• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust Brake on an M35A2

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
why not just engineer custom rocker arms that will act like a jake with an electronic controller?? you only need 6 of them, should not be that hard to do.

Chris Deuce

So I ended up making a pressure relief valve in the butterfly plate for the exhaust brake and designed it for 25-27 psi backpressure. Still need to take it out for some testing/fine tuning after I figure out the front drum brakes, but glad to say it's done. I also installed a pressure gauge tapped off the exhaust to make sure I keep it below 30 psi. I think the electronic rocker arms would be a cool and effective way to do it, but would be very costly and would add another electrical system to fail. Trying to keep this as reliable as possible.

Attachments

rustystud

So I ended up making a pressure relief valve in the butterfly plate for the exhaust brake and designed it for 25-27 psi backpressure. Still need to take it out for some testing/fine tuning after I figure out the front drum brakes, but glad to say it's done. I also installed a pressure gauge tapped off the exhaust to make sure I keep it below 30 psi. I think the electronic rocker arms would be a cool and effective way to do it, but would be very costly and would add another electrical system to fail. Trying to keep this as reliable as possible.
How did you test the pressure relief valve ?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
do you think that spring is going to be happy running at 1200°F??

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the spring is on the wrong side of the butterfly. Look at the flow arrow and look at the bevel of the butterfly.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i don't see why. simple concept just kick open the exhaust immediately after injection. make rockers with small hyd plunger actuator on valve end, sensor on crank and cam electronics would be easy.
Ever seen compression brakes and how they work? Not simple by any means, it all needs to be timed or massive engine damage will result.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Looks like the spring is on the wrong side of the butterfly. Look at the flow arrow and look at the bevel of the butterfly.
spring should be on turbo side. looks right to me. timing for an exhaust brake is very simple. i realize it needs to be exact but the days of electronics have been here for quite a while.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
How did you test the pressure relief valve ?
would be easy to calculate. area of drill holes times 30, set spring to open at that pressure. so if those are 1/2" holes and there are 4 of them it should take 23.55 lbs pressure on stud to open valve meaning it would open at 30 psi.

Last edited:

Chris Deuce

It shouldn't have too much problem surviving the heat, but the pre-loaded force may decrease as the spring reaches those temperatures. I'll have to test it out at those temperatures and report back. It does have an interesting sound when it's working, more of a "pshhhh" when operating, but not too loud. That's exactly how I calculated it. I setup 3 3/8" holes and 4 3/16" holes to fill the area, calculated the total area times 25 psi to get the preload needed, calculated preload desired on spring and the associated preloaded height and compressed it to that height. Left the preloaded pressure at 25 psi to account for increased pressure when the relief valve opens. Based on the area requirements it should run around 27 psi when the relief valve is fully opened.

Chris Deuce

The way the butterfly valve in the Pacbrake is setup and the way it turns wouldn't leave enough clearance on the other side, there's just barely enough clearance as is.

plym49

I realize that I can probably Google it, but would someone please explain how this type of engine brake and a Jake Brake works?

plym49

Thanks, cool, a Jake Brake selectively keeps some or all exhaust valves open.

OP seems to be doing something else. Unless I am mistaken he has a butterfly closing off the exhaust. There is obviously more to it; how does OP's setup work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks