• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

peakbagger

With respect to the question about mogs in the states I expect the SEEs could have doubled the population in the US although there were a lot of the Case MB94s sold to municipalities. I have seen three of them at different towns as municipal vehicles in northern NH in my travels over the years. Apparently the BLM also used them.

The retired Unimog mechanic in CA apparently does work for EI on occasion. His rate is $100 a hour when he is available. Getting an estimate for a fairly common procedure was not easy. Unimogs are not swiss watches its just that everything weighs about twice what it would be on a standard truck so getting things in and out require a lot of rigging. Most retired mechanics I know are pretty wore out from horsing stuff around and expect they aren't interested in continuing it into retirement The flip up cab in theory should be a time saver but add in the FOPS on the SEE and all the other parts that need to be removed and that potentially adds in a lot of extra hours, the choice is lift the cab or try to work around it.

Another Ahab

So with all the trouble that seems to come with the SEE'S, how is it that Uncle Sam saw wisdom in the purchase of entire fleets of these things?

Was there somebody who owned a lot of Daimler Benz stock or something?!

peakbagger

My speculation is that these were cold war purchases designed for war in Europe against the USSR. Unimogs are pretty well the standard military vehicle for Europe so it might have made sense to collaborate with Mercedes for the base equipment once it was "americanized" by calling it a Freightliner. Add in a US sourced gerrymandered options list like a Case backhoe in place of the Schmidt, the auxiliary hydraulic systems and other things like the FOPS and you get a military purchase that probably warmed the heart and pockets of enough politicians to get them ordered. The minor issue that the USSR disintegrated didn't stop a military program as it requires a act of Congress to do that.

The fundamental chassis is pretty robust as long as its maintained, the transmission issues appear to be operator related and the electrical system seem to be an unfortunate intersection of texas rodents who acquired a taste for german wiring harnesses. Folks forget these are potentially 35 year old fairly complex vehicles they should be expected to require some maintenance and when they aren't maintained and things break its going to be a major repair.

anthkey

ok ... well I, got a 419 SEE ,been reading the manuals for days now... and plowing though all the data, reminding me of my days in 82nd airborn 4/325, in Italy
was a tamms clerk in the motor pool .. manuals suck... needing to tilt the cab forward, hissing sound coming from the hi-low-rev shifter and leaking some bad , down the transmission..
4x4 wont engage. question is... where do the brackets "mount" to that i need to buy?? (not clear in the manual)... man I wish the was a video on this tilt operation...
any help ..??

Another Ahab

ok ... well I, got a 419 SEE ,been reading the manuals for days now... and plowing though all the data, reminding me of my days in 82nd airborn 4/325, in Italy
was a tamms clerk in the motor pool .. manuals suck... needing to tilt the cab forward, hissing sound coming from the hi-low-rev shifter and leaking some bad , down the transmission..
4x4 wont engage. question is... where do the brackets "mount" to that i need to buy?? (not clear in the manual)... man I wish the was a video on this tilt operation...
any help ..??
They're a good start (much better than nothing). But they can't replace somebody just telling you what needs to be done.

Like learning to play an instrument. Sure you COULD read a book about it, but the way to do it right is to get an instructor.

A Master, a Sensei, a Guru.

Not always easy to do that though, so a manual is the next best thing (then there's YOuTube!)

any help ..??
TAMMS Clerk? Hurry up with those 5988e's! :)

I haven't had to tilt the cab yet, but I vaguely recall seeing a diagram of it in the -20, or maybe the -24P.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

thanks... been all over youtube , no luck on tilting the cab, or the brackets. manuals don't make any sense...
Hang tough.

There is untold wisdom here in the collected experience of many. You are in a good place here.

Seeing how that was your second post. Welcome from Virginia.

Migginsbros

any help ..??
If you take off all these front mounts, engine guard ..... you lift the cabin written in the TM and then install the bracket in the circled area.
brackets.jpg SEE Vorbereitung Schubrohrmanschetten 019.jpg

anthkey

WOW... thanks... and those brackets are going to support and pivot that cab ??

new here.... still learning this site... how do THANK YOU add up????8)

Last edited:

peakbagger

There is another set of three piece brackets that hold up the cab so it doesn't fall down and break your neck. Unlike the tilt brackets that are available via one of the members of this forum, I don't know of current source of the three piece prop brackets

If you want to see a tantalizing photo of the complete set here it is https://www.expedition-imports.com/419580055100. Unfortunately as you will note its out of stock. I think Vons Mogs has a set listed on his website.

anthkey

they all seem to be out of stock.. surely I could build a support.. still hung up on the brackets tilting the cab, will look at the mog when I get home..

Migginsbros

WOW... thanks... and those brackets are going to support and pivot that cab ??

new here.... still learning this site... how do THANK YOU add up????8)
The FOPS (you must take it of) and ROPS are not going with the cap so it is not so heavy. After lifting the cab, after installing the brackets you tilt from rear
by a pulley/tackle/hoist or a crane. Secure with a rod (not to lower) and a chain not to tilt over to the front.
SEE Schubrohrmanschetten Endres 016.jpg SEE Schubrohrmanschetten Endres 011.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
any help ..??
Before you tear into this full bore, check for air leaks at the rear, by the tanks. You can supply air to the system through one of the front gladhands (can't remember if it's the inner or outer) and listen for leakage.
The 4WD won't engage without sufficient pressure, and if it's only the drains on the tanks (or some other easy to get to place) that keeps that from happening, maybe you won't need to tilt the cab.

Before you tear into this full bore, check for air leaks at the rear, by the tanks. You can supply air to the system through one of the front gladhands (can't remember if it's the inner or outer) and listen for leakage.
The 4WD won't engage without sufficient pressure, and if it's only the drains on the tanks (or some other easy to get to place) that keeps that from happening, maybe you won't need to tilt the cab.
I second that, and peakbagger will likely also agree. Start upstream and work your way downstream in the air system. Even with the cab tilted you may have a hard time diagnosing an air-related trans problem if there is another unresolved issue between there and the compressor.

In my case, sealing a leaky air tank drain valve brought 4wd and air shifting to life. Working patiently and methodically has worked well for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks