• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East Coast Convoy 2008

Mike_Pop

Cabell, any further information about the ECC? We're at about 6 weeks from Aberdeen...
Looks like the ball has been dropped again. Just like last year. No web site, no organization, no answers.

CGarbee

We have the same routes/meeting locations and schedules as last year. Got a shirt design and just got prices on them from the shirt folks this week. Still talking to the folks at Aberdeen about Friday food (they have a long list of issues with us having the party on site, and with us cooking on site...got a buddy looking into alternate locations for us to eat and on ways to get approval to cook a hog on site again since folks seemed to like the bbq and I've gotten requests to do it again..).
The website is a problem again this year.

Other than that, all you have to do is ask if you have a question and I, or one of the other folks organing the event, will answer, but I don't always get a chance to check the posts on this site as often as I'd like... So a direct email or PM may get you a faster response...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cabell, why can't we use the existing website, and just update it? Looks like eastcoastconvoy.com is up and running, is there a website developer out there who can possibly volunteer to provide some HTML services to get things ready for the ECC?

Let me know if there is any way I can help...

Mike_Pop

Services were offered months ago. Same as last year. Everything was supposed to be taken care of. Unfortunately, more importance is being placed on a party than the actual convoy.

CGarbee

No, I'd say that the person doing the website (who I agree could just change the image for the shirt, update the dates, etc. and let it rip...) has to keep his boss happy and thus has problems devoting the time to doing the updates although he thought that he did...

As far as effort in planning a party versus planning the actual convoy: Since we are using the same routes, times, and meeting places with the same individuals leading each serial group as last year, their doesn't need to be much effort in actual planning of those elemements... The party is an easy one as well, it's just a question of if what we want to do fits with what we can do, and how to modify things so that everyone is happy...

The folks at Aberdeen (the Rally organizers) have agreed to run the golf cart around the permimeter of the display area to ensure that each serial group can make a "parade" lap around the site upon arrival. Each serial group is going to report directly to the site instead of waiting for the rest to arrive as we have done in the past... The Friday night gathering is a chance for those who wish to meet the rest of the participants to do so since they won't get a chance at the Ollie's parking lot on Thursday.

Bob-M151A2

CGarbee said:
We have the same routes/meeting locations and schedules as last year. Got a shirt design and just got prices on them from the shirt folks this week. Still talking to the folks at Aberdeen about Friday food (they have a long list of issues with us having the party on site, and with us cooking on site...got a buddy looking into alternate locations for us to eat and on ways to get approval to cook a hog on site again since folks seemed to like the bbq and I've gotten requests to do it again..).
The website is a problem again this year.

Other than that, all you have to do is ask if you have a question and I, or one of the other folks organing the event, will answer, but I don't always get a chance to check the posts on this site as often as I'd like... So a direct email or PM may get you a faster response...
Hey Cabell,

How are you? Hope all is well and it looks like you're looking forward to Aberdeen again.

I tried emailing you the other day but I know you're probably very busy. On the Friday night thing, would my M151 Group be able to join you guys again this year? We'd be willing to pay our way (or buy the T-shirts again)... or whatever. We had a ball last year and parked all the MUTTs together for a bull session... lots of fun.

Please let me know, as I've got to make my announcement to the group pretty soon. TIA for any information. I personally plan on coming down with the Northern Serial again (5th year now), so I'll see you in the AO when I get there!

Bob Amon

CGarbee

Bob,
Shot you a reply email... Love to have your gang join us again this year, both in the convoy and the eats on Friday (looks like we will be convoying offsite to a local park, so you get some windshield time as well... ).

We're going to do the shirt deal again... :)

Bob-M151A2

art said:
The Red Serial will be taking the same route & times as last year.
We will be starting at the VL rest area NJTP and meeting the Blue Serial from Canada (Captw1 & crew).

Red Serial so far:
Art -M35A2 2 1/2 Cargo
C'dub -900 Series Big Mother 5tn Cargo
Mike Pop (If we can pry him away from God's country out west)
Any one else and your name on the list.

Great time! [thumbzup]
Art,

How are you? Hope you're looking forward to Aberdeen as much as I am again.

It sounds like the convoy serial plans haven't changed from the previous years, which suits me fine. I'm planning on joining you guys like I always do at the Truck Stop of America, Paulsboro, NJ, Exit 17 on I-295. Will probably be there before you arrive... coming out from Long Beach Island that Thursday morning.

Please confirm if these plans are the same as last year. Also, do I need my PRC-77? Kind of limited for storage in my little A2 but I'll bring it if some of us are set up for commo. Thanks in advance for any info.

Bob Amon

Bob-M151A2

CGarbee said:
Bob,
Shot you a reply email... Love to have your gang join us again this year, both in the convoy and the eats on Friday (looks like we will be convoying offsite to a local park, so you get some windshield time as well... ).

We're going to do the shirt deal again... :)
Thanks for the quick reply, Cabell.

The park thing sounds like a lot of fun and we'll be there either way. You could host it over by the HoneyPots for all we care. We all had a ball last year.

I'll give you a head count in a couple of weeks when I have a pretty solid figure. Thanks again!

CGarbee

We'll be running the same commo setup as last year... Same frequencies, etc. for the PRC25/77 and similar...

Phone numbers, frequency list, and channels (CB, walkie-talkie) will be sent out to participants the weekend before the Convoy.

Mike_Pop

Cabell,

I realize that the same routes are being used this year as last year. In fact, the routes have barely changed in the six years of the Convoy. However, there are a lot of newbies who are uninformed and have no place to go. I offered to be the PR person for the convoy but it's difficult to direct people to a nonexistant web site. If I recall, a web site was supposed to be up back in February. I offered my services for that too but was turned down.

It is my opinion that the ball is being dropped again, just like last year. Everything will happen at the last minute and I will get more people asking me to run it next year like they did last year. I still had people asking me at the Red Ball Show in 2007 if I would step in and take over. I've conceded the authority once again to you out of respect for Bruce Kalin. However, I think the whole event is suffering from lack of your involvment as a leader. I have nothing against you personally. My main concern is promotion, growth, and the survival of the convoy.

Mike_Pop

No, I'd say that the person doing the website (who I agree could just change the image for the shirt, update the dates, etc. and let it rip...) has to keep his boss happy and thus has problems devoting the time to doing the updates although he thought that he did
Cabell, If I recall...last year I was supposed to be updating the site. When I told you that it had to wait two weeks for me to retrieve the info off my home computer, you immediately got someone else to do it (which was in February of 2007) . Why the excuses this year? You've had plenty of volunteers to help with the organization of the convoy yet you still fumble. I'm sure the lack of enthusiasm will be directly related to the lack of participation in the convoy.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm unsure of the status of the Green Serial for 2008.

Last year, I volunteered to organize and lead a newly formed addition from the west for the 2007 ECC. We had participants from Ohio, Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Our group consisted of six vehicles (four deuces, a goat, and a cucv) that banded together for the entire 4-day round trip. We also had three other vehicles that joined us for short segments along the route.

Overall, the trip went well. Everyone made it to destination Aberdeen and then back home safely. . . . which is quite an astounding feat for a bunch of "old army trucks". We did have our share of first time woes and misfortune. Looking back, I think I made the schedule "too tight" with not enough time for contingentcies. However, we also needed to take a little more individual responsibility sticking to departure times and scheduled stops.

I don't believe that any of last year's green serial participants will be participating this year.
1) Myself and 2) gimpyrobb will attend once again, but have decided to travel by civilian vehicle. (wish we could go mv again, but cost is prohibitive.)
3) Westech is playing army at FLW.
4) CCATLETT has expressed that he won't be returning this year, I believe.
5) jfnemt1ff1 and 6) gilbert21/2ton have not been heard from in awhile and are presumed AWOL.

If anyone else would like to "take the reins" of the green serial, please speak up. I would be glad to assist and share what we learned.

:driver: [thumbzup] :beer: :grd:

Click here for the video: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=4&fid=file&pid=182

mangus580

JWC... me and Cabell had this exact conversation the other night. We presumed that the Green serial is decommissioned for this year.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get me wrong, . . . I had a great time with the convoy. I would love to do it again in the future. Things are different this year though.

Last year, the 1,170 mile trip was pretty hard on the old dump truck. I haven't had the time to do the proper PM to get ready for another.
I want to try to get to a few more local events like the Armed Forces Day in Findlay, OH and of course the 4th annual SS Rally at Haspin.
I am also trying get a new workshop built, and the price of fuel . . . .

mangus580

Junkyard Wars Crusher said:
Don't get me wrong, . . . I had a great time with the convoy. I would love to do it again in the future. Things are different this year though.

Last year, the 1,170 mile trip was pretty hard on the old dump truck. I haven't had the time to do the proper PM to get ready for another.
I want to try to get to a few more local events like the Armed Forces Day in Findlay, OH and of course the 4th annual SS Rally at Haspin.
I am also trying get a new workshop built, and the price of fuel . . . .
Understood.... I am only attending one day (if any) this year, and its mostly since I need to go pick something up from NOVA area in the next month anyway.

CGarbee

The website is up and running... www.eastcoastconvoy.com
Many thanks to Mangus580 and Amnon for all the work that they have put into it. Still to come are the list of participants and photos from prior convoys' (they have to resurect the info from three different servers that have hosted the site over the years), and some updates to the routes that due to the Serial's reporting directly to the rally site instead of loitering at Ollie's waiting for everyone to arrive for a combined entrance.

Plans are for each serial to have it's arrival anounced on the PA system at the rally and for them to send the golf cart around to ensure that the route around the rally site is open so that each serial can make a "parade lap" upon arrival, avoiding the traffic snarls that have prevented the group from making a lap it the past, as well as allowing everyone to get to the rally a little earlier.

We'll get a chance to have a combined convoy on Friday night when we leave the rally site to head to a local park for some food, fellowship, and grass under our feet...

m35a2kevin

hey guys,, this will be the first in five years, i wont be coming :( .
ive been lazy myself, ive got way to much work that has to be done to the duece, plus ten new tires that are still sitting in the bed.plus i cant afford the fuel. sound like a lame excuse, but im not as rich this year, as last.
but i figure on looking forward to next year
kevin gibson

Mike_Pop

The website is up and running... www.eastcoastconvoy.com
Many thanks to Mangus580 and Amnon for all the work that they have put into it. Still to come are the list of participants and photos from prior convoys' (they have to resurect the info from three different servers that have hosted the site over the years), and some updates to the routes that due to the Serial's reporting directly to the rally site instead of loitering at Ollie's waiting for everyone to arrive for a combined entrance.

Plans are for each serial to have it's arrival anounced on the PA system at the rally and for them to send the golf cart around to ensure that the route around the rally site is open so that each serial can make a "parade lap" upon arrival, avoiding the traffic snarls that have prevented the group from making a lap it the past, as well as allowing everyone to get to the rally a little earlier.

We'll get a chance to have a combined convoy on Friday night when we leave the rally site to head to a local park for some food, fellowship, and grass under our feet...
As always...too little, too late.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks