• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV up close

Cdub

Hey Guys,

I got some pic of the FMTV from Emr (Randy) and I'll start the thread for him.

these pic were take from a pdf file and coverted to a jpg so I can post them
on a thread.

Enjoy,

C'dub

quote by Emr:

Here is a set of pics of a brandy new FMTV the 2 and a half ton cargo truck ,notice the awesome drop sides and troop seats all individually useable, and the all fluid check and fills are right next to each other right behind the cab door, all together, and the cab can be raised electrically or by a hand pump, there is a set of switch's when the cab is raised to start and shut off the motor right in front of the person working under the cab, the box under the bed right behind the driver is where the cargo cover is stowed everything has a place ,one of the coolest things about Military trucks is there are alot of cool places things go, the FMTV has brought this to a new level, everything has a place and that CAT engine is one super sweet runner, she drives like a dream, ...Craig if U want to put this on the steel site....Randy

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the crane in that location also, better weight distribution.

Well, you all know how critical I'm when it comes to new designs and changes simply for the sake of change. Looking at the tire tread, doesn't it look like they forgot the reason for the chevron (tractor tire) design, which is to enhance self cleaning. Mud on the inside has to slide across the entire surface of the tread to get off. I like the tire treads of the vehicles in yeterday's Finlandia posts a lot better (although installed wrongly for off-road use here).

Then again, I'm probably missing something, as so often, just can't keep my thoughts to myself. :?

Attachments

Cdub

I don't know why but the FMTV's have never been a fav of mine....I think it's the European look of the cab forward that I just can't seem to get uses to.....??!!??

but that's just me...??!!??

I would rather have a truck that's got a hood....like the one in the red circle......

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

MArch 8th, 2008.

SHOW ME YOU WAR FACE!!! I doubt if anyone takes an FMTV seriously, but baby, when you got a M35 or 5 ton (or even better, an HEMTT) bearing down on your A-S at a checkpoint, and you're in a toyota something or other...... the pucker factor's gigantic!!!! Car Bombers BEWARE!!!! Even any Unimog from the S404.114's of the sixties to the U1300L's and above look like and are serious military machinery....... The only better then an FMTV would be one of those tiny Dahatsu 4x4 cabovers, then we could go to war on the "green" team playing the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, cause that's what we'd have to be!!!! We'd be the greenest, pleasantest military in the world........
What's the difference between the Cub Scouts and the US Army? BAWAAAK! The Cub Scouts don't have Howitzers!!!! (credits to Robin Williams in "Good Mornin, Vietnam!! and Adrian Cronauer as the original himself. Think Military, Think Militant!!! make mine an ESP program M35A3 anyday of the week!!! [thumbzup]

Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Swiss Army Unimog S404.114 Mercedes Benz Cargo Truck
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce truck that doesn't take any guff from an FMTV!!!

rizzo

CT I don't think the XML is a self cleaning design in the same respects a AG V tread design is. The advantage of the XML over the XZL offroad is the large open side lugs. Similar to the XL.

I do like the european V tread a lot. I have never seen that over here.

SierraHotel

"I don't know why but the FMTV's have never been a fav of mine....I think it's the European look of the cab forward that I just can't seem to get uses to.....??!!?? "

I too prefer the look of the 5 tons and Deuces...then again, HEMIT's aren’t too bad

emr

cranetruck said:
I like the crane in that location also, better weight distribution.

Well, you all know how critical I'm when it comes to new designs and changes simply for the sake of change. Looking at the tire tread, doesn't it look like they forgot the reason for the chevron (tractor tire) design, which is to enhance self cleaning. Mud on the inside has to slide across the entire surface of the tread to get off. I like the tire treads of the vehicles in yeterday's Finlandia posts a lot better lled wrongly (although instafor off-road use here).

Then again, I'm probably missing something, as so often, just can't keep my thoughts to myself. :?[/quot

Actaully the Chevron also known as a Directional tire tread is definitly faceing the correct way, That is the way they have the most traction and the way they self clean, That type of tire is superior to all tires in one direction only... and has less traction in reverse, ok it is easier to back out of a ditch so to say, BUT most general use trucks will not have a directional tread, a non directional tread also lasts longer, . and with these tires i think that was definiltly thought of, and as for a directional to be efficient they all need to be faceing the same way, Now a military truck and the guys who put the tires on rarely care about doing it right, so they are not really the best choice for a force as large as the military, It is also in some TM's when using directional tread, when on the driving vehicle they all face the v down or foward and on trailers to be put on backwards , this will extend the life of a directional tread pattern on a trailer, as a trailer will not be needing the directional traction so it would be wasted .I have spent many many years loving directionals and have off roaded them since i was a kid, ...Randy

emr

Cdub said:
I don't know why but the FMTV's have never been a fav of mine....I think it's the European look of the cab forward that I just can't seem to get uses to.....??!!??

but that's just me...??!!??

I would rather have a truck that's got a hood....like the one in the red circle.....

I must agree with cdub a truck does need a nose to be the best looking, and as for it having a solid windshield why cant the soldiers who put the most miles on em have a quiet and comfortable truck, with NO leaks, and if it ever goes anywhere it will be uparmoured anyway there is just no need or use anymore for a windscreen that opens, and why not be able to plug in all the extras kids like to drive with today there are ports for everything. there is also NO match to an M series in the world to date on any vehicle hands down for sure, But I also like the new ones they just have so many cool things on em,, funny i know how close they are to euro's but .the FMTV still looks like a mans truck next to the euro's. Kinda like when Me and my son went looking for a dog, i had only one requirement , A dog is supposed to have a nose...Randy

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadam,

How mnay vechicle checkpoints have you ran? I dont think MNF-I or CENTCOM has authorized HEMTTS or FMTV's as chase vehicles over there.....

emr

I have to ad one more thing , as much as i am an M series freak for sure, to me there never has been and never will be something that "was" so far ahead of its time as the US M series vehicles, BUT we are driving antiques, and the world is different, and these things are unbelivably sweet, And as i will die with an M series and have asked my Son to carry me in it when i go, The active duty guys need and deserve more. our trucks are slow hard to drive and outdated, easy to work on? its 2008 ! all the mechanics need to be up on technology, it is where the world is going and IS ,they should not be left in the stone age, I remeber not long ago at one of our shows, we had a seminar on the deuce , An old timer chimed in" Hey i drove a cckw, THAT WAS A REAL TRUCK!" whew, i have had and driven both alot and in the same day "NO" comparison can be made, , that is the comparrson between M series and the new stuff, not as bad but close...I will say execpt for the 900...but get out of a 900 and into an FMTV and there is still a feeling one just left a time warp also. ...these things have come of age...randy