• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally bought a MEP-831a

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those RPMs are a good bit higher than spec. Full wide open with zero load should be about 312 hz on the mechanical governor (3750RPM). Full load RPM should be 288 hz (~3500RPM). Someone has been tinkering with your mechanical governor adjustment. Thats why the safety wire is on the bolt.

So.. Lets back up just a little and get your mechanical governor set correctly. With the black knob pushed all the way down and locked into place, and the governor in the pinned position, the bolt with the hole in it should be adjusted to get you to 312 hz.

IF the governor and the engine are running correctly when you apply 100% load (by the amp meter) you should drop down to about 288hz.

Can you set it up that way and see what you get?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. The bolt if I remember correctly sets the "preload" tension on the governor arm. I don't think it limits the travel of the knob. I'm afraid I'm not near one to go look at right now.

BUT.. Either way you need to adjust the bolt to allow for a maximum of 312hz on the mechanical governor.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was issue with mine the mechanical control arm had been bent out of way where stops are no longer in use to maintain the high end RPM. That was what made me think that I needed to work on mechanical governor. If you set it at its proper stops the electronic governor could not control the oscillation of the motors mechanical governor. So I stole electronic governor module and put on another machine and this one fell off my current to do list.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here how the screw affects the thumb screw travel.
https://youtu.be/zb0Tq5dchRU

When I adjusted the screw to allow the thumb screw to go all the way to start. 343.47Hz
After a five adjustments I reached 320Hz, After a few minutes the RPM increase up to 370 +- 20. The spherical nut is raised off of the lever, when in locked position. I'm starting to think that the electronic governor needs to be adjusted to operate at correct RPM.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would unplug electronic governor and set the RPM to proper Hz (under no load) without any other outside influences. Once that is set up you can go to electronic governor setup. It could be plausible that it is over revving motor.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here how the screw affects the thumb screw travel.
https://youtu.be/zb0Tq5dchRU

When I adjusted the screw to allow the thumb screw to go all the way to start. 343.47Hz
After a five adjustments I reached 320Hz, After a few minutes the RPM increase up to 370 +- 20. The spherical nut is raised off of the lever, when in locked position. I'm starting to think that the electronic governor needs to be adjusted to operate at correct RPM.
You are correct that the electronic governor needs to be setup. We need to get the mechanical limits of the governor set first to prevent the electronic governor from being able to push the RPM out of spec and risking damage the engine.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct that the electronic governor needs to be setup. We need to get the mechanical limits of the governor set first to prevent the electronic governor from being able to push the RPM out of spec and risking damage the engine.
When I ran it for the 6 hrs it was running like this, full speed. Think damage may have occurred? Also how do I get an accurate reading off of Hz seems to want to bounce around a bit on reading.
https://youtu.be/2a68wmgjRp8

Thanks

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know how this motor could have held together at 378Hz which would equate to almost 4500rpm. I know your meter is new, but another thing you can do is put on AC voltage 176 VAC (3050 rpm) output is 254 hz which is also no load. 194VAC equates to 3450 rpm or full load setting. I would suspect, but have never tested that full RPM on motor should be around 266hz or 205ish VAC. Sounds like your mechanical governor is out of range and you electronic governor is taking you over top. Be aware that some of us on here have had repeated failures with the electronic governors.

Edit. I just watched your video with sound turned up, yes you are turning 4000+ rpm. I have never heard one turn so fast.

Last edited:

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's my older meter, it doesn't have amp clamp on it was cheaper to buy another meter than the attachment for reading amps. I bought that meter in 2010. I have a hard time believing it was spinning a 4500 RPM, that thing would of went flying into pieces. Maybe something is off, meter probably.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try reading in VAC and see what numbers are in case HZ on meter is reading incorrectly. However, that little yanmar is turning some rpm's, it could be spinning 4000 the way it sounds.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plug your meter into an outlet in the house and get 60hz its not likely its off by too much at 350hz. My flukes are very accurate across the scale.

Why that engine didn't blow-the-heck-up I don't know. It goes to show the durability of those things.

Get the mechanical governor tweaked in and lets start over.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my meter in DC mode when I took Hz reading may of been off. I test on outlet 60 Hz, so don't think the meter is an issue. Ive looked threw the TM it make no mention on how to adjust the mechanical governor, there is a factory preset one that it says not to touch.
Governor.jpg

Tomorrow ill check witch VAC, and try to set it to max RPM of 3750RPM - 312Hz - 219 VAC

Last edited:

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I set it up to run at 312Hz no load fully open throttle, when load is applied 297Hz is obtained. The screw has a direct affect where the knob can be place.
This is what it's at now after adjustment.
20170708_145325.jpg

Thanks

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. Did it run any better? Any less smoke?

Once you you know it's running well on the mechanical governor we can dive into the electronic one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks