• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dukw progress thread

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK...looks like she's gonna be OD. I just can't let my buddy clinto stroke out.

I was more referring to you, Eddie (from the great white North), RDUKW, Quarks, renovate7 and all the other DUKW owning SS members and my jealousy, more than the color.

I do approve of the green though :D

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Today's update. The blaster called and had a priority mission for Ft Benning and ask me to come look at the DUKW to see if I would call it good for now. Plus...he didn't want to push it out in the open cause it's supposed to rain tonight and/or tomorrow and all his bays are full.

Oh well, we do the inside the hard way!!

Anyhoo, Troy and Tony went over and picked her up and slid her right into the bay we cleaned out for her Saturday.
I have to admit, I've missed the ole girl while she was gone!

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

RDUKW

She is looking good! It looks like you have a few extra brackets to grind off the back and the side. I would get some primer on that thing ASAP before you start getting any surface rust.

Ryan

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Looks good. You can always call "Blasters Are Us" to come finish the job.
Suprisingly, most of the rust on the interior is surface rust with only a few small areas that will require additional "attention".

Yes RDUKW priming is a priority now to stabilize what we've gained. We'll just sand/grind the areas that require patching/welding as we get to them. My "intention" is to have her sorta ready for static display at the airshow here 15-17 March or Doc will have a "hissy fit"!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Lookin mighty good PB! Ferro has a point, ya know? LOL
God bless,Tony
She DOES look good gray...and it looks even better after Troy got the first coat of GRAY primer on most of her today. (Sorry, no pics)

Just imagine how good she will look with the second coat of GRAY primer...just before she gets sprayed OD!!!:twisted:

ryan77

She DOES look good gray...and it looks even better after Troy got the first coat of GRAY primer on most of her today. (Sorry, no pics)

Just imagine how good she will look with the second coat of GRAY primer...just before she gets sprayed OD!!!:twisted:
I love the smell of OD sprayed in the morning!! Smells like victory!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You're a mean old bear. lol.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know I'm just mess'n with ya! yes, that jeep was awesome and the Navy guys along the route really perked up when they saw it.

I do still appreciate it immensely! Your the best PB! At what, I'm not sure yet, but you're the best at it! lol

I'm just causing desention in the ranks to ruffle feathers (or bear coats)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You know I'm just mess'n with ya! yes, that jeep was awesome and the Navy guys along the route really perked up when they saw it.

I do still appreciate it immensely! Your the best PB! At what, I'm not sure yet, but you're the best at it! lol

I'm just causing desention in the ranks to ruffle feathers (or bear coats)

That's what MB keeps sayin!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DUK history

Found a little DUKW trivia and a cool site with some GM history so thought I'd share. With your DUKW only moments away from completion, are you planning a big display to go along with it?

Here's a link and a snip of some info on the DUKW,
http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...al-brochures/GMC/100_YR_GMC_HISTORY_MAR09.pdf

In April GMC Truck Engineering began to build a prototype of model DUKW353 2½-ton 6x6 amphibious cargo/troop carrier truck for the US Army. After completion in June, that prototype passed Army acceptance test and a purchase contract was issued. Production started on November 10, culminating a very short concept-to-production period. This model was nicknamed the “Duck”.

Initially, Ducks were built on a Plant 2 assembly line which previously built buses.

During WW II, GMC built a total of 583,925 multi-drive military vehicles including: 528,829 6x6 trucks, 21,147 Ducks and 32 armored cars. 59 US War Department contracts were fulfilled plus contracts with Great Britain, France and other Allies. The value of GMC military sales during WW II totaled 1.5 billion dollars.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks