• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flipping the center-sections in riveted wheels

jesusgatos

Loaded them all back up and was so excited that I installed them all that night. Well, all except for one of them. Stripped a stud, and had to go buy a new one the next morning. I don't have many good pictures of the whole truck because it's parked in kind of a tight spot right now. I'll post more as soon as I move it.

jesusgatos

Thanks for all the help with this project guys. I'm really happy with how my wheels turned out. I need a total of nine wheels/tires so I'll have matching wheels for my trailer, plus a spare, and I only have eight right now. But I'm not in any hurry. I'll just pick up another riveted wheel whenever I come across one.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sweet! SO did your skin crawl when they mashed the lock rings down? Did any of the powder coat scratch off? Truck looks GREAT with the new rims and tires.

jesusgatos

WOW, they look great! I am considering doing that myself.

Thanks for the write up.
Dirt
Thanks. If I was going to do it over again, I'd think twice about grinding out the welds. It was a LOT (a lot a lot a lot) of work. Would probably just try to lay down a nice looking bead and call 'em done. These look pretty sweet now that they're all done, but I hate grinding.

Sweet! SO did your skin crawl when they mashed the lock rings down? Did any of the powder coat scratch off? Truck looks GREAT with the new rims and tires.
No way man. Hardly scratched them. He just stomped the rings on by jumping on them. I like to build nice ****, but I'm not too worried about keeping anything looking pristine. I'm going to hammer on this truck as soon as it's finished anyway.

that looks so nice!!! i'll take the ndts :) hahah
Thanks, and those tires are already listed for sale Scott. Let me know if you really want them.

Looks great Jesse, job well done!
Thanks. Wouldn't have been able to build them if you hadn't hooked me up with Brad.

number9

Looks GREAT !!!!!!

I know that was a L.O.T. of work........ and it's paid off well for you. I REALLY like the looks of those tires.

Kohburn

looks good man, to the untrained eye the wheels look stock.

In the process of getting my tires I ended up with 10 5ton wheels. Your project is making me think about removing the rivited center and welding in a flat center with the 6bolt pattern. Wouldn't look as stock but would get it done.

RANDYDIRT

So Jes, how did the driveability of the flipped wheels do? Mine are still in progress and I would like to know if they affect the steering etc...

Dirt

jesusgatos

Wish I could tell you, but I've driven the truck less than 20 miles since I mounted the new wheels & tires. In the middle of replacing the cab and an engine-swap right now. From one project to the next...

jesusgatos

Oh and after the engine-swap I'll have a power-steering pump, and I'm planning on replacing the stock steering linkage with a full-hydro setup - so I don't think I'll ever have a chance to do a fair back-to-back comparison. But I guess all that really matters is how the tires wear, and how the vehicle handles and tracks.

Seth_O

JG: can you report out now with some miles on the flipped centers how you like them and how they have performed? New wheels are on my to-do list, and I am trying to decide between flipped centers and recentered HEMTT's (but those suckers are spendy!)

Jakob

The only question I have is...
If you had to do it again, would you:
1) Buy already re-centered HEMTT wheels.
2) Buy HEMTT wheels, the plates and modify them yourself.
3) Do your modifications over again?

jesusgatos

That's what I was trying to say. I wanted to run 11.00 tires, and they're too narrow to mount on modified HEMTT wheels. I think ideally, I'd like to convert to a more common 10-lug pattern and just get some Alcoas, but am pretty happy with how these turned out. Was just a lot of work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks