• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fugly M1009 gets a new home

Anubis8472

The wire in the last picture is a ground that attaches to the radiator support.

Overall the truck looks good. Some TLC and you should have a winner.
When I rewired the headlights on mine, I had that exact same ground dangling down there loose with no indication of where it should have been fastened.
Now I'm wondering how many 1009's are out there with that ground not connected.

I'm thinking maybe one of the changes (perhaps blackout lights) pulls the harness away from that ground's original mounting and it was just disconnected?

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Yeah I saw replacement spindles on ebay for $30 or so. I may see if this one can be saved by pounding the lip round again, it's just a sealing surface and I usually use RTV for locking hubs anyway. It should be repairable with a BFG. HMMM

If you have a spare locking hub, I would need the screws as well as the big splined portion that slides in and out since the old screws broke off of mine and are stuck in there. Hit me baby, tell me what you need for the parts and postage.

Gunfreak25

Spent yesterday tearing out the rubber floor and insulation. Lots of moisture, even for AZ under there. A few small rust holes, nothing major. Wire brush and evaporust soon. Found a dime from 1986, hey, same year of manufacture. :D Found a little 5.56 hole in the floor panel, with the offending projectile laying mere inches away, ricochet?

I can fix the bent lip on the spindle with a hammer and a dremel. I would like to get a locking hub on there soon, though. I can probably extract the broken off screws on the inner gear piece.

Fixed rear glass and adjusted tailgate handle. Next.....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked my parts 1009 today. I thought the locking hubs where still on it. Nope. I'm getting old and can't remmber squat. Sorry.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next.....
I had some wire scrubbing where the harness and all the add on wire junk went through the fire-wall. With the wire nest under the dash it made sense to me to nestle down on the floor boards and work on electrical in hidden places. Very uncomfortable difficult work is my starting point for some reason.
Do you think that is a historical service time find in the floor boards or some random after service occurrence? It adds an option for a cool story line and I think we could come up with some good ones.

Remember my limitations and need for visual stimulation.

Gunfreak25

Oh i'll give you some visual stimulation....tomorrow......I think it was an in service thing.....downtime is hard on equipment and the mind. What you got? Your speaking in riddles and giving me entertainment. :beer: What the crap man, you need a signature.

Gunfreak25

So yesterday was spent tearing out the interior and hosing the dirt out for now. Found another bullet hole and another 5.56 mangled bullet near the hole by the passenger foot area. Both came from the outside. Very cool...

I found my fender, inner fender, door glass and drivers door shell for $200. Might be able to get him lower. I might take the mirrors too, very cool looking on a CUCV I think. The black dash is off an 80' somethin Chevy pickup, custom deluxe, no cracks, should look nice once painted maroon.

Inspection is Tuesday, wish me luck.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Mandy is home. I like Mandy, what do you guys think? Runs liked a raped ape, drove it to work today. After work came our first drive home in the dark. I go to flip on the headlights, and when I do, guess what happens? The hazards come on, or at least the dash bulbs did. It was intermittent. Turn headlights off, turn signals work just fine. Headlights on, turn signals don't work at all. The hazard button itself works hap....hazard...ly.

What's the deal-e-o? Fuses are good. Battery connections, fixed. I chopped out the flasher and hazard diodes. No effect. The turn signal arm is very wishy washy. As is the hazard button. I think the problem lies in the column. I did not have time reconnect those disconnected grounds at the headlight harness, tomorrow is my day off fortunately.

Ummmm..help....daddy wants to go for a midnight stroll with Mandy but she's whining a lot. Tomorrow comes numerous upgrades and sticky mods so I can start her with confidence.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the ground wires on the radiator support. Both sides. Without them the park lights and headlights act goofy. Those grounds are for the headlights. it not connected the headlights have to get thier ground thru the turn single circuit.

I drove my GSA Suburban Las Vegas to OKC like that. Headlights dim and the turn indicator on. A 5 cent connector fixed it.

Also check the ground tabs inside the turn signal bulb sockets.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Reconnected grounds at the radiator, it helped normalize things a little but they're still going apeshat crazy, it appears a broken rear bulb and some bad ground tabs in a front signal socket could be the problem. Parts houses were all closed today.

Steering locks out early on right hand turns. About 2 or 3 turns to early compared to left turns. Thinking it is crash/drag link related but I don't have another truck to compare parts with as far as telling if steering parts are bent or not. Like new tires, minor steering play, no pulls driving or braking, no shimmy, it just locks out early.

Today I powerwashed everything, cleaned all contacts and grounds. :D

Tomorrow is the starter relay mod, upgraded GP relay because it still has the factory original one. Maybe hit the junkyard if I have time.

The steering problem could be because the shaft in the steering box is twisted. This is common if the front tires take a good hit in a wreck. It also could be that the pitman arm is installed wrong. They are keyed with a with some wide splines so they will go on in I believe 3 different clock positions.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Went shopping this morning with my laundry list, got home to find the radiator sprung a leak right in the driveway. Ouch....

It's coming from the underside where the tank meets the core below the drain cock. I just assume source a brand new replacement instead of dicking with this one.

Stan Leschert

Get a quote from an old school Rad shop. If it's a bad seam no problem. If tubes are pinched off and the cores are solid, just get a Civvy 4 core rad off a Suburban. Make sure to toss a tranny cooler onto that thing. It will save you a lot of problems later. (Don't ask how I know ... it was kinda spendy!)

Gunfreak25

Well well well it seems the collision pushed the front axle housing towards the right side of the frame almost about 1.75" inches. It seems the thin factory spring shackles on the front axle (the rear ones not the beefy fronts) are bent and it should be an easy remove and replace fix.

Could this be causing the steering locking out early on right hand turns? It's getting annoying in tight parking lots. :beer:

Maybe. But I would really suspect output shaft on the steering box being twisted now. You can usually see the twist in the tapered splines going into the Pittman arm. You will know once you get the shackles replaced.
Good luck.

cpf240

Pictures of the bent parts, especially if it is the steering box, as I suspect mine to be bent, and would like to see one that is bent for comparison. With Winter being here, I need to keep the truck on the road, so any major work will have to wait until Spring. I figure this will give me time to gather the parts, etc.

Thanks.

Gunfreak25

My neighbor spotted me at the junkyard a couple weeks ago, he said hey I know where you live! Turns out he's a Chevy freak, today I stopped by in the M1009 and he threw a new passenger side window in for me, I owe him a case of fat tire next weekend.

-Window Replaced
-Floor rust 50% repaired
-Seat mounting points welded and repaired
-Seats cleaned
-New harmonic balancer (made in Australia!)
-New Belts
-Cleaned all electrical connections & new battery cables & lugs
-Transfer fluid changed
-New power steering hoses
-Tightened loose starter support bracket (YIKES!) & exhaust shield, inspected flywheel and torqued everything to spec.
-New coolant bottle from NAPA

And tonight I installed a dual 12v power outlet under the dash under the ashtray lid. 15amp fused and tied to the 12v junction on the firewall for power without the need to turn the key.

My neighbor believes the steering issue is indeed caused by the twisted shackles. This weekend we're making and installing new ones and I will report back. Oh yeah, a pic in the mornin' too. :D

rhinob

Mandy is home. I like Mandy, what do you guys think? Runs liked a raped ape, drove it to work today. After work came our first drive home in the dark. I go to flip on the headlights, and when I do, guess what happens? The hazards come on, or at least the dash bulbs did. It was intermittent. Turn headlights off, turn signals work just fine. Headlights on, turn signals don't work at all. The hazard button itself works hap....hazard...ly.

What's the deal-e-o? Fuses are good. Battery connections, fixed. I chopped out the flasher and hazard diodes. No effect. The turn signal arm is very wishy washy. As is the hazard button. I think the problem lies in the column. I did not have time reconnect those disconnected grounds at the headlight harness, tomorrow is my day off fortunately.

Ummmm..help....daddy wants to go for a midnight stroll with Mandy but she's whining a lot. Tomorrow comes numerous upgrades and sticky mods so I can start her with confidence.
IF you haven't yet, run that hazard switch in and out about 50 times. I had one behave after just such an exercise. Good luck.