• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV up close

According to the model chart I "acquired" from somewhere, there are only 3 basic trucks n the 2 1/2 ton range, the chassis, a van, and a standard cargo, although there is a LVAD model listed, whatever that is.
The 5 ton has long and short trucks and chassis, van, wrecker, cargo, tanker, dump, and tractor. Again, a couple models are designated LVAD (cargo and dump).
the trailer for the 2 1/2 ton is a single axle also, with a tandem axle trailer for the 5 ton. M #s range from M1080 A1 through M1095 A1.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
emr said:
.......but get out of a 900 and into an FMTV and there is still a feeling one just left a time warp also. ...these things have come of age...randy
This statement needs specifics, what details or features makes the FMTV so futuristic, the specifications and performance listed in tables and TMs are no clues? To me they are loaded with compromises....

BobS

cranetruck said:
emr said:
.......but get out of a 900 and into an FMTV and there is still a feeling one just left a time warp also. ...these things have come of age...randy
This statement needs specifics, what details or features makes the FMTV so futuristic, the specifications and performance listed in tables and TMs are no clues? To me they are loaded with compromises....
Unfortunately, EVERY vehicle is a compromise.

If you compare the original RFQ for FMTV (from the early 1980's) and compare the performance (not referring to just speed, but VCI, RAM-D, human factors, and other parameters), capability (loading, terrain, capacity-both men and cargo), and cost, you will find that FMTV was cheaper in corrected dollars, carried more in varied payload, in more varied configurations, and was more durable than the M35/M54 series trucks and could go places the older trucks could not. The details would cover many, many pages (the GM/MVO-TTC proposal covered over 1100 pages) so I leave it to the reader to perform their own search for those details.

Best regards...

Bob

dannymoz71

The 2 1/2 ton pictured earlier is an unarmored M1078, and the one with the crane is an unarmored M1084. Here are a few pics of our FMTV's over here. One is our M1089 wrecker with the newest LSAC armored cab. The other is one of our M1078's with the older Add on Armor.

Attachments

emr

I really do not think "most" But alot of people do think of Gov't and the designers of military equipment as a bunch of bumbling boobs, i prefer to focus on the awesome advancements that are in everthing we have been doing for our troops, it is alot, as for specifics on my post, It is like most things we talk about,My opinions & My feelings,and my experience behind handling a wide range of trucks for a good part of my life, & simply what i personally have felt behind the wheel, and haveing them side by side, i have to say the future vehicles are hands down better, I am glad i feel this way too. Now after all that, I would still rather jump into the 900 or even more so an 800 for sure, simply because I think they are what I would call a Mans truck!!!And the feeling of going thru the gears and muscling them around is whats it is all about...But when i get out of the deuce or 813a1 i need a nap...LOL...randy

citizensoldier

Hows the ride with that cab over design? Seems like it would beat you up a little.. Isnt all that stuff cool and great until a fuse blows, or the computer conks out, or a bullet takes out a hydro line? They are cool but I am a function before fassion guy.. But if it keeps some guys employed and a few of the factories open so be it.. I hope all parts and assembly are US only.. Any made in Mexico stickers on the parts.. If so .. Well I will bite my tongue.. Thanks for posting the pics.. In my travels this month I have seen maybe 50 new military vehicles on the e-way. Some type of 6x6 International with a flat bed with side compartments and some type of 4 door pig looking armored thing.. Not sure if they were buffalo's or Rhinos or what they were.. So someone is making some money building them and transporting the stuff all over the country..

tamangel

Lease / return...?

found this on another site:

"Now where the problem may be is I heard that the FMTV is a lease deal and they will be returned to the SS (or whatever (the company)name is) and be stripped reconditioned and possibly redeployed. It may be more rare as a real Humvee in civilian hands."

which will mean they eventually will show up or ...?

Comments...?

Mike

:arrow:

dannymoz71

RE: Lease / return...?

I know I really dont car for them. They are an electrical nightmare for us mechanics that dont have the proper equipment to troubleshoot them in the desert. The wreckers do the job, but not as well as their 5 ton and HEMMT counterparts. The crane is in the middle of the truck, loses alot of use and reach there. The towing adapter only goes up, down and in, out. Doesnt move side to side like the other wreckers either. Thats really annoying. The cranes electrical system is annoying and is usually bypassed. The best things about them are the Cat engines and Allison trannys. The new LSAC cabs are great at defeating IED's though.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

The trucks are also not duel rated 2 and a half tons it for the LMTV. I could load a duece with way more weight and keep it on the road. The Armored Cabs are very heavy and degrade the capacity even more. Most mechanics would take a HEMMT wrecker over a MTV one anyday. I know that the MTV tractor with armored cab can not be driven without a trailer or they go front end down when the brakes are applied. Someone should go to jail for buying them without the armor designed in from the start. I have been screaming this since I was a lieutenant in the first truck company.

Stay safe on Victory base and watch your sector when outside the wire. We are praying for you all over there.

Melvinitis

Early on someone commented something along the line of think of it in the way the person who is driving it. All I hear is good things from those who drive em. State side they fight to drive them, they are quite, ride smoother and eaiser then the duece (of course they are auto, so the 18 year old can drive it with out much training). That has been my observation from the driver's view.

I will defer to the mechnics that have chimed in, I am sure like everything new, the electronics are a nightmare.

joec

And from what some of the Guys over at Ft. Dix hate these things all computer controlled. Great have to carry a diagnostic handheld to see why you it won't start...(Yelling at enemy) wait i have to plug in my machine to see why it won't Start. Don't get me wrong electronic is nice. But not for this type of scenario. Make it simple. My.. 2cents

It's just like the guys say. You need a Doctorite IN ENGINEERING AND ELECTRONICS ANYMORE..!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Lease / return...?

joec said:
And from what some of the Guys over at Ft. Dix hate these things all computer controlled. Great have to carry a diagnostic handheld to see why you it won't start...(Yelling at enemy) wait i have to plug in my machine to see why it won't Start.. ..!
Of course, the diagnostic computer should be built-in and always "on line", makes too much sense, I guess.....

joec

Re: RE: Lease / return...?

cranetruck said:
joec said:
And from what some of the Guys over at Ft. Dix hate these things all computer controlled. Great have to carry a diagnostic handheld to see why you it won't start...(Yelling at enemy) wait i have to plug in my machine to see why it won't Start.. ..!
Of course, the diagnostic computer should be built-in and always "on line", makes too much sense, I guess.....

That would make to much sence to do that. A couple of more dollars.

BobS

citizensoldier said:
Hows the ride with that cab over design? Seems like it would beat you up a little.. Isnt all that stuff cool and great until a fuse blows, or the computer conks out, or a bullet takes out a hydro line? They are cool but I am a function before fassion guy.. But if it keeps some guys employed and a few of the factories open so be it.. I hope all parts and assembly are US only.. Any made in Mexico stickers on the parts.. If so .. Well I will bite my tongue.. Thanks for posting the pics.. In my travels this month I have seen maybe 50 new military vehicles on the e-way. Some type of 6x6 International with a flat bed with side compartments and some type of 4 door pig looking armored thing.. Not sure if they were buffalo's or Rhinos or what they were.. So someone is making some money building them and transporting the stuff all over the country..
The FMTV specs called for a maximum of 15 watts input at the driver's H-point. For comparison (over a flat road, 4x4 cement blocks spaced alternately at 6 foot centers, road speed 20mph):

1. M35 - 29 watts
2. M923 - 31 watts
3. M916A2 - 23 watts
4. Freightliner Century Class OTR Class 8 AirRide - 17 Watts

One of the issue wit husing a soft spring rate to obtain this number is roll stability with leafs. This is why the FMTV's all use an anti-roll bar on the front and in some cases, the rear suspension.

Best regards...

Bob

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"The FMTV specs called for a maximum of 15 watts input at the driver's H-point..."

If this is a driver comfort specification, my guess is that it will make it possible to read a display of some sort while driving on a "bumpy" road. 4x4 obstacles hardly represent off-road driving, though....wonder how a dual-front axle vehicle (HEMTT) would do or a tracked one?

BobS

cranetruck said:
"The FMTV specs called for a maximum of 15 watts input at the driver's H-point..."

If this is a driver comfort specification, my guess is that it will make it possible to read a display of some sort while driving on a "bumpy" road. 4x4 obstacles hardly represent off-road driving, though....wonder how a dual-front axle vehicle (HEMTT) would do or a tracked one?
You could, but I am not sure why you would want to? If you were using magnetoreologic shocks or an active suspension, the input could be used as an input to the control computer to adjust the spring rate and damping, but to the driver, it is what it is. Note- I am not saying it should not be done, I am asking why it would be wanted????

On the HEMTT, I have no idea, as I have never worked on the development of it. If I had to guess, I would think it would be pretty high, due to the silly Hendrickson suspension used on the front (that suspension was one of the reasons the HEMTT had so many teething problems in it's early development cycle, failing the original axle housings, etc.). The only tracks I have worked with are the M113 and M551 and both those were fairly low-but I do not remember the numbers (it HAS been a long time.... :) .

Best regards...

Bob

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder why the Army did not go with the Oshkosh MTVR like the Marines did. That is a beast of a truck.

I read on the Oshkosh website that they are proposing to rebuild the M939 series trucks for the Army with some newer upgrades.