• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East Coast Convoy 2008

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a lot of folks already talking about Haspin '08 and Rausch Creek '08, even a couple talking about Georgia '08. These are all great, glad folks are getting things planned that far in advance.

but also

We have the East Coast Convoy sneaking up on us, right along with the Aberdeen show. Was wondering if the website guys here in charge of the ECC webpage can see about an update of that website. I notice a lot of the pics are gone from past convoys, as is contact info for previous participants.

Who plans on joining the convoy this year?

mangus580

Re: RE: East Coast Convoy 2008

Mike_Pop said:
It's interesting how SS has taken over the convoy.
I'm not sure I'd quite say that... but it seems like it with probably 75% or more of ECC participants being members here...

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: East Coast Convoy 2008

Mike_Pop said:
They are members here because the MV list went south.
I sometimes wonder if the demise of that list, was 'improved technology' such as this forum and others.

That list was very limiting due to the ban on picture sharing and such. Also alot of crap to wade through. At least here, you can pick and choose what you want read... (not having to download what you dont want)

Seems to still be a few hold-overs on that list that havent appeared here yet though!

CGarbee

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: East Coast Convoy 2008

I'll actually will be posting blurbs on six or so forums that are frequented by folks who I know have participated in the ECC in the past, but the majority of participants are on this site...

I've been talking to the folks who have been working on the ECC website about updates for this year, and about working to get the historical info back online (I think that it's important for folks to see what, and who, have come before...).

I've talked to several folks who helped organize things last year about performing the same duties this year, and most have accepted (some can't make the Convoy this year and will be missed), but I've got spots to fill and can always use help, so if you want to help in any way, let me know.

My current thoughts are to bassically follow the same plan, schedule, and routes as last year with revisions made as needed to accomodate the needs of the folks in the individual serial units. One change I'd like to make is to have each serial report directly to the rally site instead of meeting up at Ollie's and convoying in at once. This way, we keep arriving, and arriving, and arriving... :)

In order to allow us to have a combined Convoy, one thought is to leave the rally on Friday evening and run over to a park that is located about six miles away (has a big old water powered mill, lots of grass, etc.). That way, we can have a big convoy, folks can ride in somebody else's vehicle, we can have some grass under our toes, and we can cook/eat without worrying about what the Rally folks are thinking... One issue that has been raised about doing this is the potential for folks to indulge in an excess quantity of adult beverage before the ride back to the rally, but I personally think that this is something we should be able to handle as I suspect that we will have more riders than drivers... I'd like to know what folks think about this ( the idea of a Friday convoy, eating offsite, and the ride back).

Speaking of eating on Friday, do we want a repeat of last year's menue (I'll tone down the heat and/or server up some plain for folks to sauce themselves), or do we want to have something different (chicken, fried turkey, spagetti, ??? ) I'm thinking that I'll be cooking something, and that we'll use the shirts as "recognition symbols" as we did last year.

Speaking of shirts... Anyone have any ideas for a design? The only thought that has come to me is to use a diagram showing the three lever light switch and its operation as a continuation of the "helpful" shirt design theme that we have used in the past (towbar tm, how to jump start, pre drive walk around, etc.). I've attached a copy of the diagram that I found, but I truly am open to suggestions...

Finally (at least for this post), the ECC will be arriving at Ripken Stadium on Thursday, May 8 (except for one serial that may arrive a day early as it did last year...). The Yellow Serial from the South will be overnighting in Doswell, VA, at the same Best Western at Kings Dominion as in previous years on Wednesday, May 7.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a cool idea, but I'd get rid of the 2 protrusions (cable connections on the back???) at the bottom of the switch.. It clutters the picture...

CGarbee

Mike_Pop said:
Cabell,

Are you running the show this year? I thought this was Bruce Kalin's project?
Bruce has asked me to take over the Convoy since he 1) sold his deuce, 2) isn't sure if he is going to Aberdeen this year, and 3) figured that I had been effectively running it for some time....

Mike_Pop

Ok...I had inquired from Bruce but never got a reply.

You know that I am always willing to help out. I've been helping since it's inception and would like to remain in the loop.

Will the web site be operartional sooner than it was last year?

I also have some other concerns from the Red Serial guys that would be better suited in a pm or email.

CGarbee

Mike_Pop said:
Ok...I had inquired from Bruce but never got a reply.

You know that I am always willing to help out. I've been helping since it's inception and would like to remain in the loop.

Will the web site be operartional sooner than it was last year?

I also have some other concerns from the Red Serial guys that would be better suited in a pm or email.
Thanks. I sent you a PM with a little more details of my recent contact with Bruce along with a request for assistance with the convoy again this year.

I hope (and am pushing) to have the website in operation sooner, and to recapture some of the historical info that has been lost. I really want it to be up all the time with the routes, schedule, etc. updated each year in October (as soon as the rally hosts have finallized thier dates...), but we seem to miss that date every year...

Please let me know what the guys are thinking, by whichever means you feel appropriate. It's the only way that we can make things better each year (and this goes for the rest of you as well).

Mike_Pop

Cabell,

For some historical info, go to the 2006 Convoy page which is still being hosted by Mike Maynard (thanks Mike!). Prior Convoy web sites were hosted by Delta Force and Bruce had designed them. I agree that we should have some pages on the site that show past convoys.

If I can be of any assistance as to the accuracy or need for info, don't hesitate to ask.

2006 East Coast Convoy:
http://eastcoastconvoy.mangusnet.com/index.htm

Cdub

Hey Guys,
I'm very much interested in joining with the ECC this year. Art of the MTA has been filling me in with most of the details. I've looked over the web site and have found this so far.

I will be joining up with the convoy in NJ at the Vince Lombari Service Area on the NJ TPK. I plan on bringing my five ton cargo M925a1. I most likely will be the back door to the convoy. Will I need the " Convoy Ahead " sign...??

Thanks,

Craig

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wooo hooo!
Can't wait for the convoy again! When I got my new job, I specified I couldn't come aboard unless I got that week off... :D

I like the switch idea for the shirt, and that BBQ we had last year was top notch Garbee!

halftrack

Re: RE: Re: RE: East Coast Convoy 2008

mangus580 said:
Mike_Pop said:
They are members here because the MV list went south.
I sometimes wonder if the demise of that list, was 'improved technology' such as this forum and others.

That list was very limiting due to the ban on picture sharing and such. Also alot of crap to wade through. At least here, you can pick and choose what you want read... (not having to download what you dont want)

Seems to still be a few hold-overs on that list that havent appeared here yet though!
Well said mangus. I believe it was getting out of control and some of it ( a lot of it) was starting to become non MV related. The list going away opened my eyes to SS and Thank God. I now see the light.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks