• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DUKW Causes Heart Attack!!

zout

I called PB about an hour ago and they were just pullin into CAMO,

I got thrown to the curb like a wet dog and I did not even have time to pull any PIRATE crap on him over the phone - I think he has Troy and Tony running all the hoses they can find and a dispatcher digging a hole with the loader to try out the new DUKW that came in - I do not know as I am left out with all the rest of you.

See what happens when your not invited to a recovery :whistle: seems they passed right by here where we could have taken it up the YELLOW RIVER and mounted 50's to er ?

zout

Funnier yet - PB probably took all the pics with his phone - that he cannot get pics from (like last week car show pics) auaauaauaaua

Did ya all bring any Master Sergents with ya on that trip ?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Aight Den!! Here she is!

Zout, you know you would have been invited on the recovery but you work on Saturday...and we need you to sneak off on the 10th for the Parade!!:D

Attachments

zout

I have my tetnus shots up to date - so ya should have dropped that baby off over here today and we could have had it ready to go (at least towing) by the 10th.

Working Sat is a bummer when your brothers in arms are on a CAMO mission - I did really good holding off calling till around 17:00 wanting to hear how the extraction went.

Danger Ranger

So are you gonna make it into an Ark, or go full restore, or send it to Zout's, or send it to Clinto's, or what?????
Inquiring minds want to know...:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have my tetnus shots up to date - so ya should have dropped that baby off over here today and we could have had it ready to go (at least towing) by the 10th.
So are you gonna make it into an Ark, or go full restore, or send it to Zout's, or send it to Clinto's, or what?????
Inquiring minds want to know...:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:
She WILL NOT be a full restore or a trailer queen.

Believe it or not, most of what you see is surface rust and a good blasting will fix that!
There are only 3 small places on the outside that are rusted thru and they are on flat surfaces...easy patch welds.

Underneath is a different story...BUT...again flat surfaces...easily repaired.

All the basic stuff is there but no "accessories" and no wood items.

I will be in the "assessment phase" for a couple of months cause most of the Crew wants to "Float the Boat"!!!:D
My personal immediate goal is to stop the rust, prime/paint and get her moving/stopping.:D

Will I spend 50K hoping for 75-100K return?...NAW!!

Will I spend some money to keep her alive and represent the WWII Vets and her role in history?....Definately!

She came with most of the "essential" parts so this may be one of those projects where I do what I am comfortable doing financially, then passing her on to someone who wants to add on/complete the mission.

Oh...and she does have some moss "barnacles":shock:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel sorry for Tony and Troy.

RDUKW

She looks like she will live another day. It's amazing how ugly the can get and still be restored to a nice DUKW. What shape is the running gear in?

Ryan

RDUKW

Oh and congratulations joining the heard. When you find the frame number give Steve Greenberg a call so he can add your DUKW to the registry he is keeping.

Ryan

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Oh and congratulations joining the heard. When you find the frame number give Steve Greenberg a call so he can add your DUKW to the registry he is keeping.Ryan
Doc said he read somewhere that there are only about 200 known left out of about 21,000...does that sound about right??

RDUKW

Doc said he read somewhere that there are only about 200 known left out of about 21,000...does that sound about right??
That's probably not far off for original ones. On the other hand the tour industry has got to have at least 200. Have you figured out you hull number yet. I can't remember which side it is one but it is engraved between the rear axles on the frame / hull.

Ryan

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's probably not far off for original ones. On the other hand the tour industry has got to have at least 200. Have you figured out you hull number yet. I can't remember which side it is one but it is engraved between the rear axles on the frame / hull.Ryan
It's on the right/passenger side according to the owner...I haven't looked.

Two questions for you...

1..I'm told Gammagoat tires will fit the DUKW??

2..I paid $1200.00 for her... did I do good in your opinion?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DUKW tires are the same size(11.00-18) as Goat tires but, DUKW tires are 12 ply, and Goat tires are 6 ply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks