• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump Bed Conversion Questions

KsM715

Nice job[thumbzup] Id like to do that to my truck this upcoming spring or summer. Can you get some pics of how you did the hinge?

kiotiugly

I'll get some pictures of the hinge shortly. I ended up using a 1 1/2" shaft with some hubs that attached to the frame of the truck and frame of the bed.

The lift time is slow - I haven't timed it yet, though. I'll either get a video or at least time it some time. Thanks.

tm america

You dont have to run the pivot pin through the frame it can go behind the frame.i run a 12 volt pump on 24 volts works great.Been running mine like that for like 7 years..Make sure you run 24 volt relays..i used a starter relay from a deuce..My scissors setup forced me to raise the bed 3/4 of an inch.I just use 2x4 instead of the 1x4 they used from the factory.Do a search i think gringeltuabe make a set of hinges that still used the bumperettes real slick setup..You dont have to use pins that are any bigger that the ones on the cylinder they are taking the same load.So if the cylinder pins are 1.5 than 1.5 will be fine at the back

Attachments

appellandscaping

just to let you know there are buy it now kits on ebay for 1200.00 new and shipped comes with ten ton hoist hinges and 12v pump mounts up easy but have to use a 6 inch sub frame but it still looks good

ballencd

M35 Bobbed Dump Conversion

Folks,

I am still pretty new to this site and fairly new to M35's. I tried a few posts awhile back and they got lost so I will try again.

I am in the process of bobbing a M35 and adding a dump bed. I have cut the chassis down 32 inches and cut the bed (drop side) the same retaining the drop side function. I added a set of springs from a junk yard from a 22K box truck. I added about 11 inches to the drive shaft and added 3" spacer blocks to get the ride height back up to factory. I used 1/2" and 5/8" grade 8 bolts throughout. Removing the rivets was the most difficult part so far.

My problem.....

1) I want the dump to run off hydraulics

2) I want to add a PTO winch (I have the factory PTO and winch already)

3) I want to add hydraulic power steering

Questions.....

1) Can I use a double PTO of the type that bolts to the winch PTO for the lift? From pictures I have seen in the PTO area there is not any extra room and the brake parts are right in the way?

2) Where would I find this second PTO to attach to my winch PTO?

3) Can I install a hydraulic power steering pump on the front of the engine like on the 5 ton trucks (I understand that the radiator shroud needs to be modified to do this) and use the P/S pump for both steering and to lift the truck?

4) I was sold a PTO that (I was told by the seller) would attach to the rear of the M35 transfer case and would run the pump for the dump. The numbers on the PTO are ORD: 8327112 DT: KC 5500 and the description I found on the web is: 2520-00-832-7112 Case Asy Power Take KC5500 P138A P138A 8327112....any ideas as to what this PTO is for vehicle wise. The bolt pattern is larger then the M35....maybe the 5 ton???

I am thinking I can use a dump bed pump from a 5 ton unit but still need to get a PTO to power it.....any ideas.

All information will be greatly appreciated as this truck needs to be running soon and I would rather do it right the first time then have to patch it and change it later.

If I can find my pictures I will add them as soon as I can.

Thanks for the help!

Charlie

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) yes, you can use the accessory drive off the winch PTO (this is how the factory dumps are powered).

2) The accessory drive can be found but they can be pricey. I've seen them for $300 but it goes up from there.

3) Yes, you can install a PS pump off of a 5-ton multifuel. The PS pump will power the lift but it will be terribly slow.

4) I run my dump from a t-case PTO. it works great. If the bolt pattern is larger, I'd guess it's for a 5-ton.

A 5-ton dump pump is mounted to the tank and the tank is mounted inside the dump subframe. It would be much easier to find another pump from off of a old grain truck or something. I got my pump from Northern Tool (I think it was around $200). That was the pump only so I had to also mount a remote valve to control the dump. If you find a old grain truck pump the valve and pump will more than likely be built together.

Here's the link to my conversion- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...tarted-my-dump-conversion.html?highlight=dump

Last edited:

ballencd

Thanks for the info and the web site. Looked it over and you did a nice, neat job.

Where might I find a picture of the winch and accessory PTO mounted under a M35. I can't get my brain around it fitting but I have not seen an accessory drive in person either. There is not much room under there between the trans and the frame....???

It sounds like the accessory drive would get the pump lower then the transfer case method and make it easier to locate the reservoir?

After looking at your install I realized my (possible 5 ton PTO) does not have a control on it so it would run all the time the transfer case is engaged.....I don't think that woul have worked anyway....boooo.

Found the pics...I will try to attach.

Charlie

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

ballencd

Gringeltaube,

Thanks for the welcome and the pictures. I was thinking that the accessory PTO mounted to the cover plate location but it looks from your pictures that it mounts to the rear which makes sense and of course would fit that way. Very cool......now to find one that is affordable.

I have had this truck for about 12 years and have put only about 4000 miles on it. It has just over 11K now. I have to say it runs pretty good. The engine was in pieces and rusting in the bed when I got it but it did have 10 new tires on it!

I pulled my tractor for the first few years but don't have that need anymore so it has been sitting in the yard for about 6 years. I am looking forward to getting it back into service. I think I will need to add power steering soon but hoping that removing the second set of axles will help in that department. Adding a winch will not help with more weight on the front. I am thinking I will add the hydraulic steering found on the 5 tons....I have been told it will fit OK with some cowl trimming.

Thanks again

Charlie

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After looking at your install I realized my (possible 5 ton PTO) does not have a control on it so it would run all the time the transfer case is engaged.....I don't think that woul have worked anyway....boooo.
Sounds like a 5-ton wrecker t-case PTO. They don't have an engagement lever and run all the time the truck is in gear.

ballencd

M16ty

Thanks for the info on the PTO. Since it did not fit I will be needing to sell it so I can buy the accessory drive for the winch PTO and it is good to know what it goes on. It has a pump for lubrication on the side of it which I would assume would draw oil from the t-case and lube the gears. What did they use this pump for?

Thanks

Charlie

ballencd

Yes, Yes, Yes.....What I have is a pump that mounts to the PTO output of the transfer case directly but since it is for a different transfer case it is no good to me. I will probably go to a dual output PTO on the transmission and then install a pump behind that. Thanks for the correction. Charlie

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, you have a pump that mounts directly to a t-case. I don't know what you have then. I've never seen a direct mount pump on a MV. Now the t-case PTO does have a lube pump built in. It's only for lubricating the PTO.

big block 88

I went with electric on mine, 12V runnin off one battery. I have no uneven chargeing issues. Glad to see other have had the same isea. They work great as dumps

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M62 wrecker has a part time T-case pto. It is only on when I pull the lever.
Every M62 I've seen, the lever goes to the power divider. The PTO turns all the time and the power divider shifts in and out.

stancanpara

I went with electric on mine, 12V runnin off one battery. I have no uneven chargeing issues. Glad to see other have had the same isea. They work great as dumps
Can we see some picts of your set up? Looks good in your avatar! What cylinders did you use? frame work? Hinges? Pump and wiring?

Thanks!:grd:

ballencd

Bobbed M35 Dump Conversion Almost Done

I have almost completed my conversion. I used a Scott Level Lift 500DH which came with the hinges and 1-1/8" PINS. The hinges were a bit smaller then I expected and would have gone with larger had I built them myself......which I would next time. They are probably too small for a full deuce bed but mine was shortened about 32". I have attached pictures of the hinge for you to see along with the truck. I got the hoist kit without the sub-frame and found that to make it clear the cross members I had to build a sub-frame anyway. It worked out better as it is totally bolted to the truck to the factory bed mounts and can be removed as required. I still need to paint it, but need to move some dirt more, so will paint later. Good Luck on yours. Charlie

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks