• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EMP Ready M1009 question

TexAndy

Electro magnetic pulse.

Magnetism inducing current in wires, just like in a generator (or an electric motor operated in reverse).

I would think that the real problem would be objects with long wires for current to be induced in. Like telephone lines. Not cars. I mean, if we get hit with an EMP or solar flare big enough to cause enough current to flow in even the smallest of electronic devices such that it destroys them... we're probably also getting hit with enough radiation for it to not matter from the perspective of the human body.

coyotegray

Electro magnetic pulse.

Magnetism inducing current in wires, just like in a generator (or an electric motor operated in reverse).

I would think that the real problem would be objects with long wires for current to be induced in. Like telephone lines. Not cars. I mean, if we get hit with an EMP or solar flare big enough to cause enough current to flow in even the smallest of electronic devices such that it destroys them... we're probably also getting hit with enough radiation for it to not matter from the perspective of the human body.
There you go...

Think of a EMP event like a TV or radio broadcast but much higher energy.
The most susceptible systems will be the electrical grid and wired communications.

The energy is collected by the grid and then concentrated at points where they converge like substations, transformers, etc where the damage is done.

You would need to be close for damage to a device such as a vehicle. You would most likely have much larger problems.

With that being said, there is nothing wrong with learning what parts of our MV's are the weak points and knowing how to either replace or bypass them... This knowledge is applicable in many instances other than an EMP attack..

My opinion is that this is our weak point as a nation and if we get into a major war our enemies will exploit it, as we will too.. and actually, already have on a small scale. Not EMP but the use of special techniques to deny the enemy the use of their power grid.

coyotegray

2013 will be an awesome year to pick up gensets and reloading equipment for a song.
Yes...

But anyone who po-poos Y2K just doesn't understand what could have happened and why it didn't.

At the time I worked for UPS. Millions of dollars and several years of work were invested to ensure that the Y2K issue didn't impact our systems. If no one had realized there was a problem it would have happened and would have been ugly..

Now, the whole 2012 thing is, in my opinion, a bunch of mumbojumbo baloney not based on anything solid or factual ..

coyotegray

To get back on the subject, sort of.

Has anyone push or pull started a CUCV with an automatic trans...? Can that even be done..? I have done it many times with a manual trans..

Scottsman

Yes...

But anyone who po-poos Y2K just doesn't understand what could have happened and why it didn't.

At the time I worked for UPS. Millions of dollars and several years of work were invested to ensure that the Y2K issue didn't impact our systems. If no one had realized there was a problem it would have happened and would have been ugly..

Now, the whole 2012 thing is, in my opinion, a bunch of mumbojumbo baloney not based on anything solid or factual ..
Hello SeaBee, good info on Y2K; I didn't know that... thanks. I am not interested in a debate or an argument but you need to begin researching some of the information coming out of NASA regarding what they are calling "Fluff". I know it sounds funny but they, NASA, appear to be very concerned about it. I am not interested in changing anybodies mind or convincing you of anything, just to make you aware of what the 2012 thing is as it relates to the Sun as far as NASA is concerned. There is a pretty well done research paper at the following web address: SickScent: The Coming. Read "The Coming, Part 1: The Celestial Convergence. Provides insight, opinion, and source material from NASA... for anyone interested.

1waterdog

One second after dot com, is a very good site. The owner of the site met with our top military to prepare what is on the site. He also wrote a fictional book based on what he has learned. I would recommend it to everyone. Remember it is fiction but it does make you think and plan ahead. The 9/11 commission said a HEMP (High Altitude EMP) was there #1 concern. I bought my truck because I have always wanted a military vehicle, but I was looking for a EMP vehicle. I am not looking to bug out but to be part of the solution after a problem. I am a ham operator and am working with people around me to restore communications locally if needed. HEMP is real, both the US and Russian armys have studied it. Russia has the best data. There are links to real science sites from: onesecondafter.com - Preparing for EMP
From what I have read DO NOT ground your car or Faraday box. Just as your tires protect you from lightning by not grounding out your vehicle the same is true about HEMP.

I have diesel stored so that I can help get water for my family and friends. I also have a plan to pull my kids out of PHX but they will have to meet me outside of town and I can take forest roads almost all the way there. They will be able to follow a river for a few days to get to where I can pick them up. YOU may think I am crazy, I am not just a Boy Scout.

BE PREPARED!

m38inmaine

On the military channel was a program on EMP. At White Sands Proving Ground they had/have an emp simulator. They drove a car through the field and it shut it right off, the same for a remote control plane. In a real world event, who knows.

2deuce

The chinese know more about our electric grid than we do and its not because they want to copy it but what I'm most concerned with now is a huge solar flare. I'm concerned but really know nothing about how it would affect the Earth. If it does happen its over with within seconds, is that correct? If it happens when North America is at night what happens? Do we have it made in the shade? Where is the 10% survivability come about? I see the extreme hardship but is there a zombie factor I'm missing? Looting on a massive scale? Are we not civilized?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2deuce,

My understanding is it doesn't matter day/night as a CME will travel the magnetosphere (pole to pole). The Carrington Event in the 1850's set telegraph poles on fire and if we had another occurance like that it would likely fry just about every transformer around so no power. Without power we're 3 days from total anarchy (just-in-time stocking of food stores will run out with no way to refrigerate or transport, no water/sewer). Survivability is based on who can survive the ensuing food riots and looting. Having a few extra Beans/Bullets/Band-aids and maybe a generator and extra fuel could mean being in that 10%.

Of course this is all hypathetical and probably won't happen but is it better to have an extra case of chili in the pantry now and not need it or be eating fire ants because you didn't have it?

Some good books to read to learn more would be:

Lucifer's Hammer - Niven/Pournelle (mid-70s book so has all the drawbacks of being 30 years old but still good)
Patriots - James Wesly Rawles (Founder of survivalblog.com - this is set about 30 miles from where I went to college in Idaho)
One Second After - William R. Forstchen (life after an EMP in SC)

Last edited:

2deuce

I think looting could be a big problem in some areas but I also think that people are basically good and we won't become animals. Generators will bring a premium but they are out there now as back up. I might be naive and have a higher opinion mankind than is deserved. I think people will help each other, and it won't be dog eat dog.

1waterdog

I think a solar flare will be a great hardship but an HEMP is where that 10% figure comes from. Your tractors and trucks that move food will still work after a solar flare. Police cars will still roll and there will be some communications. We raise pigs in my small town but the feed comes from back east. Without transportation we could not support our population base. I am an Officer in the state prison, without power or transportation it would only be days before we would have to let everyone out or kill people. we can't even run our kitchen on our back up power. Most of our officers live 1 hour or more away. There are good people out there, now is the time to plan with them how you will handle these problems.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a solar flare will be a great hardship but an HEMP is where that 10% figure comes from. Your tractors and trucks that move food will still work after a solar flare. Police cars will still roll and there will be some communications..
You'll get a magnified effect from a massive Coronal Mass Ejection that will be greater than an EMP (same effects) so any vehicle that will stop working from an EMP will also go down in a CME event. If you lose power then there won't be anything to run pumps to get fuel (gas or diesel) so any vehicles that would run will soon be out. Communication will be the first to go. We've already had satelites knocked out from minor solar flares let alone something major. Police, military, private security will all start to abandon their jobs when they figure out they need to take care of thier own families first.

Yes I believe most people to be decent, up until they see their kids or other loved ones starving to death because their isn't enough food to go around (again, read One Second After).

I'm hoping my deuce and M37 would be a couple of the vehicles that would survive either of these events and I can aid my neighbors and my family but make no mistake that when the Schumer Hits the Fan that it will be very small communities that stick together not the major cities and FEMA won't be around to dole out food.

Last edited:

2deuce

a massive Coronal ejection, would it have to be aimed at earth to be damaging and harmful. How often does this event occur?
2 of my children and myself are diabetic, we would be some of the 1st to go.

1waterdog

I have read one second after. My understanding, and I need to do more research but that our atmosphere would some what block or slow down the effects from the sun. Do you have any good sites that talk about CME? I have communication equipment that are protected waiting to be used after such an event. I also have enough food and fuel for at least a year. My kids are all hams but it is hard to get them to plan ahead they are so busy with school and new family. The lack of communications will be the end of Law enforcement. 16 to 24 Officers maintain 860 inmates. I would not step on the yard without communications unless everything was locked down. NO one working on there own will prosper only those who work with others would do well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks