• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fontana, Ca MV final resting place trip

nf6x

Feral Engineer
bigmike said:
I didn't head for the pool, I headed for a few more cold ones! :D
Same here! I'm still feeling too tired to go out to the pool. Something about a killer sunburn really saps me of energy. :deadhorse: (I'm the horse)

Before I forget. Thanks Polverone for the great gift to everyone. That was very thoughtful.
I'll second that! The "Push To Test -- Release To Detonate" sticker will be going around the doorbell button on my new house someday! :D

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CanonNinja said:
How did the 813s look? I'm about to pull the trigger on one if GL doesn't pan out
Of what I could tell, they were Hawaii trucks...lots of cancer.

BKinzey

I got back, had enough money left over I made a stop at Harbor Freight, spent more there than at the Yard!

I couldn't believe all the parts and stuff. It's a shame the nomenclature on all the new parts & rebuild kits isn't more descriptive. Just couldn't tell what it was for :roll:

Lots of HMMWV parts. Found some water fording kits.

ems4ty

Great day in Fontana!!!

First off, I'd like to thank all the guys that came out to Fontana today! I took the 241 Tollroad to the 261 Tollroad down to Jamboree on my way back home. Top speed up the hill heading towards Irvine was 15 MPH for over 2 miles! WOW! Not used to driving like a turtle on the shoulder no less! Anyways, no overheating as Djfreema had recommended the removal of the hood access doors.

WillWagner, thanks for putting this all together! Meeting with all you folks today was awesome. It's great to know that there are a quite a few "locals" around that are into these trucks. Looking forward to seeing you guys soon.

Polverone, thank you for sharing your freebee gifts that was very kind of you.

Djfreema, thank you for offering me a mushroom intake for my M35 and for your recommendations about removing the access panels. It made a heck of a difference on the way back, and my difficulties in starting the truck after it’s warmed up has greatly diminished!

BigMike, wow! Can't say enough about this guy! Thank you for "taking me under your wing" per say and helping me out with finding some goodies at the yard today. Too bad we couldn't find a canvas cab top for the Deuce. Also, I'll keep in touch with you and work out a time and day to come by and pickup the tailgate and pins. That's mighty generous of you!

Nf6x, Your a guru my man. Let me know if you come across a working radio that will fit in the tray under my passenger seat. I'm aggressively looking for one, and am also interested in the intercom unit that you mentioned. Feel free to contact me at anytime. Since your close, maybe we can meet up one day and have lunch or something. Would love to pick your brain on the radios!

Key-largo, it was a pleasure to meet you. Hope you found all of the surveyor parts that I recall you were looking for.

Mhb285, Thank you for filling me in on the Class B requirement for CA and for the CD that you gave me! That'll come in handy.

I know I'm missing that other guy that was there. Shown in the group photo in the black shirt sitting to my left. Again, a pleasure to meet you as well!

Again, it was great to meet you guys and am looking forward to seeing you all again in the near future! PS, let me know if any of run into someone who is knowledgeable about the Gasser's! I've got questions that I still can't find answers to.

Take Care,

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Great day in Fontana!!!

Hey Tyler, I wish I could take credit for helping you out but that wasnt me. I was the guy sitting to your left in the black shirt at the taco stand. We should have had name tags with our user name and our real name. Oh well, next time, glad to hear you made it home without any problems.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Great day in Fontana!!!

Can anyone take that group photo and edit it with names in balloons over the heads of folks. Really trying to put faces with names.

Well I am the one draggin' in late as usual... :lol:

Got home after some major traffic stop and go stop and go stop and...............

Ok Time for the group photo. I'll post again because I got the list of who's who in the zoo!
I'll get this posted right off while I go over the other pictures and put together my novel.

Here we go from left to right:

Will Wagner
Djreema
Key-Largo
Polverone
BKinzey
MHB285
NF6X
ems-4ty
bigmike (upstanding in the back)

Attachments

Once I finally got home I slammed an icey cold barley pop while going over what was done on the house (drywall) while I was gone, got in the shower and watched the bottom of the tub turn brown from that Fontana dry dirt tan I picked up, then had to run to the restaurant where my wife was waiting with our friends to hear about my day "junkin' with the guys". Had a great dinner and pretty much went to sleep by 7:30pm dreamin' about the big 5 ton beasts all over that yard.

Thank you Will for all the sodas and water. You pretty much saved my backstraps from dehydration and especially for the road soda out there, best tasting one I think I have had in long time. I suppose hot, dry, and overheated came into play but that unmarked Mermite was the oasis in the desert.

It was good to put some faces with the names. Will, your a local hero for putting this together. Desert Deuce, sorry you couldn't make it but I know after this weekend we are going to do it again. Talk about a great group. Everyone helped each other out to find what they were looking for or told them of a treasure(s) they had found or helped dig, wrench, and carry out.
Devin (Djfreema) just cracked me up. We were standing about 6 strong around a front bumper talking of the days events when Devin swoops in and scours it for parts. I bent down and held it from rocking while he pilfered. The guy has a nose for the small details - in like a ferret. Another time I bring him over to show him a tank periscope I found and he turns it over then grabs the part right behind it....."Did you want this?", he asked me. "Uh, I already have one on my truck." Another treasure swooped up by Devin.
ems-4ty brought out a great gasser to the picnic. He arrived fashionably dressed also - even had the era helmet complete with cigarettes tucked in on the side (see photo - rt side).

I went mostly to look for a dash to repaint and fit new guages into when I start the refurbishing of my deuce. Big Mike is the inspiration. Also wanted another round mirror and a spring seat for the right side. I found them all but the seat got put back once bigmike took me over to a container to show me the NIB tail light housings with lenses they had just discovered. Brand new!!! While in there he discovered a brand new airpack and right underneath it, another one!! Still in the box!! Brand new!!!
Did I mention the whole box of NATO jumper cables and cables to connect from the rear of the deuce to whatever. I set the ones I garnered on the spring seat to go back and get next time.
Will's son was great. The kid was climbing all over everywhere and finding all kinds of things, like some NIB bows by the boxload on top of a bunch of containers. I think I found a box full of axle seals but did not have a tape measure or one to measure it by but it sure looked like the ones I just replaced. Found a whole box of anodized hose fittings that hot rodders or boat racers would love to have. A whole semi trailer full of air cleaners, brand new oil filer cannisters - unpainted. Lots of hoses, wiring, electronics, boxes and boxes of who knows what all buried beneath boxes and boxes of who knows what all.
I am sure that my untrained eye glossed over a lot of stuff that I did not know what it was for.

Can't wait for the next get together.

Oh, did I mention Canvas!?!?!?!?

Attachments

steelandcanvas

You guys look as though you all had a great time! That type of fellowship cannot be duplicated! I hope everyone got something they were looking for! When you guys go again, I'll have to put an order in.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you got the knot out of the BFC. I thought those were artilliary parts.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'll post a pick of what $192 got me,( I went with $200 but spent $8 at the taco stand) its all still in my trunk. I got home, parked, showered, went to a 6 year old's birthday party, came home, watched a movie, went to bed and did family stuff ALLLLLLL day today to make up for the past 2 days working on the unimog and spending time at the "junk" yard. I had time for a copuple of cold ones with the neighbors and I've got to work 16hrs tomorrow so it wont be until Tuesday that I can empty the trunk and post some pics of my "booty". From what I saw, Big Mike got one heck of a deal! Bkinzey had alot of good stuff too but I didnt hear his final tally. I have to saythat I cant wait to go back there again, I found a stash of some 12.5/20 XL's for the MOG (there were only 5,perfect for my needs). Will, I forgot to thank you for setting it up and supplying me with the much needed water, I was in such a rush to leave because I was in the doghouse for being a couple of hours late. Here is a pic I took on the way to the yard by Will's house that I thought was funny, I's sure every woman wishes they had one of these near.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, what a great day. I'm glad you lefties know how to have a good time to ;) You guys see any 756 pipeline trucks or parts laying around? I need 2 gin pole sockets, the trunion, the sheaves, and any other misc BII

ems4ty

Djfreema, thanks for the correction noted earlier. It was fellow by the name of Tony that offered the air intake mushroom. If I recall correctly, he doesn't have access to a computer often and isn't really posting on Steel Soldiers. Oh yeah, and after looking at the picture of all of us, I see that he isn't in it. Hmmm, guess he took off a bit early.

Anyways, all in all, it was great! Keep me in touch about when we'll do it again. As I get more involved in my inner workings of the deuce, I'll know more about what I'm looking for.

I didn't think about taking a picture of what I got, but it did cost me $120.00 though. Ummm, I did get the following items; (2) NOS rear tailights, (2) oil catch pans/trays, mushroom intake - good shape, handfull of Navy data plates of various sizes, (4) sets of pins (holds the shackels on the front bumper), surveyor kit - very used including pick-axe-shovel-handle, approx. 25' of green rope/para cord, (2) small ammo cans (there was half a pallet of these that I found!), and a NATO to 2 Pin Adapter - Just need (1) more.

Thanks again Will for putting this little shin-dig together! Oh yeah, BTW, if any of you are local, near Irvine/Lake Forest, I'm think I'm going to take the Deuce to the Fuddruckers car show this Tuesday off of Lake Forest and just past Rockfield on the Left hand side. The car show is from about 1700 to approx 2000-2100hrs. It's been at least 8 years since I've been to any car shows so this will be interesting. Let me know if anyone is interested or needs directions. I know its a late notice so I'm not expecting too many inquiries if any. Just thought I'd mention it.

Take care,

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'm already looking forward to another trip to the boneyard! Maybe in another month or three?

Thanks a million for bringing the water and soda, Will! I would've dropped dead without it. I'll try to be better prepared next time!

I work in Irvine, but I won't be able to make it to Fuddruckers this week. Please let us know if you bring your truck there again.

ems4ty said:
I'm think I'm going to take the Deuce to the Fuddruckers car show this Tuesday off of Lake Forest and just past Rockfield on the Left hand side. It's been at least 8 years since I've been to any car shows so this will be interesting.
Hey Tyler,
I took my Deuce to a local car show here in town and after smokin' and stinkin' and whistling in the parking lot while parking it, everyone came to look at my truck to see just "what the heck it was making all the noise". You'll have more people looking at your truck than at the other cars there.......cause they see them all the time. You'll have a great day of answering questions by the ammo can full and every kid is just dying to sit in it with dad taking the picture. :wink:

key-largo

ems4ty said:
if any of you are local, near Irvine/Lake Forest, I'm think I'm going to take the Deuce to the Fuddruckers car show this Tuesday off of Lake Forest and just past Rockfield
I work right on the Irvine/Lake Forest border. Plan on heading over to Fuddruckers right after work. Hope to see you there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks