• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally restoring the M37

zout

Did I mention you totally suck being able to get your hands on that pristine Norton. I remember running against them with my 69 XLCH yes ago...fast fast bike.

Back to the 37...absolutely outstanding workmanship Jim. We call that kind of work TRAILER QUEENS under a tarp in transport and roped off when showing so nobody can come within 50 ft of it. Just stare and drool.
SALUTE SIR.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hood, hard top, tailgate and two tables of parts painted and drying. Monday will see a lot of parts being bolted on. The Norton tank/panels will be done hopefully by Tuesday. Not doing decals either letters will be gold paint (hopefully).

NAM VET

When I was in Germany, '69-70, the Norton bikes where top dog, not just because of their performance, but also because of their revolutionary anti-vibration engine mounts. Quite a few other young officers had Nortons, and the prior Atlas bikes, and then the Commando's. I road one once, just before I was posted from Germany to Vietnam, and told my self "when I get back in a year, I am going to get one of these." But in the intervening year, my life goals changed, and I firmed up other professional plans, and never did get a Norton nor any other bike. When I occasionally see one now, I just marvel at how small they really are. Back in '65, when I was new to the University of Nebraska, I was going to buy a Honda 305 Scrambler, the really hot looking bike, and when I told my dad, He said he would pay half the cost of a car it I did not buy a bike. He hated them. So I used my saved up lawnmowing money and with his additional $750, bought my first car, a '63 TR4, which started me on a life-long path of sports cars, thru the other British sports cars, eventually, to a 427 Cobra, several Porsches, and up to a year ago, a Porsche GT3. But sold that, and now working on getting my M37 on the road. Off to see the machine shop in a few minutes.

all the best....

Another Ahab

No doubt about it, the Norton was a good looking solid machine.

AND they were hard working. My cousin had one up in the hills of Albemarle County in VA and ran it as his dirt bike (!). He ran the thing ragged, but it never stopped running.

Nice progression in your motoring history. The M37 sounds like a good way to top it off. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim do you know that Molly's husband Jeff is a professional air brush/sign painter? I have seen his stuff and it is very well done.

This is the Norton I remember.
We will see how the Norton turns out. Could not find the gold paint code (they were all decals), so I went with 1979 Trans am gold.

Here's some of the painted parts pulled out of the booth this morning.

Attachments

zout

BUDDY of mine that owns EV ENGINEERING in Howard City Mich could have gotten you the paint codes...but the color you chose is an awesome color as well Jim....you lucky SOB........LOL

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We will see how the Norton turns out. Could not find the gold paint code (they were all decals), so I went with 1979 Trans am gold.

Here's some of the painted parts pulled out of the booth this morning.
I've only seen one other restoration project go that far into detail and that was Tinwoodsman's MB.:beer:

Youse guyz sure know how to take professionalism and attention to detail to the next higher level.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Norton tank painted. I picked the best M37 parts from several trucks so what's going together was not necessarily together before, and everything seems to be fighting me (it took 3 people just to install the dang window). It's slowly coming together.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks