. not running.

vinny-socom1

DRW w/box rear axles are roughly 10in wider, if you look at drw brake drums you will see the offset difference. Far better just to swap axles.

don't want to high-jack the thread, I did notice the brake drums but someone posted that they are running the stock axle with dual wheels, Just wondering how?

Vinny

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
echo assume you in CT I didnt see the western reserve letter ..
yankee lake is a trip.. alot fun to watch.

Yes, I'm in the heart of the Western Reserve.
If you ever watched "Mudslingers" on cable my bobb'd deuce can be seen running through the show they did at Yankee Lake in a couple places.

Also briefly spotted in the link while out on the trails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khC5sWGFvwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7uDdb3SDas&feature=related

http://outdoorchannel.com/Shows/Mudslingers.aspx

Last edited:

HillbillyWizard

So the stock SWR will accept dually rims without clearance issues?
No, won't work at all. We have helped many customers with DRW setups. Its already been mentioned in this thread but you'll need the dually hubs in front (or the military conversion from the M1028A2/A3) The back axle is a little tougher if you don't want to run a spacer. The inner dual will hit the drum.

Edit: Here is a fun one... an M1010 dually we did for a customer, cool truck
0903171448a.jpg 0903171449.jpg0903171447.jpg0903170021a.jpg
Next to a stock M1010
0903171451.jpg

Last edited:

ssdvc

No, won't work at all. We have helped many customers with DRW setups. Its already been mentioned in this thread but you'll need the dually hubs in front (or the military conversion from the M1028A2/A3) The back axle is a little tougher if you don't want to run a spacer. The inner dual will hit the drum.

Edit: Here is a fun one... an M1010 dually we did for a customer, cool truck
View attachment 750165 View attachment 750167View attachment 750168View attachment 750169
Next to a stock M1010
View attachment 750166
That is a sweet looking truck and conversion. Did you do fabricate the winch set up as well? Very interested in that for my 09.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a really cool truck John. I've been pondering something similar with my M1010. I was planning on using a chassis/cab axle. The body has a cross member in the way. I'd have to lift it. If it doesn't sell soon, I'm going to get started on it.

HillbillyWizard

Thanks for the comments.

Did you do fabricate the winch set up as well? Very interested in that for my 09.
SSDVC, The winch mount was through DIY 4x4.

That's a really cool truck John. I've been pondering something similar with my M1010. I was planning on using a chassis/cab axle. The body has a cross member in the way. I'd have to lift it.
For the M1010 above we installed a 5" lift. We had to do surgery on the ambulance body. We removed and reinforced the aluminum body to incorporate the fenders.
-HBW

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks John. I need to install that transfer case I got from you in my SECM before I can think about the 1010.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SSDVC, The winch mount was through DIY 4x4.
John, Is that the A-BOMB winch mount?

ssdvc

Ken,

I checked the DIY 4x4 site (thanks guys) and this is what they say:

These are constructed entirely from 1/4" thick steel. Designed to preserve approach angle as much as possible. TRIMMING on the front valance and grill is REQUIRED!! These are intended for offroading where a good approach angle is more important than a little "optional" sheet metal.

I am going to inquire about the parts and see what they have to say. I have a nice winch set up that I have had for several years now. It isn't doing me any good sitting in my basement. I need to get hot !1

Thank you

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have a winch Id love to mount on the truck. I have a mount that slides into the frame extentions but it sticks out too far and kills my approach angle.

1.75" seems to be the minimum spacer that you can get away with if you have a standard fleetside unmodified box.

FYI the RW hubs up front push the WMS out to 77", the D70 rear dually WMS is 73.5", the 14 bolt CUCV WMS is 68" and the D60 SRW WMS is 69" - so if you want perfect tracking on an SRW truck you need the longer studs and 1/2" spacers on the rear. If you are running the 14 bolt rear and dual tires with 1.75" spacers, you can use the SRW front hubs with 2.25" spacers and the front will track with the rear exactly - assuming your bodywork/lift/tires in the front still allows clearance

wayne461

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dually conversion.

Here's my setup. Dual wheel adapters and 19.5 wheels front and rear. I have a dually front axle also. The adapters are hub centric to both the axle and the wheels.20181229_145620.jpg20181229_145625.jpg20181229_150644.jpg20181229_150742.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks