• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fall 2012 Rausch Creek Sign Up Thread

markus84

I should be coming friday afternoon to sunday in a deuce. Trying to get my buddy with a jeep to come. Not sure yet how many people are coming but should be around 6 or 7 if everything works out.

PaFarmer

Not a lot of action on this thread. I spoke to my Dad The Road, he is planning on bringing his deuce Friday to camp into Sunday, most likely.

This has always been a fun event. The trails change a bit from season to season. Some of the green trails have gotten more difficult due to washouts.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem some find is with the larger vehicles, there are only so many roads to go down there. powerhousedeuce is currently building a rock buggy to take there so he has more places to wheel on than he can with his 5-ton. Some get bored always doing the same trails (I don't, I love any wheeling at all!), so you might find some drivers of deuces and 5-tons kinda iffy about going to RC again when all they can hit are the trails they already have.

This is where the CUCV and jeep drivers have a benefit, as they can get the smaller tighter trails the big boys can't. Love to see what a flat-fender jeep could do there on them...

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I currently have the transfer case out of my deuce. I had a bearing go bad, so I will be pulling that apart tonight. I still need to get my knuckle boots done and heater installed before the rally. Like to have it done soon so I can drive it a bunch to make sure everything is good.

PaFarmer

I run at RC a lot. We have hit most of the trails with deuces. I like running jeeps and my buggy more. There are some tough trails that deuces and stock trucks just can't run.

We have had a lot of guys come up for the rally over the years, I am always a little surprised at how the size of the group has fallen off over the years.

mikey

I will not be able to attend. I'm moving out of state on October 3rd. Between moving my home and business, there is too much going on to take the time off.

Hope you guys have a wonderful time. I'll definitely see you in the spring!

Mikey

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have had a lot of guys come up for the rally over the years, I am always a little surprised at how the size of the group has fallen off over the years.
Two factors here:

The big one is not RC related - I go to lots of shows, car shows, offroad rallies, hamfests, etc. Every single venue is off by a wide margin in recent years. Noone has any spare cash laying around anymore to enjoy their hobbies as much as they used to. Even the big SS rallies like Haspin and GA rally are smaller than a couple years ago, mainly due to high fuel costs and reduced family income. RC at one time had 16 MVs show up. We're now about 8-10 in an average rally.

The other factor is that the original rally organizers, No.2Diesel and his brother, are no longer organizing it, heck they won't even talk to anyone about it anymore even by PMs, not sure why. But they were the glue that held the rally together and when they were involved, it just seemed to be a bigger deal than it is now.

PaFarmer

Mike, I get where you are coming from, the first issue is spot on, some guys in my jeep clubs are more interested in talking about rides, than actually riding. On the second point, we need to give Joe credit. When the brothers disappeared, Joe stepped up and organized the rallys. The story of his ribs the other year should have people flocking to this rally.

We had 20 or more trucks in years past, different guys over the weekend. Maybe after driving around a few days they have seen it all, maybe it is fuel prices. We used to have more guys from near Pittsburgh, NJ, NY. At this point you are likely the long distance winner (albeit in a civy truck).

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear you, PaFarmer - nothing against Joe at all, he's done a great job trying to keep it all together, and it's worked out well.

You're probably right about me being the long distance person, but 3-1/2 hours in a civvy truck ain't bad.

Can't wait for the rally!

PsycoBob

Sissy. 225mi, 4-1/2 hours plus, in a M109. At least my fuel's cheap. :D

Now all I need is enough loot to buy a truck to take on the trails one of these years.... :gimp:

/edit
Knowing my luck, it'll be 6 hours. i81 always has construction. Well, PA construction means 20 miles of single-lane traffic with no workers.

Last edited:

THEROAD

Yea man Joe stepped up and has done a truly great job. Plus those ribs were totally off the hook.
Thanks Joe for all you hard work.

powerhouseduece

I have to agree. I am sad that the brothers have not been able to make it and that Joe stepped up to keep this thing going. I am am selling off my trucks and stuff to buy my first home so I'm going to be out of the loop for a while. I have had a blast at all the rally's I've been to, but for me its time to move on. Hopefully if I ever get my truggy done, Ill still hang with you guys.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to agree. I am sad that the brothers have not been able to make it and that Joe stepped up to keep this thing going. I am am selling off my trucks and stuff to buy my first home so I'm going to be out of the loop for a while. I have had a blast at all the rally's I've been to, but for me its time to move on. Hopefully if I ever get my truggy done, Ill still hang with you guys.
On come on Matt, I just bought a house in August and I’m still going to the rally! I feel your pain with the house though. I just bought new windows for downstairs. I saved for a long time and then *poof* it is gone. Oh well. I need this rally. It’s my vacation. I also need to get my transfer case back together heater in and new knuckle boots installed.

PsycoBob

Heck, even if you just show up to help cook the critter parts & hang out, we'd still have a good time.

As PaFarmer mentioned, the group size has really dropped in just a few years. Fuel prices are still an ouch. I'm not sure what happened to No2 Diesel & his brother, but I'd be thrilled if they ever can make it back.

I know some people have decided they're too much of an old fogey to roll with the crowd at RC. I'd love to bring a truck, but even with a normal cargo truck, I'd still prefer a scenic route, rather than the "Oh, Shoot!" routes we somehow wind up on. 4-6 hours from home, with a broke truck? Not for me, thanks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the rally has grown since the turnout at the beginning:

Fall RC rally 2007 attendees:

No.2Diesel and his brother Rob: M35A2 and M819 wrecker crane (post often, but not at rallies)
FormerNewMVGuy: M35A2 (Scott said he "doesn't want to hang out with anymore f'n kids") :)
MadDawg308: M35A2
Opie: M109A3 (haven't seen him since April 2008, last posts were a couple years ago)
SrJeeper: just riding along (not really an off-roader but was happy to have him show up)

So, I guess I'll be the old fart at the rally - I've been at every RC except one of them. And yes, psycobob, happy to show up just to help cook critter parts and keep a passenger seat warm!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am wondering if anybody has any 9.00x20 tires for sale or a hardtop for a deuce. Let me know what you guys have. I have a cargo cover from an FMTV and an old WWII generator to barter with if somebody has something else they want to get rid of. Let me know! I could use a new cargo cover for my deuce as the mice at a holes in mine last winter.

PsycoBob

I do have several unmounted 900x20's that I'm not likely to use. If you're even slightly interested, I'll toss them in the truck for you to look over. Worst case is I haul them back home.

Like you, I have a pair of ww2 gensets I want to unload, but I'm definitely not bringing either unless someone has cash in hand. Both are 1944, electric start, 12vDC/115vAC 1800rpm onan's. Ones a dinky 150wDC/350wAC air-cooled job, the other's a trailer-mounted 5kw 4-cyl water-cooled beast. Both have enclosures & run.

What kind of genset have you got?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks