• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil centrifuge on an M35A2 multifuel

Ok guys I have been researching bypass engine oil centrifuges for the last few months.I wanted to do a write up on it to remove some of the mystery behind a simple part and hopefully save you guys some money. I finally purchased one from PAbiodiesel supply. I purchased the 65GPH model I just could not justifiably spend almost a 1000 dollars on the Spinner II. The only difference between the two is the drain back is air forced on the Spinner II and PABs is gravity drain back and less parts. I will be using the oil sample port to feed the centrifuge and either the valve cover or breather tube or turbo drain as possible drainback locations.This install should cost 200$ or less You will need to fab a drain back and a mount possibly .Heres a link to my first youtube video and first series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkJsqqZMHNw

Attachments

Last edited:

61sleepercab

I have seen permanent self powered spin filter units for less $. If you could figure out gph or gmm recommendations from a brand then you could shop backwards for a unit. I can't find my bookmarks but I searched for waste oil/ vegetable fuel filters and found good looking units for $250.00.

Older stationary power plants had only centrifuge filters and no spin on filters. Willys jeep and other 1950"s engines had bypass add on filters that only partially filtered the oil. Your plan is to do the same with the centrifuge filtering part of the oil and then return to the slump at no pressure. When you do that your filter flow is a loss to the available engine oil lubrication stream. You are running the engine like it has bad bearings causing low oil pressure possibly. Be careful,bigger is not better for flow here.
Full flow units clean all oil under pressure. Different ball game than a bypass oil filter . Hope this tidbit helps. Mark

Thanks rob I ll look the reasoning behind this upgrade is I drive my truck alot I put over 4000 miles last year on her and the less wear and oil changes= more $ stays in mammas purse= not sleeping on the couch AS MUCH LOL.

parkland

In my line of work, I've seen the "spiiner II" installed on lots of older detroit diesel engines with success on oil drilling rigs.

Well I bought my centrifuge I bought a 65gph model from PA biodiesel I spoke to the owner and was easy to talk to and his site has a ton of info. I payed 149.99 for it and I will be posting up the install.

Hainebd

When I was doing truck work for a living I change a large lube refiner filter that conditioned the oil along with filtering. This looks better but how do you add the necessary additives to the oil when needed? Do you sample? Running 4,000 a year is nothing, trucks I worked on did that in a week or less. Every two weeks do oil change. Oil sampling showed no negative issues. Will centrifuge separate water? That would big big issue with such low miles per year.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What powers the unit to spin? I thought his site had said that it needs a 1/2hp electric motor to spin them?
A unit mounted on a truck uses the oil pressure of the engine.

I could be wrong but I doubt you are going to run a 115VAC extension around behind you as you are driving down the road. :)

EDIT:

Actually it looks like all the units are pressure powered. The electric motor on a standalone WMO/WVO setup has a pump driven by an electric motor to supply the driving pressure.

http://pabiodieselsupply.com/shop/oil-centrifuge-c-100.html

Last edited:
Yes the centrifuge is powered by engine pressure and the TMs say at idle 10psi oil pressure is acceptable however the jets are small and I highly doubt your pressure will drop much if at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks