• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EMP Ready M1009 question

Scottsman

Being an electrical engineer and knowing a bit about EMP, I know that the voltage and current will be induced by the EM wave as it crosses electrical conductors. The longer the conductor, the more voltage and current will be induced. So, the power lines, copper telephone lines, and cable TV wires will have HUGE voltages and currents induced on them.

Saying that, the wires in your vehicle are both very short and inside a metal cage (the metal body). This means that the metal body of the vehicle will be the first thing the EMP reaches. The EMP would have to be EXTREMELY strong to generate more than a few volts. And when it passes, the voltage will dissipate. Think of a wave coming towards a ship. Unless the wave is HUGE, it will simply pass under the ship and the ship will return to normal.

So, for argument's sake, I'm wrong. The best thing you can do to protect your vehicles is to connect them to a GOOD ground. Believe it or not, most houses have a poor ground wire. Unfortunately in order to determine if you have a good ground, you need a special piece of equipment that isn't cheap. Alternately, you can drive several ground rods and then use an inexpensive ohm meter to measure the resistance from one to the other. Check the ground when the ground is fairly dry. A great ground would measure less than 1 ohm between rods, but even if it is more than that, connecting to several rods will reduce the resistance. Then connect all the rods together with a good bonding clamp and 8 AWG solid copper wire.

Make sure all the wires connecting the battery to the body are good. Take off the terminals and clean all the corrosion off the ground and put some electrolytic grease on them to prevent further corrosion. Now, if an EMP passes across the vehicle, any voltage that is generate gets passed (hopefully) harmlessly to ground.

Of course none of this does any good if you are killed by the nuclear blast or the radioactive fallout or you forget to connect your vehicle to the ground wire.:???:
Appreciate the information Blood. Research information on the "Carrington Event". I believe this took place in the 1880s (1889?) . It was caused by a large CME that released a powerful EMP that fried all the telegraph wires ... they literally caught on fire and burned down. Any info you can impart would be appreciated if you have perspective to add. IF that were to occur today, welcome to the 1800's. My concern isn't a nuke attack. My concern is the Sun. And based on the research and reports from NASA they appear concerned about "something" (NASA=never a straight answer) regarding the Sun as well. This event is completely harmless to our physical. The after effects of the grid burning down is another dire story. But nevertheless, I will need my truck operational for a day or so in this event to collect my daughters from school and make one more beer run. Just taking precautions

2deuce

Guys put a manual switch for the glow plugs on when their glow plug controller card goes bad. Instead of auto glow plug operation with the card it becomes manual with a switch and your finger tip. Do a search it has been well documented and easy to do.

Scottsman

AW MAN!!!
Everytime I get a good feeling about my life something like this comes along! LOL!!

I am on a strict schedule to be totally debt free, (business and personal) in May 2012 and living the good life.
It's bad enough that the world is scheduled to end in Dec 2012...now I have to worry about something even sooner??

Dang...better get the CAMO crew busy and get 8 deuces, 7 5tons, armor, gassers, jeeps etc etc etc... oh wait...we already did that part.

Gonna start constructing the Thunder Dome next month I guess......one man enters...and one man...gets eaten!!rofl
Hey PaPa Bear, sorry to be the bearer of bad news (pun intended). You mean you didn't get any of the Bush/Obama bail-out money? Yeah, sooner is correct, IMO. The good news is IF Sun fires up with one of these massive CME/EMPs, the US financial system will burn down with the grid and we'd all be debt free. Of course our savings would be worthless and we'd all be out of job but what the heck. I like your little collection. Lived in Atlanta for about 9 years back in the late 80's. Hated it but liked Columbus.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did note that the link shown on that one ended up CLOSED?

Because there is NO SOLID EMPIRICAL FACTS as to what will or will not happen.

Desert Deuce and I went round and round. He doesn't like me because of my attitude? Guess what? He's not the only person. Here or on other sites.

But also guess what? DON'T CARE.

Just because someone postulates something then gets challenges and gets their feathers in a huff? WHO CARES?

Apparently DD did.

Which is why it was closed. I don't back down and neither does DD.

The bottom line in this whole argument is that UNTIL it actually happens what will or will not occur is all strictly an educated guess. And that guess may or may not be correct.

Good luck with this subject, as it's a subject that has NO REAL PROOF AND NO SOLID ANSWERS because no one has set off an EMP device yet.

EXCEPT IN HOLLYWOOD.

:deadhorse:

Scottsman

Desert Deuce and I went round and round. He doesn't like me because of my attitude? Guess what? He's not the only person. Here or on other sites.

Just because someone postulates something then gets challenges and gets their feathers in a huff? WHO CARES?

Apparently DD did.

The bottom line in this whole argument is that UNTIL it actually happens what will or will not occur is all strictly an educated guess. And that guess may or may not be correct.

Good luck with this subject, as it's a subject that has NO REAL PROOF AND NO SOLID ANSWERS because no one has set off an EMP device yet.

EXCEPT IN HOLLYWOOD.

Yup, all speculation at this point. Reasonable people can agree to disagree. The only proof of the effects of EMP are in the lab and going back to the Carrington Event of the late 1800s. But whether or not it happens is all speculation, Agreed. Further, I'm not here to engage in the debate. It's a good intellectual debate but in the end It accomplishes nothing. I'm just interested in in making a modification to my CUCV so it's operable IF it were to occur. For me the debate is how best to modify the vehicle.

Chief_919

Appreciate the information, thanks. With regards to swapping out my glow plug system to a manual switch, can you be more specific. What i need to know is what kind of switch and where I might find this equipment. Also, are there printed instructions for such a procedure? Can you describe how this manual switch operates in terms of the operation of the vehicle... no more key ignition? Any cons to such a system? Confessing up front, my profession is far removed from that of a auto mechanic and my knowledge base is somewhat marginal. I am familiar with the basics but know enough to seek assistance when I'm over my head ... yeah, that's right, I'm a dumb ass. It appears the guy who recommended a Kettering is a dumb ass too. Thanks again. Scottsman
When you first turn the switch on, a small solid state circuit board energizes the glow plugs for a set time and turns the wait light on at the same time.

With a manual setup, you simply put a pushbutton on the dash, and your brain and finger repalce the small microchip on that circuit card. Push in the switch when you need to warm the glow plugs.

Positives- no failure prone circuit card, longer glow plug life because you don't have to energize them for warm starts.

Negatives- you ahve to enagge your brain and use your judgement when strating it instead of an automated proccess.

Do a search on the board and you can find the details where people have done it before.

Aside from that and the diode packs in your alternator, there isn't anything else that is prone to damage from anything like EMP. Once the 6.2 is running all you need is fuel and 12v to the solenoid on the injection pump to keep it running.

Scottsman

When you first turn the switch on, a small solid state circuit board energizes the glow plugs for a set time and turns the wait light on at the same time.

With a manual setup, you simply put a pushbutton on the dash, and your brain and finger repalce the small microchip on that circuit card. Push in the switch when you need to warm the glow plugs.

Positives- no failure prone circuit card, longer glow plug life because you don't have to energize them for warm starts.

Negatives- you ahve to enagge your brain and use your judgement when strating it instead of an automated proccess.

Do a search on the board and you can find the details where people have done it before.

Aside from that and the diode packs in your alternator, there isn't anything else that is prone to damage from anything like EMP. Once the 6.2 is running all you need is fuel and 12v to the solenoid on the injection pump to keep it running.
Thanks Chief. I appreciate the help.

Flyingvan911

I wonder if there will be another frenzy in 2012 like there was for Y2K. That will be fun to see. The guy who spends his life savings on a bunker and provisions then nothing happens. I do admit that kind of thing is sad but it also kind of comical.

I say live your life to the fullest each day. The Mayans may end the world in 2012 but a drunk driver may end your world tomorrow. You never know.

Scottsman

I wonder if there will be another frenzy in 2012 like there was for Y2K. That will be fun to see. The guy who spends his life savings on a bunker and provisions then nothing happens. I do admit that kind of thing is sad but it also kind of comical.

I say live your life to the fullest each day. The Mayans may end the world in 2012 but a drunk driver may end your world tomorrow. You never know.
Yeah, you know it . The next 24 months or so is going to be entertaining at the very least.

2deuce

If there is an asteroid on its way, do you think our Gov't would tell us?
I think, for what its worth, its just the end of their calendar. The day after that they start a new one. I was going to say they then get to slit the throats of a bunch of young virgins to celebrate, but I better not.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hey PaPa Bear, sorry to be the bearer of bad news (pun intended). You mean you didn't get any of the Bush/Obama bail-out money? Yeah, sooner is correct, IMO. The good news is IF Sun fires up with one of these massive CME/EMPs, the US financial system will burn down with the grid and we'd all be debt free. Of course our savings would be worthless and we'd all be out of job but what the heck. I like your little collection. Lived in Atlanta for about 9 years back in the late 80's. Hated it but liked Columbus.

Scottsman...thank you for making me remember all that. As a result of your excellent post I have changed my stragety!!

In Jan 2012 I'm gonna max out every credit card i have, borrow every dime I can against everything I own and start living the high life...LOL.

Er...just in case we are both are wrong...can ya put me and MB up for a spell? Like...til we die in 50 more years??

Or maybe I will stick with plan "A" and just ride it out!!

Scottsman

Thanks... more doom on top of doom. It seems to me Skynet a metaphor for the UN NWO ... just a thought. Once control is given over, wars are launched to distract the sheeple and cull the heard. We always seem to have wars in times of economic crisis.

Scottsman

Scottsman...thank you for making me remember all that. As a result of your excellent post I have changed my stragety!!

In Jan 2012 I'm gonna max out every credit card i have, borrow every dime I can against everything I own and start living the high life...LOL.

Er...just in case we are both are wrong...can ya put me and MB up for a spell? Like...til we die in 50 more years??

Or maybe I will stick with plan "A" and just ride it out!!
Hey Papabear ... stick with plan A.

sidlloyd

Apparently DD did.

EXCEPT IN HOLLYWOOD.

Actually, there is proof of the effects of an EMP blast. Happened in Hawaii during the nuclear testing in the Pacific. Set off a nuke 600 miles from Hawaii and fried the street lights in Hawaii. That's what got their attention to EMP in the first place. There are EMP testing machines that set off EMP surges and are used by the military to test ships and equipment. EMPs can also be generated locally by an explosive device and an energized coil. One article I read by an engineer recommended NOT grounding a Faraday cage.

Some diodes, solenoids and a manual glow plug sound good. I read that Delco makes a glow plug that won't fry if you manually hold the switch too long.

Scottsman

Actually, there is proof of the effects of an EMP blast. Happened in Hawaii during the nuclear testing in the Pacific. Set off a nuke 600 miles from Hawaii and fried the street lights in Hawaii. That's what got their attention to EMP in the first place. There are EMP testing machines that set off EMP surges and are used by the military to test ships and equipment. EMPs can also be generated locally by an explosive device and an energized coil. One article I read by an engineer recommended NOT grounding a Faraday cage.

Some diodes, solenoids and a manual glow plug sound good. I read that Delco makes a glow plug that won't fry if you manually hold the switch too long.
Sid, thanks for the info. I knew there was proof of the effects of EMP blast but not aware of what was experienced in Hawaii. The effects of EMP were also evident in what has become known as the Carrington Event, 1890 thereabouts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks