• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

twlinks

What air presure should be used ????
The Graco is an "airless" sprayer, it uses an electric pump so you're not hooked up to an air compressor. There is an adjustment on it that is essentially the same as adjusting the amount of air from a compressor...if you turn it down too low, you get streaks (not good) and if you turn it up too high, you get a ton of blow back and throw way too much paint out which is almost impossible to control your coverage (also not good). This is why I suggested playing with whatever system you decide to use. Practice on a sheet of cardboard or something until you get the flow and coverage you are looking for. As with any paint spray, less is usually better, meaning several light coats is much better than one heavy coat. A heavy coat may look good as it's going on, but you'll have runs or sags in it if you're painting anything vertical. Even with the pressure right, it's easy to mess up...hose gets hung up on something, you bump into something, etc. That's kind of hard to explain, but you'll find out when you start spraying. ALWAYS start your spray ahead of what you are spraying and release after you make your pass. Keep the gun on the same plane during the entire pass. Most everyone that hasn't sprayed before will swing their arm in an arc, which is very bad, both ends of the arc are lighter in coverage than the middle. It's not too difficult to keep the gun on plane on the side of a house but on a vehicle where you are trying to get into little areas and stuff it is hard. Accept the fact that you are going to have to get into some of those areas with a brush or roller and you'll end up with a better overall paint job. I'm assuming that you aren't taking everything apart, meaning fenders and doors off, etc. That's one of the beauty's of using latex house paint, you can touch it up easily and it's seldom going to show. If you use anything other than flat though, any touch up will show in the right light.

350TacoZilla

I have never personally used this but I know alot of modelers that do, if you use acrylic paint and want to clear it rather cheaply pledge floor finish with future shine is actually clear acrylic and contains no wax so it sprays easy.0004650000182_500X500.jpg

Woodsplinter

Sticky paint question: I had some Olympic exterior latex paint mixed at Lowes (HD could not color match OD semi-gloss!) to paint my deuce.

Two days ago I painted some small parts I had removed from the truck. Although they were inside a warm garage, they are still "sticky".

No paint transfer, but fingers will stick slightly to the painted area. I have never experienced this with any paint before.

Has anybody else experienced this or have any idea why this occurred?

I did not thin with water or add Floetrol. Not painting anything else until this is resolved.

Thanks for any ideas!

SteveKuhn

Dark colors take longer to cure than light colors, varying by mfr. Depending on the tint, I wouldn't be surprised at 2 days, even in AZ. On top of that, I think most are for more porous surfaces like wood where it soaks in vs. metal where it has to air cure.

Check the label. If it's like some others, you might find up to 2 weeks curing time. That was on some Behr porch paint I used a couple of years ago.

I've found tackiness in both acrylic and alkyd to be fairly normal for up to a week around here, depending on weather.

Steve

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sticky paint question: I had some Olympic exterior latex paint mixed at Lowes (HD could not color match OD semi-gloss!) to paint my deuce.

Two days ago I painted some small parts I had removed from the truck. Although they were inside a warm garage, they are still "sticky".

No paint transfer, but fingers will stick slightly to the painted area. I have never experienced this with any paint before.

Has anybody else experienced this or have any idea why this occurred?

I did not thin with water or add Floetrol. Not painting anything else until this is resolved.

Thanks for any ideas!
Dark colors take longer to cure than light colors, varying by mfr. Depending on the tint, I wouldn't be surprised at 2 days, even in AZ. On top of that, I think most are for more porous surfaces like wood where it soaks in vs. metal where it has to air cure.

Check the label. If it's like some others, you might find up to 2 weeks curing time. That was on some Behr porch paint I used a couple of years ago.

I've found tackiness in both acrylic and alkyd to be fairly normal for up to a week around here, depending on weather.

Steve
The above question also was a worry I to had, thanks for the answer

Woodsplinter

Well, it's been almost two weeks and my painted parts are still as tacky as they were when I wrote my last post.

So, I abandoned the latex paint and switched to Gillespie from Rapco. It sprays on great and is dry by the next day.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well, it's been almost two weeks and my painted parts are still as tacky as they were when I wrote my last post..
Woodsplinter that is really strange I have been using the house paints for about 7 years now and never had that problem, but I have never used Olympic. I seems like bad luck you should have been able to get the 24087 without matching, all the stores have the FS#'s in their computers but not all of the knotheads that work the paint section know how to look for them. I just got the Carc desert FS33446 flat and FS24087 semi gloss at wallyword Saturday,Color Place $21 a gallon. I have used the Gillespie on other folks trucks and like it too.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My problem is that behr dried after a while in the house but even after over a week I could still scratch the paint off with my fingernail, it does not seem to want to adhere to the primer ?????, I am tring a edtching primer to see if that helps, I am like WS, waiting before I go any further, The color we are useing is NOT a dark color but WW2 German Dessert Yellow, this is a dark tan, darker then our dessert tan. I have a backup already in place if I can not get Behr to work, I had a qt. of OIL BASE metal paint (real paint) made up, this is a semi gloss but I also have a flat over coat spray also on standby.

Woodsplinter

Woodsplinter that is really strange I have been using the house paints for about 7 years now and never had that problem, but I have never used Olympic. I seems like bad luck you should have been able to get the 24087 without matching, all the stores have the FS#'s in their computers but not all of the knotheads that work the paint section know how to look for them. I just got the Carc desert FS33446 flat and FS24087 semi gloss at wallyword Saturday,Color Place $21 a gallon. I have used the Gillespie on other folks trucks and like it too.
Were you using dark colors like 24087? It seems the lighter colors are not problematic but all the colorant in the dark colors extends the drying time. A few monts ago I painted a boarding ladder with the Behr using a poor match to the 24087 and it stayed tacky for about 2 months.

Woodsplinter

That's weird- dont know what happened here, but since about November we have had numerous UFO sightings.
Go to YouTube and search "UFO Gilbert". ( Gilbert, Az)

twlinks

Yep went through 3 gallons on this all Behr satin/semigloss, cut with bottled water and airless sprayer. I was painting over 383 green Carc.
Did you do anything in the way of prep work or just spray directly over the Carc? I'm not sure that it matters either way, but I am curious.

RAYZER

Nice m146 MW! I painted my m146 with exterior flat behr/primer in one about 3 months ago.I pressure washed, used a roller and brush and went right over carc, I did 2 coats and used about 3 gal.
The paint cured out fast, by the next day it was hard as a rock.
I'm very happy with the results!
uploadfromtaptalk1356572564710.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did you do anything in the way of prep work or just spray directly over the Carc? I'm not sure that it matters either way, but I am curious.
A couple pounds of quarters at the local car wash, it had been blasted and repainted by the military 2 years earlier.

RAYZER I used a roller on the roof and BTW you are the King of the M146's!

Attachments

Last edited:

twlinks

That is about all I did to my trailer before spraying it and it dried out just fine. Of course, I think that was in June though. Do you know what the temperature was the day you painted? You are in Kansas also and we haven't had very many days about 55 for a while. What I'm saying is that virtually all suppliers indicate a minimum temperature for application, typically 55 and it should not be getting to or below freezing for several days after you paint. If it was below 55 when you painted, or since then for that matter, it is going to take a looooong time to cure out. I've been dying to go ahead and paint my '09, but now I'm just going to wait until Spring, mainly because I don't want to have to do it over again just because I was in a hurry. Besides, I'm not driving it anyplace for a while anyway.

Scarecrow1

I have an account with my local Sherwin Williams and going on Beerslayers formula had a gallon mixed up. Even the clerk said you know this is really flat don't you I smiled and said I sure hope so . I did a test spot and have to say it seems to match really well. I tried Rustoleum and Krylon both were not even in the ball park. Even did a color match with a cheap brand but they are off by a mile. So I have to say thanks to Beerslayer for your helpful post . The only thing that surprised me was the $54.00 per gallon price tag . But quality ain't cheap so I will hope this holds up . I will ( if I ever have time) paint the 5ton and post the before and after pics . Thanks Beerslayer I owe you a ....yep a beer

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I picked up a nice shelter for my Duce but the 3 color truck and 1 color desert just did not work for me. At first I was going to go 24087 but decided to go 3 color Nato carc desert. I had printed the out lines from the camo manual, used color pens and didn't like the 686 Tan, 911 black, 383 brown combo the black was just too much and you really never see that in a desert, so used 383 brown for the black sections. Bad deal was the wind picked up in the afternoon and had to stop because of the over spray. So will have to wait for some more warm days to wash the under carriage and finish up. I do think I will use black for the wheels. This time I used color place paint from wally world $21 a gallon and they have the federal standard colors in their paint computer. I still have not made up my mind but may use 30257 earth yellow from the MERC colors to go where the brown should be on the 3 color Nato

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks