• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flipping the center-sections in riveted wheels

jesusgatos

I was curious about the final relative position, front wheels to fenders and rears to bed...
after welding the center to the outer edge of the rim, backspace would be reduced from original 10.5" down to 6". Not that bad...

G.
9.6" and 8º, respectively.
Scrub radius in your case should be around 2 3/4"

G.
Hey G, wanna talk numbers?

I'm working on the steering now and was just looking at the scrub radius and ackermann, etc. Using your numbers (9.6" & 8-degrees), with a 43" tall tire and 1.25" offset, I'm coming up with a scrub radius right around 5.3"?

Subtracted 19.2" (9.6" x 2) from 79.5 (the width of the front axle), to get 60.3" between the u-joints. That sound about right?

Effective length of the steering arms on the knuckles looks to be right around 10" and the distance between the tie-rod ends is somewhere around 55.125" (1/4" toe-in). Using these numbers is looked like the ackermann was set-up for a vehicle with a lot shorter wheelbase. Somewhere around 112.5" at first glance (where the lines intersect). But then I started fooling around with the steering angles and the ackermann changes with the angles, but at 35-degrees (inside wheel/tire) it's less than 1/2" off from the centerline of the rear bogey, which seems like it's about 154-ish" behind the front axle? Not bad. By the way, do you have any info on the maximum steering angles the knuckles and axleshafts can take? Have u-joint shafts in my truck, and from what I understand the knuckles bind first. But the info I've found on pirate is inconsistent. My truck steers to 28-degrees right now, and the 9" steering cylinder I got from PSC is capable of pushing right around 35-degrees, which seems to be close to where most people say things start binding.

Look good, drive like crap.

Dirt
Sorry to hear you're not happy with how the truck handles with those wheels. Going to be pretty upset if I wasted all that time building these. Think the hydro-steering will probably mask any underlying issues on my truck, but ****. Mind telling us a bit more about exactly how it behaves that leaves you unhappy with how it drives/handles?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks