• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got me a deuce!

Balalala

If those windshield panels are what I think they are, they may require some cutting around the gasket and maybe some redrilling of hardware holes in the frame. My dad went that route with his M37, which I believe uses the same windshield panels.

I'd consider getting them professionally fixed. I'm pretty sure @gringeltaube posted here somewhere what kind of channels are used on the windshield glass frames.

Regarding temperature, my A3 usually reads around 180 degrees when driving around. It'll get up to 200 or so on a hot day while idling or high-idling, at which point the cooling fan engages.
Here is a link to the windshields. https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/2673/COM-3046-M35-M54-M809-Windshield-Assembly

Looks like they have pre drilled holes.Screenshot_20230602_081705_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: HDN

Balalala

20230604_182717.jpg

Should that wheel weight be removed, with the guard removed? Truck does have a bit of a bounce when driving it. I do still have the guards, I'm thinking they could be modified and put back on with the lockout hubs.

Last edited:

HDN

View attachment 898891

Should that wheel weight be removed, with the guard removed? Truck does have a bit of a bounce when driving it. I do still have the guards, I'm thinking they could be modified and put back on with the lockout hubs.
If you're going to keep the CTIS valve, I'd keep the wheel weight. However, I think the weight needs to be moved a stud CCW - it doesn't look balanced. I think the TM section for tire maintenance shows it that way too. On my truck each of the weights were installed in a different position, so the factory QA/QC definitely wasn't top notch.

Balalala

If you're going to keep the CTIS valve, I'd keep the wheel weight. However, I think the weight needs to be moved a stud CCW - it doesn't look balanced. I think the TM section for tire maintenance shows it that way too. On my truck each of the weights were installed in a different position, so the factory QA/QC definitely wasn't top notch.
Good eye! You are 100% correct, that weight is off a lug.

So the cover doesn't matter, it's the ctis system that the counterweight is compensating for.

I see now that I am also missing a weight off one of the rear tires.

HDN

Good eye! You are 100% correct, that weight is off a lug.

So the cover doesn't matter, it's the ctis system that the counterweight is compensating for.

I see now that I am also missing a weight off one of the rear tires.
Yikes - that's crazy! I believe you should be able to install a wheel weight without having to undo a clamp ring nut - just fasten with another lock nut on top of it and torque to spec... For which it actually doesn't have a spec :unsure: I've considered this in the past and think that the same torque spec for the wheel valve covers should be okay for fastening the wheel weight on top of an existing clamp ring nut. After all, 90 ft-lbs is holding the wheels on my Chrysler 200 :p

Balalala

So here is a list I have compiled of things to do.

Install new temp gage when it shows up.

Counter weights. Need to move one, and add one. Coming in the mail.

Front axle boots are torn and need replaced. Already purchased.

Install muffler and remove about 3ft of straight pipe. I have the muffler and clamp. Hoping this will eliminate the need for hearing protection on longer trips.

Inspect and repair cold start. Worked last winter but didn't this spring. The bottle of ether is new.

Replace air drier filter. Have this too just need to do it.

Fix the rust spots that are here there and everywhere. Wish I could find rustoleum paint in the proper color!

Fix the passenger door handle, the spring seems disconnected. The door must be closed from the inside, with the handle down in the locked position, and even then it sometimes swings open. There is no way my arm is going to fit up inside the access panel. Not sure how to go about that.

There is a good inch gap on the back side of the windows. Missing some weather stripping.

The bows that I have are not in good shape, and I am missing a few. Getting things up here in Canada, the shipping price is killing me. I think I will attempt to fabricate my own bow set, I do have a pipe bender. The canvas appears to be in good shape.

ToddJK

So here is a list I have compiled of things to do.

Install new temp gage when it shows up.

Counter weights. Need to move one, and add one. Coming in the mail.

Front axle boots are torn and need replaced. Already purchased.

Install muffler and remove about 3ft of straight pipe. I have the muffler and clamp. Hoping this will eliminate the need for hearing protection on longer trips.

Inspect and repair cold start. Worked last winter but didn't this spring. The bottle of ether is new.

Replace air drier filter. Have this too just need to do it.

Fix the rust spots that are here there and everywhere. Wish I could find rustoleum paint in the proper color!

Fix the passenger door handle, the spring seems disconnected. The door must be closed from the inside, with the handle down in the locked position, and even then it sometimes swings open. There is no way my arm is going to fit up inside the access panel. Not sure how to go about that.

There is a good inch gap on the back side of the windows. Missing some weather stripping.

The bows that I have are not in good shape, and I am missing a few. Getting things up here in Canada, the shipping price is killing me. I think I will attempt to fabricate my own bow set, I do have a pipe bender. The canvas appears to be in good shape.
The shipping on many items for these trucks because everything is usually big and/or heavy is the usual killer on the wallet. The doors are never any fun, like you said, not a lot of room to get your hands up in there but if you have any young kids or teenagers who'd like to earn a buck, sometimes they can be really helpful with their smaller hands and arms.

Balalala

The shipping on many items for these trucks because everything is usually big and/or heavy is the usual killer on the wallet. The doors are never any fun, like you said, not a lot of room to get your hands up in there but if you have any young kids or teenagers who'd like to earn a buck, sometimes they can be really helpful with their smaller hands and arms.
Yes I have a few young boys, I'm just nervous about the whole thing. Removing it is one thing, getting it back in is what I'm worried about

ToddJK

Yes I have a few young boys, I'm just nervous about the whole thing. Removing it is one thing, getting it back in is what I'm worried about
I hear ya there. The window assembly has some clips that hold the window to the window regulator and when mine fell off, it was a nightmare getting it back on and together properly. My neighbors definitely heard me that day, that's for sure, probably every curse word in the book, 😆

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I hear ya there. The window assembly has some clips that hold the window to the window regulator and when mine fell off, it was a nightmare getting it back on and together properly. My neighbors definitely heard me that day, that's for sure, probably every curse word in the book, 😆
Best part is that those two little clips that "ride the slot" in the window is something that even an old "ham-fisted" guy can remove or put back. That way the younger folks won't lose those clips...

HDN

Once you get the exhaust system squared away you should be able to ride comfortably without hearing protection. It's my understanding that the A3 trucks are a bit quieter than the A2 trucks. My wife and I can have a conversation during a drive, though we still have to speak up - it's not a sedan that's for sure :p

Does your truck still have the rubber floor mats installed? Those tend to retain moisture and can rust the floors underneath. I removed mine but saved them in case I wanted to install them for a car show.

Balalala

Once you get the exhaust system squared away you should be able to ride comfortably without hearing protection. It's my understanding that the A3 trucks are a bit quieter than the A2 trucks. My wife and I can have a conversation during a drive, though we still have to speak up - it's not a sedan that's for sure :p

Does your truck still have the rubber floor mats installed? Those tend to retain moisture and can rust the floors underneath. I removed mine but saved them in case I wanted to install them for a car show.
Muffler sure did quiet it down!! I just need to find a hose to connect the muffler to the air filter now. I need to remove about 3ft of straight pipe, but she sure is quiet.

Good tip for removing the river floor mat, yes mine are still installed. And when it rains or snows, it does get a bit wet. I may have to do the same.20230606_174537.jpg

Balalala

Do you guys know if they make an arctic grill for the A3?

The ones for the A2 have the headlights inside the front grill.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cannot say I have ever seen a set for the M35A3. The cut would have to be different compared to the A2 as well. They fitted the arctic heaters in the M35A3 as well ( the ones that roast you even with the windows open).
A competent upholsterer or commercial tarp guy could be able to measure and make you a set or adapt the A2 set to fit.

HDN

Do you guys know if they make an arctic grill for the A3?

The ones for the A2 have the headlights inside the front grill.
They supposedly existed according to the parts TM. I attached 10 pages of the parts TM PDF including all parts of the winterization kits. I have no idea how easy-to-find these kits are considering not many A3s were built compared to the rest of the series. I've been lead to believe it's hard to find these kits even for the A2 trucks and older.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks