• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine knocking LDS-456

Oerthedge21

Worked like an animal all day today, and got a **** of a lot done. Everything is together, wether or not it's together RIGHT we have yet to see, if it doesn't lock up or throw a rod within the first few minutes I'll call it good. Now I'm pretty much stuck until I get the injectors back. Called them today, and found out the tech was having trouble getting parts. Said the nozzles needed rebuilds and that it would run me about 200$ EACH for the parts from the only supplier she could find. Soooooo I went to white owl and ordered up a set of 2 hole nozzles for 26$ each, which she agreed was a far better idea since the 2 holes are a good improvement over the 1 holes my truck had. Will say I'm nervous as **** about running it when it's together, this is the first time I've ever rebuilt an engine this big, far different from a dirt bike or small tractor. I'll post up the TM pages I used for the pistons, heads, and valves tomorrow if I remember. IMG_20190922_182328466.jpgIMG_20190923_150028202_HDR.jpgIMG_20190923_160807541_HDR.jpgIMG_20190923_171835152.jpgIMG_20190923_184013838.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't worry about the size difference, motors are all the same. Glad to see its going well.

Funny about the place working on the injectors not finding the parts.

dmetalmiki

We just had 6 M35A2 injectors serviced, with two needing new parts, and the workshop had no problem getting any part, as long as they could read the numbers and letters on the injectors.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will say I'm nervous as **** about running it when it's together, this is the first time I've ever rebuilt an engine this big, far different from a dirt bike or small tractor.
Yup, I hear ya! There is apprehension when you first crank it over and it catches.....then relief when it settles into a smooth idle....followed by more apprehension of "but will it STAY together?". For me, that did not go away for many, many drives to follow. I am good now. It has been two years. If it wanted to grenade, I figure it would have done so by now.

We should have a support group for "first run after engine rebuild" sufferers here!

Oerthedge21

We just had 6 M35A2 injectors serviced, with two needing new parts, and the workshop had no problem getting any part, as long as they could read the numbers and letters on the injectors.
The shop I took it to was a small one, run and staffed by just a husbanf and wife. He does electrical work and she handles fuel systems. Their outreach isn't huge but their prices are far better than any other diesel shop around, and the customer service and communication there is unmatched with anything I've seen so far. She did manage to find a few parts but they were far more than what I can get them for NOS at some surplus dealers, that's more of what I meant when I said they couldn't find anything.

Oerthedge21

Filled it up with oil yesterday, still no leaks thanksfully. I figured it would pour since I put the oil pan up by myself, but so far so good. Got the stands out from underneath it, finished up the pyro install and put my interior back together. Injectors should be done early this coming week, and then it's time to see what happens. Gotta go find 10 gallons of coolant too, and see if we get a milkshake. Hope not, will update when the injectors come back

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A great time to to these little projects such as the pyro. If you are bored you can service the air compressor! Let me know if you want me to come up with other odd jobs for you! :)

Oerthedge21

Don't worry I have plenty of things left to fix before I get to those little odds and ends. Still need to do a major brake adjustment on all wheels, front axle boots and seals, possibly rear axle seals, who knows what else

Oerthedge21

Started adding coolant today while waiting for the tranny to drain, got back under to check the progress and saw coolant dripping. Been a while since my heart sank like that. Thankfully, upon closer inspection it was leaking out of the rear of the intake manifold where I forgot to tighten one of the countless nuts that hold it on. Always double check the intake nuts if you take it off. Just waiting on the injectors now, hoping for a call tomorrow, we'll see

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that awful feeling....and the relief when you find out that it is a quick fix!
Good that you found that now. If you had run the engine, you would also have burnt you hand on the exhaust manifold for good meaure while tightening the nut, just so Murphy can have a better laugh.

Oerthedge21

The shop called yesterday, nozzles I ordered were the wrong ones for my injector bodies. So now I have a bunch of two hole nozzles laying around that I don't need. I can get the NSN and PN off the boxes if anyone is interested, I'll sell them cheap. She gave me the PN I need to find so now it'll be probably another week before I get the right ones and get them back

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shop called yesterday, nozzles I ordered were the wrong ones for my injector bodies. So now I have a bunch of two hole nozzles laying around that I don't need. I can get the NSN and PN off the boxes if anyone is interested, I'll sell them cheap. She gave me the PN I need to find so now it'll be probably another week before I get the right ones and get them back
Not sure what those 1-hole nozzles are going to cost you, but you could buy the whole injector here, NOS.

Oerthedge21

I'm replacing the old 1 hole nozzles with the upgraded 2 hole versions. I figure if I'm gonna spend the money on new nozzles ill just get the better set as opposed to the less efficient 1 hole set. Plus I've read that the 2 hole nozzles are supposed to clean up the exhaust a bit, which is great because my LDS smokes like a train and it's somewhat annoying, plus less smoke means a cleaner burn which means a more efficient engine, so it's a win win no matter what.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure about the "not the right nozzle for the injector" business. I thought the nozzles were interchangeable, regardless of the injector (shim or no shim style). Not sure what the problem is?

Oerthedge21

I thought so too, but she said that the nozzle will not line up with the pins in the injector body and the needle inside the nozzle is totally different and will not seat right. I did, upon closer inspection, notice the top of the nozzle is flat as opposed to having a ring/groove cut into it like the nozzles that came out.

Oerthedge21

And I have a mix of shim and screw style bodies apparently, and these nozzles won't fit any of them so my guess is maybe they're not what I am told, or did the lds-427 or 465-2 use a different injector maybe, and these just so happen to be for one of those?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now I have a bunch of two hole nozzles laying around that I don't need. I can get the NSN and PN off the boxes if anyone is interested
Yes, please post the numbers. AFAIK, there is only one existing model nozzle with the 2-holes (P/N 7748882).
From what you said, that the two-holes don't work in your holders, I assumed you had to go back to the one-hole nozzles.

Leaves me wondering what exactly is wrong with those you already got?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks