• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

expensive lights

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when i walk outside, i like to see things set up the way I want it. i dont like the faded junky looking paint thats on the trucks when they are purchased, i paint them. i upgrade, ITS WHAT I DO.
I'm with you there. I like them to look nice.

p.s. ill be dead by 50...

You might be surprised! I was :-D

The only reason the LED lights are worth it to me is for safety. The original incandescent lights are really dim and I really hate the thoughts of hurting a pedestrian or kid on a bycycle just because I was too cheap to upgrade my lighting system. So I ponied up and bought them and am glad I did.

If it gives me an extra second or two to react to a situation, it is totally worth it. After a very scary close call, I am in the process of upgrading all of my lighting and safety systems.

Welder Sam

I'm with you there. I like them to look nice.

Thanks!

You might be surprised! I was :-D

Maybe...

The only reason the LED lights are worth it to me is for safety. The original incandescent lights are really dim and I really hate the thoughts of hurting a pedestrian or kid on a bycycle just because I was too cheap to upgrade my lighting system. So I ponied up and bought them and am glad I did.

If it gives me an extra second or two to react to a situation, it is totally worth it. After a very scary close call, I am in the process of upgrading all of my lighting and safety systems.
100% agree! The upgrade is far easier on the mind and pocketbook than hurting someone or a bunch of somenodies

Heath_h49008

Remember the LED flashlights when they first came out? $100+ each.

Now they are $20 for an LED of (at least) twice the output as the model of 2000.

The pace of LED tech is advancing even faster than 10 years ago with the new push for residential use to replace those toxic CFLs.

5 years and these will be the same price as an ounce of silver. I say that because the $ might be worth a bit less than it is now by the time that happens :cry:... so while the price may stay the same in $'s, the actual value of the LED will be only a fraction of what it was.

In 20 years, incandescent lighting will be a decorating choice at most, if even available. (Halogens might still exist for certain applications)

IMHO... if you have the cash and want to wow the boys and girls... go for it. If you want them for a practical reason, wait a bit longer while the price drops and the tech improves.

dmetalmiki

Those Hella 24V Halogens are just as bright and clear. for $40 each IIRC
I wholy agree..and the Halogens do not blind like LED's do ..ever try to "steer" in the rain on a dark night when those idiotic LED lamps come at you? there are now reports coming out of just such accidents, in blinding effects. Oh yes the people that have them can see? ok.. Trouble is, what about all the rest of the road users?, who have sane SAFE lighting and drive within the (proper) limits of those lights. juss' mi' half pennuth!

rickf

I wholy agree..and the Halogens do not blind like LED's do ..ever try to "steer" in the rain on a dark night when those idiotic LED lamps come at you? there are now reports coming out of just such accidents, in blinding effects. Oh yes the people that have them can see? ok.. Trouble is, what about all the rest of the road users?, who have sane SAFE lighting and drive within the (proper) limits of those lights. juss' mi' half pennuth!
AMEN TOO THAT!!!!!!
And those freakin ultraviolet lights too. When they are coming at me I can not see at all, blind!

rickf

By the way, I said I would never make it to 30, did my best not to. Now I am pushing 60 and paying for those years.

Rick

plym49

It's dumb to spend hundreds of dollars for headlights on a $2500 truck.

It's also dumb to stick handfuls of cash down some stripper's thong.

We're guys. That's what we do.

CaberFeidh

Worst part of LED headlights, at least for me, the Chinese made emitters in to overpriced set I put in my locost roadster is that they completely trash 2m FM communications. Good grief, the RF they are blasting all over the place is unholy.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of (used) military LED headlights; no way of knowing hours on them, although wiring looks fresh. I took a chance buying them and ended up with one bad one (low beam will work intermittently, randomly). If any of you have a single LED headlight looking for a new home, I can offer one!

The light output and sharp delineation of the beam is superior to the incandescent standard sealed beam headlights.

zout

I liked the LED headlights so much when I got a free set w/buckets from my Trucklite rep,when they first came out I gave them to PB. I do not know if he put them on anything yet either. Good ole 24v headlights work fine for me. Besides I have the 4 overhead Trucklite led floodlights to brighten things up a bit if need be.

wsucougarx

Well so far to date I have purchased two sets of Brand New military Trucklite LED's. The first set came complete with buckets for $150/pair...then I sold them. The second set I bought came in the original Trucklite box for $200 shipped. I'm holding on the the last set I bought as the incandescent don't work too well on my 923.

Darwin T

I pad $500.00 ea for my first set and $350 for the next pair. Then I thought I was getting a deal and i ended up with a pair of route clearance lights (high beam only) for $200.00.

I spent alot of time adjusting my outside set of lights so that i would not blind every driver coming at me. They shine downward ahead fof my truck. in the second picture you can see the outside lights look dimmer because of the setting. the only time i have ever turned on both sets on high I was the only one on a dark road just to see how they worked and WOW did they work. The only only time i drove with one set on high I was also the only drive driving to my farm and night in a 2" an hour rain and again WOW! That is why iI added the second set. This truck (M109a3) is my hurricane get the heck out of dodge truck so i want to see and be seen. I have also installed a set on my after the hurricane get back into town truck (M35a2), because i am usually driving back in before the rain stops.

Plus I think they look really cool!

Attachments

Darwin T

Thanks. I am still working on the switches inside to turn on either set or both sets. Right now with the route clearance lights i have low beams on the outside and all on (sunshine). :cool:

Blythewoodjoe

If people will steal the fuel out of a tank, I could never put something on my truck that cost a lot and could be taken with a screwdriver while in the rest stop john. I worry too much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks