• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EMP Ready M1009 question

ZRacer

You'll get a magnified effect from a massive Coronal Mass Ejection that will be greater than an EMP (same effects) so any vehicle that will stop working from an EMP will also go down in a CME event. If you lose power then there won't be anything to run pumps to get fuel (gas or diesel) so any vehicles that would run will soon be out. Communication will be the first to go. We've already had satelites knocked out from minor solar flares let alone something major. Police, military, private security will all start to abandon their jobs when they figure out they need to take care of thier own families first.

Yes I believe most people to be decent, up until they see their kids or other loved ones starving to death because their isn't enough food to go around (again, read One Second After).

I'm hoping my deuce and M37 would be a couple of the vehicles that would survive either of these events and I can aid my neighbors and my family but make no mistake that when the Schumer Hits the Fan that it will be very small communities that stick together not the major cities and FEMA won't be around to dole out food.
First, let me state that I am nuclear engineer and have been studying this EMP phenomena for a while. To set the record straight, there are three types of EMP waves: E1, E2 and E3. A high altitude nuclear attack (HEMP) delivers all three types of waves. E1 is a very short duration wave (on the order of a billionth of a second) and is the one that will fry microelectronics. E2 is similar to lightning. E3 is a long wave and longer duration pulse that will damage power grids and some communications systems. A solar event only produces the E3 wave, so you don't have to worry about frying your vehicles electronics in the event of a CME.

One of the primary reasons for purchasing my M35A2 deuce and a half was that I consider it to be very robust against EMP. Keep in mind that both the Russians and the Chinese have a class of weapons called "Super EMP" weapons, which would produce huge field strengths and are designed specifically to knock out even EMP hardened communications and electronics (i.e., the level of hardness that our military communications and control systems are hardened to may not be enough to stop a Super EMP weapon from rendering then useless).

It should be noted that during the two North Koren nuclear tests, Iranian and Pakistani scientists were present at both of those tests. It should also be noted that the EMP Commission sponsored by Congress interviewed several Russian generals in 2003. They stated that there had been a brain drain from Russia and also China, and that several Russian and Chinese scientists had gone to work for North Korea to attempt to build Super EMP weapons. The Russian generals thought that it would take just a "couple of years" for the DPRK to be able to field Super EMP weapons (it's been 7 years now). If you recall, the first test by the DPRK was thought to be something of a "dud." However, that is exactly how a test of a Super EMP weapon would appear.

It should also be noted that the Iranians have been conducting test by launching missiles from a ship in the Caspian Sea and detonating them at apogee. Iran already has the Shahab-3 missile, which is a medium range missile that can reach any of its potential enemies in the Middle East (including Israel and Saudi Arabia). Why do they need to be testing ship launched missiles? Why, to reach other enemies which are NOT in the Middle East, of course (such as the U.S.A. - AKA the "Great Satan")!

Open source writings by the Chinese state quite clearly that any attack by them would begin with both an EMP and a cyber attack. Their writings also state that the U.S.A. is the most vulnerable nation to such an attack.

I have read both of the books noted in this thread ("One Second After" and "Lights Out"). Both are excellent and well worth reading. I would also recommend going to the EMPactAmerica.org website and listening to some of their blogspot radio broadcasts. Stunning and scary are two words that come to mind.

BTW, I just got back from a workshop last week at the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, PA. The topic of the workshop was "Military Planning for a Catastrophic Critical Infrastructure Event." (This could be caused by a cyber attack, HEMP or solar event.) The event was invitation only. The reason that I was invited was to discuss something that few people had talked about as a consequence of an EMP attack or great solar storm - the effects on a nuclear power plant. At this time, there is NO PLAN for any government assistance to come to help any nuclear plant in the event of an EMP or solar storm (or anyone else for that matter). If an EMP happens, don't expect ANY HELP FROM THE GOVERNMENT AT ALL. If the grid goes down, nuclear power plants have only between 7 and 30 days of fuel to operate their emergency diesel generators. Bottom line, if a nuclear plant drops off the grid and cannot get additional fuel, you are looking at a Chernobyl type of event - NOT from the reactor (it is safely housed in a containment building), but from the spent fuel pool. If spent fuel pool cooling is lost, the pool will boil away the water, there will be an exothermic reaction between the zirconium cladding and there will be a propagating zirconium fire which will likely burn the roof off of the building and release huge amounts of radioactive isotopes into the atmosphere. I urge anyone living within 50 miles downwind of a nuclear power plant to be prepared to "bug out" within 4 days of an EMP event. Here is a link to an article that was recently posted on survival blog about this event that gives more details.

Effects of an EMP Attack or Severe Solar Storm on Nuclear Power Plants, by B.Z. - SurvivalBlog.com

Make your preparations soon. My sources tell me that there may be an attack by hostile forces on the U.S.A. before the end of the year... No guarantee of course - just a warning.

Scottsman

ZRacer, I just read your article on survivalblog.com. Excellent work and thank you... great info. I checked out my location relative to Beaver Valley 1 and 2. Yeah, big bummer. I am exactly 57 miles nautical miles N by NE and I'm not too comfortable with that. I hate the news but glad you shared. Need to make some changes. BZ, Anything else you can share that would allow me and family early warning or better preparations would be much appreciated. I know the folks out here will receive no "official" warnings and will only know things have gone south, well after they've gone south.

ZRacer

Hey Scottsman, thanks for the compliments. My article is getting huge interest all around the world (more than I ever dreamed). There is even a former member of the EMP Commission that wants to present it to Congress!

The most important aspect of your location relative to a nuclear power plant is if you are downwind or upwind of it. For your case, 57 miles wouldn't be great if you were downwind, but you would be fine if you were upwind. You'll have to check your area for the prevailing wind patterns (although even those are not a certain guarantee).

BTW, the figures for dose quoted in my article are for ONE nuclear plant. Essentially, you can double that for two units (such as at Beaver Valley), however, it won't be exactly double nor will the two pools boil or catch fire at the same time since the refueling outages are staggered. So you would get a "one-two" punch at different times. Just something to be aware of...

If I learn anything else that might be helpful to the Steel Soldiers group that might help them and their families (that isn't classified) I will certainly post it here. Just make sure that you have your G.O.O.D. or B.O.B.s ready to go when you need to leave in a hurry! Frankly, I don't think that anyone will have ANY warning. A missile launched from a ship off the coast would reach apogee in just a very few minutes - no time for any warning. Even for a solar storm, a satellite currently about 1 million miles into space between the sun and the earth can only give us about 60 minutes warning. Not really very much time to do anything... except pray.

CycleJay

Hi guys..

I have been following this thread from time to time, and I see conflicting answers to some questions.

Now all I want to know, and would like a simple, brief & to the point yes/no answer,
to the following questions, so I can get ready or at least have peace of mind.

Will a CME make my M1009 inoperable either permanently or temporarily?

Will a EMP make my M1009 inoperable either permanently or temporarily?

Also, if my M1009 can be damaged by such events, what can I do to protect it,
so it will be operable after such events?

That is all I want to know, once and for all..

Thank you, very much, God bless and be with all of you, before, during, and after
events such as these, as well as at any other time, now and forever.

Good night,

CJ

Scottsman

Hey Scottsman, thanks for the compliments. My article is getting huge interest all around the world (more than I ever dreamed). There is even a former member of the EMP Commission that wants to present it to Congress!

The most important aspect of your location relative to a nuclear power plant is if you are downwind or upwind of it. For your case, 57 miles wouldn't be great if you were downwind, but you would be fine if you were upwind. You'll have to check your area for the prevailing wind patterns (although even those are not a certain guarantee).

BTW, the figures for dose quoted in my article are for ONE nuclear plant. Essentially, you can double that for two units (such as at Beaver Valley), however, it won't be exactly double nor will the two pools boil or catch fire at the same time since the refueling outages are staggered. So you would get a "one-two" punch at different times. Just something to be aware of...

If I learn anything else that might be helpful to the Steel Soldiers group that might help them and their families (that isn't classified) I will certainly post it here. Just make sure that you have your G.O.O.D. or B.O.B.s ready to go when you need to leave in a hurry! Frankly, I don't think that anyone will have ANY warning. A missile launched from a ship off the coast would reach apogee in just a very few minutes - no time for any warning. Even for a solar storm, a satellite currently about 1 million miles into space between the sun and the earth can only give us about 60 minutes warning. Not really very much time to do anything... except pray.

Thanks Z, Appreciate the reply. I've been aware/researching (reading other peoples research) the potential/greater probability for EMP either solar or HEMP for awhile and have time to do some simple planning. Warning is the biggest advantage anyone could have. My family has a cabin north by north west about 200 miles from beaver 1 and 2. The winds from the west travel from NW to East South East. Although i am 57 miles i'm North by North East of Beaver 1 and 2. I think it's iffy.... if the winds switch direction and blow north by north east instead of north by south east at the wrong time bad news. with warning or when i figure out why the whole grid is down I'm out of here IF IF i can travel on the roads. So, i realize nobody wants to get in trouble with the gov especially in your position regarding classified info, but you've got to find a way to pass critical information to the simple joe six pack folks and families who are aware and preparing because the gov is not going to provide any warning to anyone except their own privileged... you know as well as I they don't care about the lives of us sovereigns as long as they preserve themselves and their power base on the other side of this event... inhuman. Providing critical information at the right time will save the lives of many dads, moms, and their children. Mean while, i've been moving your essay around to some other internet groups i participate with and printing the information for my friends and neighbors who are of like mind. I realize your primary EMP concern is HEMP but are you aware of the information coming out of NASA... they are apparently concerned too, but their EMP concern is solar cycle 24.

Scottsman

Hi guys..

I have been following this thread from time to time, and I see conflicting answers to some questions.

Now all I want to know, and would like a simple, brief & to the point yes/no answer,
to the following questions, so I can get ready or at least have peace of mind.

Will a CME make my M1009 inoperable either permanently or temporarily?

Will a EMP make my M1009 inoperable either permanently or temporarily?

Also, if my M1009 can be damaged by such events, what can I do to protect it,
so it will be operable after such events?

That is all I want to know, once and for all..

Thank you, very much, God bless and be with all of you, before, during, and after
events such as these, as well as at any other time, now and forever.

Good night,

CJ
I am aware of the conflicting information as well ... and want to know definitively too but i really don't think anyone really knows for sure. In this thread there are procedures for modifying your M1009 to make it more EMP resistant than it already is. It's pretty simple and inexpensive. I moved forward with that to be on the safe side. I also purchased two back up alternators i keep in my faraday cage (along with communications and radio) just to be on the safe side. If the truck is damaged i'll change out the alternators (new diodes) and on my way... hopefully. If I have enough warning I will drive my vehicle into a protected covering.

ZRacer

You did note that the link shown on that one ended up CLOSED?

Because there is NO SOLID EMPIRICAL FACTS as to what will or will not happen.

Desert Deuce and I went round and round. He doesn't like me because of my attitude? Guess what? He's not the only person. Here or on other sites.

But also guess what? DON'T CARE.

Just because someone postulates something then gets challenges and gets their feathers in a huff? WHO CARES?

Apparently DD did.

Which is why it was closed. I don't back down and neither does DD.

The bottom line in this whole argument is that UNTIL it actually happens what will or will not occur is all strictly an educated guess. And that guess may or may not be correct.

Good luck with this subject, as it's a subject that has NO REAL PROOF AND NO SOLID ANSWERS because no one has set off an EMP device yet.

EXCEPT IN HOLLYWOOD.

:deadhorse:
I just wanted to respond to this reply.

There IS ample evidence of actual EMP effect from both HEMP and solar events.

The Carrington Event (1859) has been mentioned here many times. Also, in 1989, the province of Quebec, Canada went dark when it lost the entire power grid in 92 seconds. There was even a transformer that had its windings MELTED at the Salem nuclear power station in New Jersey from the same event.

Proof of EMP effect from HEMP can be linked to several nuclear weapons tests performed in the 1960's. The American test was named Starfish Prime. It took place above the ocean in the western Pacific. The effects were felt in Honolulu which was over 700 miles away! Street lights blew out, and many other strange an unexpected phenomenon happened due to this HEMP. In fact, Dr. Graham, the chairman of the EMP Commission, was a young scientist at the time and was tasked with studying the EMP results of that test.

The Russians had even more spectacular events caused by their heavy megaton device that was detonated over Kazakhstan, also in 1962. These effects, just released to the public in the late 1990's, shocked even the EMP Commission. Power lines even fell to the ground over 900km (ground measurement from Ground Zero over the target) away from the blast point! (All of this is now public domain stuff - anyone can look it up.)

Bottom line - EMP caused by HEMP or solar events is REAL.

One thing about solar events - the only EMP wave to be concerned about from a solar event is the E3 wave. This will primarily affect the power grid and long electrical lines. Your computers and such will likely be unaffected by this wave (it is the E1 wave of the HEMP which causes electronics to "fry"). That means that all of your vehicles will still run. That may be worse, actually, since all of the roads will be crowded with cars all going "somewhere" to escape - even though they may not know what they are escaping from!

ZRacer

Thanks Z, Appreciate the reply. I've been aware/researching (reading other peoples research) the potential/greater probability for EMP either solar or HEMP for awhile and have time to do some simple planning. Warning is the biggest advantage anyone could have. My family has a cabin north by north west about 200 miles from beaver 1 and 2. The winds from the west travel from NW to East South East. Although i am 57 miles i'm North by North East of Beaver 1 and 2. I think it's iffy.... if the winds switch direction and blow north by north east instead of north by south east at the wrong time bad news. with warning or when i figure out why the whole grid is down I'm out of here IF IF i can travel on the roads. So, i realize nobody wants to get in trouble with the gov especially in your position regarding classified info, but you've got to find a way to pass critical information to the simple joe six pack folks and families who are aware and preparing because the gov is not going to provide any warning to anyone except their own privileged... you know as well as I they don't care about the lives of us sovereigns as long as they preserve themselves and their power base on the other side of this event... inhuman. Providing critical information at the right time will save the lives of many dads, moms, and their children. Mean while, i've been moving your essay around to some other internet groups i participate with and printing the information for my friends and neighbors who are of like mind. I realize your primary EMP concern is HEMP but are you aware of the information coming out of NASA... they are apparently concerned too, but their EMP concern is solar cycle 24.

It sounds like you already have thought this through and have a plan - you are ahead of 98% of the public! I might just mention that there are nuclear plants in Ohio as well, and you should check the proximity of your cabin against those nuclear plants located to the west of that location.

I agree that critical info at the right time saves lives. As I said, I will do all that I can, but I will likely have no more warning than you do. We will likely all find out at the same time. As far as getting critical information out - that is why I wrote the article regarding nuclear power plants! I must also tell you that I HAVE NO ACCESS to classified information, and I don't work for the government (although I know some people who do). As it turns out, however, I now believe that the info regarding nuclear plants WAS classified (in more than one report). My article, however, was based on my personal opinion and research, and was not obtained from any classified source. And quite frankly, HEMP is not my primary concern - I am just as concerned about the solar aspect, as it would be nearly as devastating as a HEMP attack. The major difference would be that we would still have vehicles that run and some communications after a solar event. If you were already living off-grid with solar panels or wind power, you would hardly notice a solar event. Your critical needs would then become food and water.

And thanks for getting the word out and sharing my essay. I am gratified that the word is getting around so well. I really had no idea that so many people would read or be informed of my article, but I am glad to give at least some people a fighting chance that they might not otherwise have had.

Last edited:

Scottsman

It sounds like you already have thought this through and have a plan - you are ahead of 98% of the public! I might just mention that there are nuclear plants in Ohio as well, and you should check the proximity of your cabin against those nuclear plants located to the west of that location.

I agree that critical info at the right time saves lives. As I said, I will do all that I can, but I will likely have no more warning than you do. We will likely all find out at the same time. As far as getting critical information out - that is why I wrote the article regarding nuclear power plants! I must also tell you that I HAVE NO ACCESS to classified information, and I don't work for the government (although I know some people who do). As it turns out, however, I now believe that the info regarding nuclear plants WAS classified (in more than one report). My article, however, was based on my personal opinion and research, and was not obtained from any classified source. And quite frankly, HEMP is not my primary concern - I am just as concerned about the solar aspect, as it would be nearly as devastating as a HEMP attack. The major difference would be that we would still have vehicles that run and some communications after a solar event. If you were already living off-grid with solar panels or wind power, you would hardly notice a solar event. Your critical needs would then become food and water.

And thanks for getting the word out and sharing my essay. I am gratified that the word is getting around so well. I really had no idea that so many people would read or be informed of my article, but I am glad to give at least some people a fighting chance that they might not otherwise have had.
ZRacer, its been about 18 months or so since last discussed EMPs. The Japanese nuke disaster reminede me of your essay regarding the spent fuel ponds burning up which seemed to be the case. Since last, we have been experiencing quite an upsurge in solar flares and CMEs. Have read numerous NASA reports albeit whitewashed for public consumption, appear to indicate a bit of anxiety. Just wanted to touch base with you to find out if there is any additional information you may share with regards. Look forward to your reply.

militarysteel

a emp is only going to take out something with a microchip,
modern cars, communication, computers, sensitive equipment, is all,
anything in your truck would be safe, other then maybe the gages, but even those
i am pretty sure are analogue, however a TOYOTA prius, would be dead on the side of the road@

Scottsman

a emp is only going to take out something with a microchip,
modern cars, communication, computers, sensitive equipment, is all,
anything in your truck would be safe, other then maybe the gages, but even those
i am pretty sure are analogue, however a TOYOTA prius, would be dead on the side of the road@
Yup yup... my m1109 at 23 mpg would be looking pretty good in comparison

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hoping my deuce and M37 would be a couple of the vehicles that would survive either of these events and I can aid my neighbors and my family but make no mistake that when the Schumer Hits the Fan that it will be very small communities that stick together not the major cities and FEMA won't be around to dole out food.

Is there anything that you did to your deuce to make sure it will still run? Is there any spare parts that you will carry in case something burns out? Just asking as I am planning to get a deuce soon, and was wondering about what effect an EMP would have on it too.

Last edited:

Scottsman

Is there anything that you did to your deuce to make sure it will still run? Is there any spare parts that you will carry in case something burns out? Just asking as I am planning to get a deuce soon, and was wondering about what effect an EMP would have on it too.
Good morning commander
I have a M1009 CUCV. I installed a toggle switch to by pass the starter card and I keep two extra alternators. Its the solenoids in the alternator that im concerned with but easier to install a new alternator than change out the solenoids in a pinch. I plan on picking up extra glow plugs. I don't know about a deuce but i am thinking its likely similar. According to Zracer, our trucks are all ready resistant and he states the solar EMP emits a type of wave, E3 me thinks, which would not harm vehicles of our type or at least vehicles that dont have micro processors. Vehicles with the chips will be vulnerable... in theory. Good luck

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I apologize if this has been discussed in prior threads. Im a relative newbie. Purchased my M1009 last January. In great shape and I love it btw.

Here's my question: What parts must i be concerned with in the event of a strong EMP? I would like to store extra electrical parts susceptible to EMP in a faraday cage. Also, can anyone comment on the practicality of installing a Kettering Ignition System in the vehicle as a means of EMP proofing? Thanks.
In my opinion, get 2-4 dry cell battery's, you may loose a battery or two. I feel the 6.2 you have is good for the purpose you have intended. I vote BATTERY'S. Also of note: save a few glow plug cards and get a 500a marine DC shut off switch. This is what I did to prepare my M1009/ M1028.

Your truck is way more EMP proof as is over a Ford F450 or Range Rover or Dodge Ram Diesel with all the electroinics involved. And by far for any car.

Good luck.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
500a marine DC shut off switch, Need to look into that. Thanks
Tim, I figured if you were on you would chime in, The 500A DC boat disconnect key is good because it cuts off all power directly from the battery, The key switch is removable and is kinda like a anti theft device as well, I call it cheap insurance. I know I am Insurance poor.

If there is no power going to the internal devices thats good EMP protection as well. Not bad for $65.00

Again my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks