• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I do have a business account with Sherwin Williams and do use products from their industrial line, but I'm also liking the benefits the acrylic paint crowd is talking about. I much prefer SW over Behr and since the color formulas on this thread won't work evidently at my Home Depot, I'm gonna give it at shot at Sherwin Williams. I'll check on the Carc availability and cost, and compare that with the acrylic. I'll report back.
Found out why you couldn't get the 383 green.

I was at HD the other day trying to get some made, the first guy said " those letters and #'s mean nothing to me, can't make it" I also remembered a post where another ss member could not get it made either. Anyways I waited till an older paint guy was without customers and he said "new guy, doesn't know anything,I can figure this out", Behr changed the letters for their colorants a couple of weeks ago so now 383 green is pictured below.

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Those of you who did the 24087, please post pics and which brand. I am wanting to paint my M-127 trailer with the racks installed and there is more wood than metal so im not wasting Gillespie.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So is that Beige the CARC TAN equivalent?
The beige I did is not a CARC tan equivalent. I don't care much for that tan and I didn't mix it up for painting a whole vehicle. It is only for a background to paint vehicle numbers on.

I matched it to a very common color used for that on a lot of trucks I have seen. I like it but might experiment more. Probably add a little black to it. I'll post up a picture so you can see it against the green.

SteveKuhn

"... I have the BM paint code from Steve Kuhns trailer. I would like to know how the final look came out..."

There are some photos back a bit but here's one we took last Sunday after building ramps for Art's Mule. The color looks a bit dark on the site. Much more 24087 in person.

It'll be at the MTA w/ the Deuce next month if you're coming down. Check it out then. It's on both.

Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

plym49

I saw a tv commercial that said that ACE hardware stores are giving away a free quart of their house brand paint tomorrow. I am going to check it out in case I can get something that resembles CARC or 24087.

From a press release:

"Called Clark+Kensington, the line combines paint and primer, comes in 120 colors and can be custom-tinted to almost any color. Although Ace Hardware, a retailer-owned cooperative based in Oak Brook, Ill., began selling the new private-label line last September, it is advertising it only now. John Surane, Ace Hardware’s senior vice president of merchandising, marketing, advertising and paint, said the cooperative wanted to reintroduce its paint department and increase awareness and consideration before the spring and summer painting seasons. To that end, the company is running a “Free Paint Saturday” on Saturday, giving customers a free quart of the new paint in a color of their choice."

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

"... I have the BM paint code from Steve Kuhns trailer. I would like to know how the final look came out..."

There are some photos back a bit but here's one we took last Sunday after building ramps for Art's Mule. The color looks a bit dark on the site. Much more 24087 in person.

It'll be at the MTA w/ the Deuce next month if you're coming down. Check it out then. It's on both.

Steve
I am thinking about going down actually instead of the MD show. I am hearing nothing but good things about the NJ show so I may bring a tent and hang with the VN guys if they are setting up again this yr.

plym49

I just got my free quart from Ace. They have many standard colors available in the Clark Kensington line that seem to match several flavors of OD. I was looking for something close to my opinion of what 24087 looks like. I say my opinion, because it is hard to tell from a tiny paint chip. I took them outside and selected their Dinosaur D20-7 color. As I said, they have about a dozen or so that appear good, ranging from a more brownish WWII type to CARC. I would like to hear what you all think of their colors - and it is worth the trip to score a free quart of paint.

ABN173

Dang it, I just searched for a ACE location close to me.......seems there are not any in Afghanistan! Post up some pics when you can PLYM49.

-Dale

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:funny:

Dale, they have ACE in Afghanistan it just stands for Abdul's CARC Emporium instead being named for the Ace fighter pilots of World War I, who were able to overcome all odds.

plym49

You guys are too funny. I will post pix of whatever I use to try this stuff out.

If anyone else is going to try this Ace C-K paint, grab yourself a bunch of the color chip cards. The cards that included the OD shades I was perusing are card numbers D 19 through D 28. I was looking at the bottom tint (there are 7 colors on each card, they get lighter as you move up top) although the second from the bottom might work for some of you all, as well.

Ace also handles B - M consumer paint (not the industrial line) so you could match the B M codes there, too. However, the B M at Ace is a separate set of tints and a different machine, so the C - K codes are not the same. I like B M paint, especially their industrial coatings (Impervo, I believe) but though I would try this no Ace house brand since it is less expensive.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
24087 Got it right after way too many trips back and forth to HD I think I finally got the Behr 24087. The left half was sprayed with Rapco/Gillespie 24087 , Right was rolled on with Behr Ultra exterior semigloss. Now if this Kansas wind ever dies down, I will be able to start painting my M146 trailer back to it's original color.

Attachments

Last edited:

plym49

24087 Got it right after too many trips back and forth to HD I think I finally got the Behr 24087. The left half was sprayed with Rapco/Gillespie 24087 , Right was rolled on with Behr Ultra exterior semigloss.[FONT=arial, helvetica]

[/FONT]
Nice!

twlinks

.[FONT=arial said:
Now if this Kansas wind ever dies down, I will be able to start painting my M146 trailer back to it's original color.[/FONT]
Haha...you got the wind to die down and now all we have is rain for a week. :(

michigan4x4

Bump... How is the Latex paint holding up? Thinking of painting my M101A2 in the next month and will probably be using Sherwin Williams. One of the SW shops is 2 miles down the road. I plan on using a HVLP spray gun and using floetrol. I am looking for a smoother finish than the CARC finish that is on the trailer now.

What about the porch and patio paint that someone mentioned?? Are there any advantages to Porch and Patio paint over regular exterior Latex house paint?

Thanks
Jeff

SteveKuhn

"...What about the porch and patio paint that someone mentioned?? Are there any advantages to Porch and Patio paint over regular exterior Latex house paint?..."

That was me. I rolled my bed floor and sides with it. No hint it wasn't sprayed. Great flow, no Floetrol. This report is since last fall, truck sitting outside, so judge from there.

The difference is that it's epoxy and made to be walked on. It's done very well for general wear. It has rubbed off where objects have been tied and rubbed against it for trips or where freight was dragged. I'd expect that from any paint. It's not Rhino, and my 101 w/ CARC takes the scraping of freight better. Just don't like the sandpaper finish.

P&F has proven far more durable than the Gillespie sprayed on the tailgate. It's satin - not flat or semi. On a fender, I think I'd be real happy except I want semi. This is just a tad short of it.

I'm not ready to say it's more durable than the industrial alkyd I used on the cab steps. They scratched too. The abuse is different, but I think that stuff is just harder. Example: I used the alkyd on my wheels. The right rear tandem was torn down with an impact gun to change a wheel cylinder. I got a few small chipped spots on nuts that you'd miss if you didn't look. It will go throughout the under carriage.

PREP properly!!!! I wanted to be bragging about now about my M105 done with direct to metal industrial acrylic, but I can't. After they blasted it, the shop's painter screwed up and and primed with epoxy primer. Just too smooth and hard for a grip, no paint solvent effect, probably not enough cure time, so spots are peeling.

They're going to blast again to bare metal then use the acrylic direct, sans primer. I expect to be very pleased a year from now because certain areas on the Deuce where I used it and the troop seats look very good.

It's going to the MTA show to transport a mule if you want to see it. My stuff will sport my Blowin'Smoke avatar picture and phone.

It goes back to the shop afterward for the fix.

Steve

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks