• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First M35A2C New-to-me

Scarecrow1

I like you have a 5ton but I always had my sights set on a M35a2 also good luck on solving the problems . To tell you the truth the main reason I went with the 5 ton was because of it's reliability .The Deuce's seemed to always have issues . Good luck and keep on taking pictures and letting us follow your build......

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So with some very capable coaching (Thanks Gimp!) and my older son's help, we got it apart last night. Looks like the whole pump is old, and original. With all of the possible leak points in these, I decided to just spring for a new one. Found a nice depot rebuild in so I popped for it. Get rid of all my problems at once. The new injector line I needed after a catastrophic rust failure arrived today. Gaskets for the front gear cover are on their way. Only thing I haven't found yet is the "O" ring for between the pump and the adapter. Anyone have the dimensions or a source???? I googled the NSN and found a whole bunch of nothing.......

IMG_0690[1].jpgIMG_0696[1].jpgIMG_0697[1].jpg

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the new pump arrived today. Hopefully everything will start going in tomorrow. Today is my anniversery so it has to wait a day.

Comes already set with the FDC bypassed and a new O ring. Wish me luck!
IMG_0703[1].jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for spending your anniversary with me today. The chicken dinner was great.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, now that I made it back from the Georgia rally and was re-energized to get to work, I got everything all buttoned up, and NOTHING.......In tank pump is not working. Making noise, but no action. Picked up a 24V pump from NAPA, I'll try it out tomorrow. Also appears I may have to drop and desludge the tank, change the filters etc......

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, to solve the "cam over" effect found in the IP when timing it to the engine, I came up with this little set-up. I slid the gear and spacer around the socket, lined up the timing marks and then just set the gear in and the spacer and tightened it up. Worked great!

IMG_0798[1].jpg

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well now that its running (YAY!) off of a outside fuel source I still have to pull the fuel tank (its got over an inch of what I can only describe as road tar mixed with super glue), go through the brakes, adjust the idle figure out the low air pressure, fix a leak in the heater core, etc etc.....but at least I know it runs.

gem1410

Sounds great Pat--glad you found all the ip pins--they beat me up for months--Gimpy Rob also helped me out--He is the guy that told me my ip pump was 180 deg out on another truck and was correct----That truck only took 2.5 years to get going-------Good job

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks George, yes without Gimp's advice allowing me some confidence to tear in, well not sure if I would have gotten anywhere near done. Def gotta get the fuel tank boiled out so I can get away from the can under the truck :)

gem1410

Hi Pat--Anything new with M35A2C--has it been behaving-- The cold weather is great for a ride --The engine likes the cold air--more oxygen--Did you get the tank cleaned out?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well got the tank cleaned out best I could and reinstalled it. Got everything hooked up and primed and fired it up. Ran great. Took a little spin around the yard and the hydraulic head is leaking at almost every fuel line. Ugh. Got to figure out what I did wrong.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We found the problem. Using a brand new injector line on #5 and the ferrule must have slid off during install. Because it was not preset like a used line would be it was impossible to tell.

It it is vitally important to maintain constant down pressure during the initial tightening. Very frustrating. Good news/bad news. I know what happened. I don't have the parts here to fix it.

I did discuss this with DH and it sounded like a good piece of info to post up.

Attachments

skinnyR1

Injector lines are reusable and repairable. There is a specific ferrule to use, and you simply trim the injector line down about a 1/4 inch and cut the old ferrule off. Deburr, slide on the new ferrule, and you are good to go.
New injector lines are expensive. Ferrules are cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks