• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found a M35A2

lawdog1623

its easy. take a flat head screwdriver with you and pop the screws of the instrument panel. Pull it away and twist your head to any unnatural and or painful position and light the top area with a flashlight. Its not terribly invasive and shouldnt take but a few seconds to look at it. If you dont see any rust, then you're good. Also consider that your doors may have to be repaired. The drivers side door looked to be eaten through.

shadowrwolf

its easy. take a flat head screwdriver with you and pop the screws of the instrument panel. Pull it away and twist your head to any unnatural and or painful position and light the top area with a flashlight. Its not terribly invasive and shouldnt take but a few seconds to look at it. If you dont see any rust, then you're good. Also consider that your doors may have to be repaired. The drivers side door looked to be eaten through.

ahh i see the rust now, i compleetly mised that when i was looking in person. dose not look too bad can probly get in there and weld it up nice.

shadowrwolf

well i submitted my hit list to the owner explaining what i believed it was worth. i offered 2500
hopefully i get a reply lol

and the mileage is defiantly suspect, the speedo is not original or it would been painted over like the others lol

Last edited:

shadowrwolf

and i got a responce back 3500 is his bottom line i told him i could come up a but but wanted to check a few things i forgot the first time around.

i compleetly missed the rusted door, i sware i see more things in the pictures than when im actoly inspecting

other thing that worrys me is i dont think he emptys the air tanks so they could be rusty inside

lawdog1623

doors could be a very costly repair depending on how you do it. I got very very lucky and caught the owner of a local military bone yard on a good drunk! :D He basically told me to go pick two doors off any truck on the north forty. i found an an a2 that had just been trailered in from a gl auction. This truck was perfect in more ways than most. The only thing it was missing was na engine. I swiped a wrench and a can of pb blaster and sprinted back to the truck I spent ALL (AND I DO MEAN ALL) day removing the doors. I walked out of there with two nearly perfect doors for $250. I felt that was a more than reasonable price considering the shape my truck doors were in. That price was also far below what it would have cost me to have them repaired by anyone else. I wouldnt worry too much about the air tanks. I would be fairly confident you could find them for fairly cheap at any major yard in great condition and replace them yourself. Like we have all told you, there will definitely be a great deal of work associated with owning these trucks

shadowrwolf

im not worried about the doors, im half decent at fabrication and welding im just going to cut the bad spots and weld in a fresh plate grind flat and paint

shadowrwolf

well then ....:grd: Sounds like you should have a truck in your driveway soon!
almost there lol
he is on vacation this weekend and the DMV is down for "maintenance" till Monday

and theres a few things i still have to look at on it.

o also are those doors all 1 part or can you brake them down

lawdog1623

one part as far as i know....er, well i guess that depends. The body of the door is one part, meaning that you cant take an inner panel off and simply replace it without cutting welds. you can remove hinges and other small parts, but the body of the door is one piece. Doors are quite expensive if you decide to completely replace them. You can stumble on some good deals if you can manage to pick them up and not ship them. I seem to remember a member on the classifieds selling doors for a couple hundred dollars a piece. At a yard i believe the prices of doors are around 3 to 400 each. For instance, eastern surplus is selling good used air tanks at $55 a piece and they usually tend to hover around the higher end of the prices i see.

shadowrwolf

i have been reading the TMs have found a lot of info, been printing out the greasing and regular maintenance cards.

as for the door if the pannles wont separate i will rig up something, and cut the hole big enough that i can get in there and clean and paint/rust convert. the only problem left after i weld the new patch in is the paint on the back of the patch around the welds... paint brush on a stick from the window hole maby. i will come up with something when i can actually get my hands on it and see how its all put together

i will defiantly do a step by step so others can see how to simple patching is and how clean it comes out.

shadowrwolf

got it home, the troop cover is vinial no back flaps, the top is also vinial but its probably totaled, i have a industrial sowing machine back home in Oregon i will see if i can patch it but doubt it its rough. the oil pressure gauge is not working but oil dip stick shows good ammount, and engine temp sat just under the 200 mark when cursing and did not go over 200 when pushing it hard. it was around 100+ today out side.

defiantly a hot dirty work out driving these big monsters lots of funny looks when driving it on to the base.

shadowrwolf

i will add pix tomaro, got it up at a auxiliary base i work at till i can get decals on it and in to the big base to get to the hobby shop

shadowrwolf

the frount tires are a little low on air today, and the boots are leaking some grease will add pictures when i get home, the area under the windshield is rusted thrue in a few spots but it looks like its ment to be replaced becuse its only held on with a few spot welds. i think i could find or fabercate a new piece or worst case cut out the rust and patch over it, dont want to do a cab swap.

Attachments

Last edited:

shadowrwolf

and more pictures, i want to cut off the bad cowl right at the base of the windshield the metal inside the cab is still good lucky it rusted away from the cab, just need to find someone that will cut me that paneling, tried eastern surplus best offer was a cheep cab with rusted rockers for 500 and i have a bunch of greesey oily stuff going on looking in from frount bumper right side.

Attachments

shadowrwolf

so i suspect my mileage is over 30k
GL papers show just under 20k
current one shows little over 11k
was sold in 2010 from GL lot so someone drove the **** outa it the past few years with little to no maintenance everything in it looks like its right outa the GL auction.

flushing the coolant to marro and hooking up a manual oil gauge. not using any crazy chemicles on it this time, just want to see how much crud is in there, will have to re fill it agen when i change the hose if its nasty il feed it something to clean it better.

have not found any other big surprises, a few dents with cracked metal, il just pound those flat and weld and grind them bed is a getting thin in the front corners but the bed has been cut and patched before, so i will probably do the same if i punch a hole in it when knocking off the rust

DeucesWild11

That's awesome you got it!! And for 3,500 I think you got a great deal, It's my belief that in 5+ years from now with how you plan on maintaining it you could get double that for it.. Then again you'll be putting a bunch of $$ into it. But you won't find another truck that will pay you back with so much Joy and still retain value! It will make you smile every time you get behind the wheel! Best of luck with her.:beer:

shadowrwolf

i just hit the jackpot was talking to a chief that just told me the location of 3+ M35A3 that are just used as target practice,W/W and the tire air system. i am hoping they also have hard tops, and apparently there is at least 1 with a good cab.

none of them are running currently, i might try jumping them to see if there truly dead...

i will update everyone in 30 ish days going on vacation on the 7th