• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Truck

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

While you may not have liked some of the things said, they are IMPORTANT. You said you're only doing what you are told, but could you live with yourself if someone got killed in a tanker you built because it was overloaded? 1200 gallons in a deuce WILL make it overloaded, you only have 400 pounds left for the tank before you are at your limit. I understand fully about not having money for a fire dept. and in the words of Col. Sink "It's a cryin' ass shame". YOU must impress on the end uses how dangerous those trucks are, and that they need to take steps to provide training and SOP's to provide safe operation. And you should also insist that the administration look into grants and funding for the future to improve the equipment.
I'm on both a large metropolitan dept and a rural volunteer dept. On the vol. dept., we require 6 hrs of driving and operations for every type of truck before a firefighter can drive it on an emergency run. Review NIOSH Line of duty death reports to learn what you can about home brew tankers. We had a surplus Humvee with a home built pressure tank for grassfires. We turned it back in when we bought a new (compliant) grass truck. Last year a firefighter was killed when something on the tank failed. They had sent it back out without any inspection or certification. I would also be concerned for your liability as the "manufacturer". If an accident were to occur, are you protected from liability? I say these things not to attack you or your work, but to help you be better informed. I think you should maybe see about some kind of liability release.
I wish you luck, and enjoy learning about MV's here. Feel free to ask questions from the guys here, most of them have a lot more knowledge about the truck than myself, and are always willing to lend a hand or an ear.

VFF19

Nice truck

You are using a low profile tank that will keep the CG low and reduce the chance of rollover.

Your department appear to have a driver training requirement in place which is good.

You should be appauded for helping your community
Well thank you, its the best for of community service I can think of lol

VFF19

Welcome to the site.

While you may not have liked some of the things said, they are IMPORTANT. You said you're only doing what you are told, but could you live with yourself if someone got killed in a tanker you built because it was overloaded? 1200 gallons in a deuce WILL make it overloaded, you only have 400 pounds left for the tank before you are at your limit. I understand fully about not having money for a fire dept. and in the words of Col. Sink "It's a cryin' ass shame". YOU must impress on the end uses how dangerous those trucks are, and that they need to take steps to provide training and SOP's to provide safe operation. And you should also insist that the administration look into grants and funding for the future to improve the equipment.
I'm on both a large metropolitan dept and a rural volunteer dept. On the vol. dept., we require 6 hrs of driving and operations for every type of truck before a firefighter can drive it on an emergency run. Review NIOSH Line of duty death reports to learn what you can about home brew tankers. We had a surplus Humvee with a home built pressure tank for grassfires. We turned it back in when we bought a new (compliant) grass truck. Last year a firefighter was killed when something on the tank failed. They had sent it back out without any inspection or certification. I would also be concerned for your liability as the "manufacturer". If an accident were to occur, are you protected from liability? I say these things not to attack you or your work, but to help you be better informed. I think you should maybe see about some kind of liability release.
I wish you luck, and enjoy learning about MV's here. Feel free to ask questions from the guys here, most of them have a lot more knowledge about the truck than myself, and are always willing to lend a hand or an ear.
Once again, With all due respect, I am not responsible for a roll over. If the truck is solid and the tank isnt going to fall off then its not in my hands. Forestry would. They are handing out the setups. I have built our newest Brush truck, added new skid unit, Lights, radio etc, am I going to be liable if it blows up? no. Im not getting paid, Im not doing anything Im not supposed to. Would I feel bad if a ff got hurt in my tanker? Yes, would anyone in the county even think to blame me? **** no. Ive been to alot of different depts, and I have seen the way they work. I know you may not see it, But a dept in California, new york, ohio, etc, are so much different than Oklahoma, we are still behind a few years. We cant be as good as everyone else. And this is the only bad thing about this service, is the **** politics. Theres to many chiefs and not enough FF. Im not bashing anyone. I wish all of our depts were up to the best of standards, all NFPA trucks, all 100% approved. But its not to that point yet. Im not going to quit doing what I do because its not "safe" this job isn't "safe". Nothing about running into a burning building will ever be safe. But thats the risks we take. No one forced us. We were told before we joined the dangers we will face.

2cents

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VFF, my response had nothing to do with you fire fighting, keep that up by all means. It's hard to get good firefighters. But just as you wear turnouts and SCBA to protect you in a fire, protect yourself from liability as well. I ASSURE YOU, IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT, LAWYERS WILL FIND SOMEONE WITH A LUST FOR MONEY TO SUE YOU. You may not end up with a judgement against you, but lawyer fees alone can break you financially. This is a chance for you to lead your dept. and advance them. You can use that equipment, it will just take extra effort and training to be safe.

VFF19

I hear what your saying. And come monday(meeting night) I will bring it up and see if this truck is up to standards. If not there's not much I can do. I will leave it up to the board and if they want to release the truck then it will be their responcibilty knowing the consequences. I did this to help out. I didn't have to do it. I appreciate the comments they will be taking into consideration. I will look into it. I can't keep everyone from dying only God can. But yes safety is number 1. Always

fasttruck

Your deuce and 5ton are overloaded if you fill them to the capacities of 1200 and 3500 gallons respectfiully. And that is improved road weights not unimproved or no road weights. You say don't kill the messenger we only do what forestry tells us: i say don't kill the operators with false economies. Gravety is instantaneous and irrevocable: when the inevitable problem occurs you will be alone in an unfriendly environment.just because you paid to get in does not mean you have paid to get out. NFPA and most other fire code reqjuirements spring from some previous tragedy where the price was paid. It is sad to repeat old problems and pay again like Coconut Grove and Warwick RI for instance.

M715VFD405

Amen to that VFF19 safety first we got it. You've done a great job on the truck and I know most depts in my old area would love to have it. In answer to your question on Tinker they go through Gov. Liq. like everyone else so check that site often or get a hold of Warthog or one of the other Oklahoma SS people they should be able to help more then me. But personally i like what you have done and hope that you will do more in the future for the people around you. Thank you for being there for your fellow man.....

Big Z

Our tanker is an old milk truck. My deuce fire truck has a homebrew tank made by the members of the VFD that I would take over any other deuce setup out there. "Homemade" trucks can be a good thing. Just because not everyone knows how to drive doesn't make it a bad, unsafe rig. I honestly blame drivers more than vehicles for problems. Is that weird? :roll:

VFF19

Amen to that VFF19 safety first we got it. You've done a great job on the truck and I know most depts in my old area would love to have it. In answer to your question on Tinker they go through Gov. Liq. like everyone else so check that site often or get a hold of Warthog or one of the other Oklahoma SS people they should be able to help more then me. But personally i like what you have done and hope that you will do more in the future for the people around you. Thank you for being there for your fellow man.....
Thank you sir. I will look into it. We are replacing either our 5 ton tanker or our deuce with this new one. Im going to try and see if I can buy the deuce off my dep't lol. Our 5 ton is so freaking slow. No turbo, but has assisted steering. I wouldn't want it though

VFF19

Our tanker is an old milk truck. My deuce fire truck has a homebrew tank made by the members of the VFD that I would take over any other deuce setup out there. "Homemade" trucks can be a good thing. Just because not everyone knows how to drive doesn't make it a bad, unsafe rig. I honestly blame drivers more than vehicles for problems. Is that weird? :roll:
Milk truck, interesting. :) 3 out of our 4 skid units for our brush rigs have been built and plumbed by us and they work flawless. You can save alot of money that way. Were all just a bunch of good ol southern boys, if its broke we fix it, if something needs done we do it. We have a vast majority of skill sets in our dept which helps alot.
So yea sometimes homebrew is just as good if not better.

VFF19

Those look great. We have a lot of dept in our county that use the deuce as a brush truck. They work great for mowing down trees. When the fire reaches the woods, we call for the deuces. The dept just to the north of us also has a gamma goat. Not sure how much water it has, but the thing is just awesome to watch. Our deuce (1200gal) could be used to fight wildland, but we rather use our 4 brush rigs. But the deuce goes anywhere and is great for putting out brushpiles. We have it set up with a diesel pump on the back and an electric pump both with whiplines. Also has the winch just in case someone gets stuck. Our 5 ton isn't much of a grass rig seeing that its carrying 3500gal(largest tanker/tender in our county) although it doesn't fight grass fires, it does have a big enough pump to use and an Engine(sadly enough we had to use it as one last year when our engine broke down in route, but we saved the hay barn) both have winches. 5ton is slower than crap. Doesn't like to go into high gear, and if it gets there it sure as heck doesn't like to go back. No turbo but has power steering. The deuce on the other hand is a powerful sob, just not power steering which is no fun at times. I really enjoy having these historic trucks around the dept, they definatly get the job done...if you have a few extra min to wait!

Stan Leschert

Looks good. Just like in the Military, sometimes you have to use what you've got... or can get. don't worry about the nit-nat, get the job done! Keep your firefighters safe, and try to keep saving more than the foundations of ex-houses!

Carry on!

VFF19

Thank you sir. Have to make due with what you have sometimes, amen. Oddly enough most of our structure fires are from 2-4 am. So they don't even get called in till its almost to the ground. We have been fortunate with minor casualties. Our main thing at the moment is grass fires. Its been 106 in ok almost everyday this summer, we save alot of houses that way.

Happyland1410

Welcome to Steel Soldiers! Glad to see another local FF here. Nice looking truck. I don't think many people would believe how little money we get to try to run these volunteer departments in Oklahoma. Our department even missed out on the new brush trucks a couple of years ago so we are really struggling for equipment. I spent all weekend working on our A3 deuce. We finally got the tires fixed and now our pump went out. I am a huge proponent of safety and try to keep that in mind with everything I do but if we insisted on only using NFPA approved equipment we would have to just stay home and let our residents try to put out their own fires. We will keep working on grants and fund raising to modernize our equipment but we will also do our best in the interim to help protect our communities since there is no one else who is going to do it for us.

Warning: now that you are here on SS there is no turning back. The green disease is highly contagious and there is no known cure. Soon you will have your own MV (or two). :mrgreen: There is a great bunch of SS members here in Oklahoma. PM Warthog and he will put you on the list to notify you of events around here.

VFF19

Welcome to Steel Soldiers! Glad to see another local FF here. Nice looking truck. I don't think many people would believe how little money we get to try to run these volunteer departments in Oklahoma. Our department even missed out on the new brush trucks a couple of years ago so we are really struggling for equipment. I spent all weekend working on our A3 deuce. We finally got the tires fixed and now our pump went out. I am a huge proponent of safety and try to keep that in mind with everything I do but if we insisted on only using NFPA approved equipment we would have to just stay home and let our residents try to put out their own fires. We will keep working on grants and fund raising to modernize our equipment but we will also do our best in the interim to help protect our communities since there is no one else who is going to do it for us.

Warning: now that you are here on SS there is no turning back. The green disease is highly contagious and there is no known cure. Soon you will have your own MV (or two). :mrgreen: There is a great bunch of SS members here in Oklahoma. PM Warthog and he will put you on the list to notify you of events around here.
Thank you very much, and you are correct. Happyland? Are you from pontotoc?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks