• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

XJ01-08

Stupid behr, well I went to get some of the green and brown but forgot they changed the paint. So looking at the green someone already matched up it looks like all they did was add a L to the colorants they use. So I got some samples made up and the brown was close enough to the brown I had made up last year I couldn't really see a difference. I didn't have any black made up so I can't really say if it matches the original code but it looks pretty good yet. I'll get some pics of the Home Depot mix sticker when I go back and get the gallons made up.

Scrounge41

I am a Sherwin Williams guy. There is a Sherwin Williams store just down the road from my house. Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the new "Emerald" exterior paint line. Looking at this stuff over the "Resilience" line.

I too have had great results with the Resilience line. I don't know how the Emerald could get much better. I got reminded the other day why I hate Behr. I had to paint a ceiling that I'd rebuilt to repair some damage. I primed it with white Kilz even though the homeowner already had bought a white Behr product that was "primer and topcoat in one". It still had shadows after the first coat of the Behr and I had to paint it a third time to get a decent finish.

TacticalTruck

Stupid behr, well I went to get some of the green and brown but forgot they changed the paint. So looking at the green someone already matched up it looks like all they did was add a L to the colorants they use. So I got some samples made up and the brown was close enough to the brown I had made up last year I couldn't really see a difference. I didn't have any black made up so I can't really say if it matches the original code but it looks pretty good yet. I'll get some pics of the Home Depot mix sticker when I go back and get the gallons made up.
Home Depot has the Federal Standard paint codes in their computer, perfect match every time. Just bought 33446 tan.

Jeff

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The answer to why water based paint will streak when first getting rained on.

It's pretty common, beautiful Sherwin Williams or Behr house paint job on your deuce and the first time it rains there's these weird streaks on it that eventually all wash off.

Turns out that the universal colorant most paint companies use contains surfactant, and the streaking phenomenon is called Surfactant Leaching or Surfactant Bleeding.

One of the downsides to the surfactant leaching out is that it is directly toxic to animals. Like fish.

The good news is that Sherwin Williams stopped using surfactant in their paint last April. I haven't tried the new formulation yet to see, but there should be no more leaching.

I don't know if Behr has changed their formulation yet. Does anyone know if Behr is still using universal colorant?

twlinks

The answer to why water based paint will streak when first getting rained on.

It's pretty common, beautiful Sherwin Williams or Behr house paint job on your deuce and the first time it rains there's these weird streaks on it that eventually all wash off.

Turns out that the universal colorant most paint companies use contains surfactant, and the streaking phenomenon is called Surfactant Leaching or Surfactant Bleeding.

One of the downsides to the surfactant leaching out is that it is directly toxic to animals. Like fish.

The good news is that Sherwin Williams stopped using surfactant in their paint last April. I haven't tried the new formulation yet to see, but there should be no more leaching.

I don't know if Behr has changed their formulation yet. Does anyone know if Behr is still using universal colorant?
That's all pretty interesting and could very well be true, but can you explain then why you don't get the same streaking on a house paintied with those paints? We are residential/commercial painters and I've never experienced that.

Gunfreak25

Could it be you don't see the streaking on a house wall because a homes exterior surface is usually of the textured type? Whereas a deuce is like a giant flat bill board with no texture at all.

twlinks

Could it be you don't see the streaking on a house wall because a homes exterior surface is usually of the textured type? Whereas a deuce is like a giant flat bill board with no texture at all.
Sure, if we had stucco houses around here, but most of the homes here are wood or hardboard siding which is a pretty smooth surface. Maybe it's just not as noticable on the houses like it is on a vehicle like you said.

SteveKuhn

Also possible that the house surfaces are more porous than the metal and absorb or wick the sufactants. Does the house observation hold true when painting over aluminum siding or perhaps vinyl?

Steve

twlinks

Also possible that the house surfaces are more porous than the metal and absorb or wick the sufactants. Does the house observation hold true when painting over aluminum siding or perhaps vinyl?

Steve
Yes, that could very well be true about the porosity difference. As for the aluminum, we always use a specialty metal paint. Since I've never seen it happen in 30+ yrs of painting, I 'm not gonna worry about that, but I am getting ready to paint my 1009 and have already purchased the Behr paint to do it with. Think I'll go with my gut on that and not be too concerned there either.

Gunfreak25

Yeah it goes away eventually, I stopped worrying about it since it only does it when it's wet which isn't a lot around here with 2" of yearly rain fall IF THAT. :lol: When it's dry the streaks are gone.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's all pretty interesting and could very well be true, but can you explain then why you don't get the same streaking on a house paintied with those paints? We are residential/commercial painters and I've never experienced that.
The Surfactant Bleed does happen on houses, just not as much. I was told this by the manager of a Sherwin Williams store who did say that washing the structure or waiting for the rain to do it takes care of it, which is the same experience as others here have had. A lot depends on temperature and humidity.

I suspect that the porosity of the house exterior has a lot to do with why you haven't seen it.. Remember these paints weren't formulated for steel. That surfactant has nowhere to go. Glycol is one of the surfactant components, it does not just evaporate. I have never seen it on a house but many have.

Try a Google search on "Surfactant Bleed" if you are still skeptical.

twlinks

Sounds a little like UFO's to me...others have seen them but I haven't...lol. Just pullin your chain a little there. I guess my point is, it "may" happen on houses too, but you would think that in 30+ years of painting, that even if I didn't ever see it, one of my observant customers would have and you can bet your booty that they would have been calling me wondering what the **** was going on or more likely, they would jump to the conclusion that we had done a crappy job of painting.

Now, I can say that on the areas I had to Bondo on my '09, I did have streaking after getting caught in a rain storm. I didn't try washing over those spots to see if they went away, but they didn't go away when I went back over them with sandpaper. I'll keep an eye on those areas too.

I'm finally getting my '09 primed and will paint it as soon as I get a nice enough day (temp and humidity wise) to do it. Then I'll watch for the streaking and post back whether it happens or not. Interesting to say the least and always open to learning more.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A few questions on using Behr

1 -- When using a brush (I found that a sponge brush leaves less brush marks) do you thin the paint, if so how much and with what ( I have heard of people using denatured alcohol ???

2 -- When sparying, how much pressure is used and how much do you THIN the paint and with what ?????

Sorry about the spelling, Google Spell Check does not seem to work with the non-upgrade CHANGE

twlinks

A few questions on using Behr

1 -- When using a brush (I found that a sponge brush leaves less brush marks) do you thin the paint, if so how much and with what ( I have heard of people using denatured alcohol ???

2 -- When sparying, how much pressure is used and how much do you THIN the paint and with what ?????

Sorry about the spelling, Google Spell Check does not seem to work with the non-upgrade CHANGE
#1. Well, the biggest reason there are less brush marks is because you're not using a brush, you're using sponge. That said, the product Floetrol is designed to help the paint "level" out as it cures, hence the fewer or less visible the brush marks. The same thing applies to rolling, less roller "dimple". Also, using "quality" brushes and rollers goes a long way toward the finished appearance. Purdy is one of the best brands of brushes/rollers, but you will pay for it.

#2. Thinning depends on a lot of things. The paint you are using, the quipment you are using, the temperature, the humidity and the list goes on. IF you choose to use water, I would never use more than 10% water in a high quality paint (Porter, Sherwin Williams, Behr even). Any more than 10% and you are probably affecting the quality. Cheaper paints are already thinner, but I never use them so that's really a mute point.

I'll be using a Graco sprayer to paint my '09, but it's a $500 piece of equipment. Does that mean it will do a better job? No, but it's what I have so that's what I'm using. Guys in here have used the quart pot sprayers from Home Depot and achieved good enough results for them. Unless you get real sloppy or in a hurry and apply so much at a time that you get runs or sags, it's really kind of hard to screw up. This is flat house paint you're using, it will be dull and dull hides A LOT of imperfections. That's why the guys doing the show car paint jobs get the big bucks. I would suggest that whatever equipment you use, play with the application on something besides your MV till you get the hang of it and the desired result.

2cents

rcb

Good question treeguy !!! That was exactly my question... what primer do you use under the latex ? I usually treat all metal with
penetrol to seal any rust, but I don't think latex will adhere to it. Thoughts ????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks