• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flood recovery

sweetk30

Or you could make reusable gaskets with the appropriate silicone.
I have a factory spicer dana 60 gasket installed on a 100% clean / dry / no oil yet axle . thick factory cover and flat checked .

the gasket leaks 80-90 oil out it and the axle has never been put in service .

just go get a tube of permatex rightstuff in the cheese wis can and never look back .

rustystud

OK you must change out the transmission fluid and filter. I know a lot of people think there is no harm if a little water gets into the transmission but they are wrong. In a few years from now you can be driving along when suddenly your transmission takes a total dump on you ! You ask yourself "what did I do to cause this ? " . You totally forgot the time you "submarined" your truck in the flood. Read this article from "Raybestos" the leader in transmission clutch plate manufacture.

View attachment Scan0219.pdfView attachment Scan0220.pdfView attachment Scan0221.pdfView attachment Scan0222.pdf

I've seen this happen so many times, especially here in the Pacific Northwest. Guys take their "rig" out for a little fun and then later the transmission goes out for no reason at all ! I ask did you ever take it out in the river or mudholes ? They always answer "of course but there was no water in the transmission when they checked" .

Last edited by a moderator:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll stick with gaskets. I hate cleaning RTV off surfaces.
So do I, which is why I suggested making a reusable gasket from RTV.
Yes, I have to clean some off of my finger after spreading the RTV onto the cover, and also wipe the oil that keeps the RTV from sticking to the axle housing off a finger, but considering that it's pretty much a one time job, I think it's worth it.
Besides, one thing I hate is cleaning old gasket material off of the housing, especially since it likes to fall onto the diff and gears where I really don't want any debris.

glaser06

OK you must change out the transmission fluid and filter. I know a lot of people think there is no harm if a little water gets into the transmission but they are wrong. In a few years from now you can be driving along when suddenly your transmission takes a total dump on you ! You ask yourself "what did I do to cause this ? " . You totally forgot the time you "submarined" your truck in the flood. Read this article from "Raybestos" the leader in transmission clutch plate manufacture.

View attachment 694155View attachment 694156View attachment 694157View attachment 694158

I've seen this happen so many times, especially here in the Pacific Northwest. Guys take their "rig" out for a little fun and then later the transmission goes out for no reason at all ! I ask did you ever take it out in the river or mudholes ? They always answer "of course but there was no water in the transmission when they checked" .
Have the parts for a 700r4 swap already. If the th400 gives up the ghost, I'll just have to get a torque converter. Going thru all other fluids today.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

rustystud

Have the parts for a 700r4 swap already. If the th400 gives up the ghost, I'll just have to get a torque converter. Going thru all other fluids today.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
That is good planning ! Who knows. If you totally drain the transmission fluid you might still have a good long life out of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks