• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel shut off doesn't work

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Those were that fuel lever.

You pull the "Jesus clip" out of the peg.
Cut the safety wire.
Un-screw the two flat head screws and remove the "bridge".
Slowly and carefully pull out the fuel shut off rod.

Then you take the assembly to a bench vise to take it apart. The nut that holds it together can be rusted on pretty good. I have had about 30% of them snap the shaft. once your in this far, it can go wrong if your not real careful.

rustystud

Those were that fuel lever.

You pull the "Jesus clip" out of the peg.
Cut the safety wire.
Un-screw the two flat head screws and remove the "bridge".
Slowly and carefully pull out the fuel shut off rod.

Then you take the assembly to a bench vise to take it apart. The nut that holds it together can be rusted on pretty good. I have had about 30% of them snap the shaft. once your in this far, it can go wrong if your not real careful.
I always presoak my parts in "Evapo-Rust" or "Metal Rescue" . This way the rust is almost gone before I try and remove any bolts or nuts.

aaronedwards82

Where can one acquire the pin that goes into the end of the shutoff/fuel shaft. Mine has broken off flush, from a stuck piston in the hydraulic head I'm assuming.

gimpyrobb

Where can one acquire the pin that goes into the end of the shutoff/fuel shaft. Mine has broken off flush, from a stuck piston in the hydraulic head I'm assuming.
Do you have anywhere near you that does "EDM"? I have some from a different AMbac pump, but the round shaft that goes into the lever is a tad big. An EDM shop could fix it easily.

gimpyrobb

Sometimes they get crud in there and you might have to take it apart to clean it up. You might be able to see in the second pic the rust I had to clean up.
Warthog, can we add these pics to the sticky? (post #19)

For some reason we can't save our own pics to re-post in other threads! WTF?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done. I don't know what the issue is with saving photos. I had no problem.

Also do you happen to have a picture looking in the hole for the plunger sleeve? I had one from years ago but can't find it.

aaronedwards82

No sir. I called around to all the shops around here, and there isn't anyone who does edm. Nobody will touch any part of the pump, or the hydraulic head either. They act like its radioactive or something, and try to get me out the door as quick as possible it seems. They all say to just get another pump, but, they don't have any leads or access to finding a replacement.
I'm pretty sure I can get the piston freed up in the head easily. I'm not concerned about that all that much. Just the little pin in the back that is broken is my problem. If it was to make a new one, how hard of metal does it need to be? Any places that sell parts or places to call about such said parts. I've looked around some, to no avail. Thank you in advance for help.

rustystud

No sir. I called around to all the shops around here, and there isn't anyone who does edm. Nobody will touch any part of the pump, or the hydraulic head either. They act like its radioactive or something, and try to get me out the door as quick as possible it seems. They all say to just get another pump, but, they don't have any leads or access to finding a replacement.
I'm pretty sure I can get the piston freed up in the head easily. I'm not concerned about that all that much. Just the little pin in the back that is broken is my problem. If it was to make a new one, how hard of metal does it need to be? Any places that sell parts or places to call about such said parts. I've looked around some, to no avail. Thank you in advance for help.
That piston is a precision fit item. If it leaks any you will loose power.

gimpyrobb

If the piston is seized, I'd worry about getting that freed up first. Might need to find a new hydraulic head if you can't, or an IP.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Where can one acquire the pin that goes into the end of the shutoff/fuel shaft. Mine has broken off flush,
I have seen the exact specifications of that pin in the TM's
The goes and Nogoes also
It would take me probable three hours to find it again.
In a TM with the "P"
Right now I am betting on the yellow pants to win
But............. they all got yellowpants

gimpyrobb

I missed that "broken off flush" part. With out being able to get it out, you might be closer to looking for a complete IP than I had originally thought.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks