• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gensets from GL today

Ratch

Anyone win some today?

I bid on several, didn't win any. Seems like they were much higher than I've sen in the past. Is that about right, or am I just not used to the prices? I could swear I've seen 003's go for under $1000 several times in the past year.

ranchhopper

GL is sharpening their marketing skills when the gensets are auctioned off as they were today they had their own auction usually brings higher prices. When the trucks and other items are auctioned at the same time the attention to one certain item is diluted out to many things. When in a general auction things get forgotten or prioritized do you want the generator or the truck usually the truck wins and the gen set goes for a more reasonable price. Today everyone who wanted gensets were there to bid specifically on them bringing higher prices GL must be hiring some smarter marketing personnel.

blybrook

I bid on the ones locally and they went for over double what I was willing to put into them. Someone got a deal with the one as it was 39 hours on the clock & the trailer still had the plastic wrapping the tools in the box.

Good luck to those that did win (better for me anyway as my $$$ will be tied up elsewhere soon enough).

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still looking for 3-5 and 10kw with ASK. If anyone knows of any good units let me know...K

I lost the bid on the one with 5 hours on the hobbs, that one went for big money.

Ratch

Yeah, compared to civilian diesel continuous duty gennies, they're a great deal even at today's closing prices...provided they work. The reason they don't sell for their street value as running condition is that you have no idea what's under the hood and get no guarantees that your money's not going to be wasted. A reseller can ask much more because you can go see it run with them, much less risk involved.

I bought a 5kw a few months ago that turns out great for storing a tarp on, but it's junk as a generator. In the auction, it looked like it would be fine. Cash I won't get back...

Also, the hour meters don't really mean anything unless you have the maintenance records, or you're reselling it and want to have plausible deniability. Units can get a full rebuild and be like new without getting their 3000hr meter changed, while heavily used units can have their meter fail and get a new one swapped in. It's primarily for maintenance interval tracking rather than machine life. I have machines at work that have 20 years of service and had the hour meters replaced several times. A new meter starts at 0... I could sell you a really worn out machine with 10 hours on it...

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ratach, I am sure you paid less than a grand for it right...? Take the tarp from under it and put the tarp over it. This is a good unit for parts. I have a few myself, when conditions are bad and a part is needed you will have a hard time acquiring it. I bet if you broke down the unit and sold it off for parts on ebay you would get 3-4 grand.

derf

I am still looking for 3-5 and 10kw with ASK. If anyone knows of any good units let me know...K

I lost the bid on the one with 5 hours on the hobbs, that one went for big money.

I have a couple of 701As and an 003 w/ASK I could part with. The 003 needs at least a 24v charging stator and maybe more, but runs. Too bad you're way up there, I really need to get rid of a few gens.

ETN550

I bid on several and watched on the sideline after a spell. The Lansing units seemed reasonable. There were a lot that were reconditioned and looking very very good. The Lansing units, the Ft. Meade units and the Jacksonville units many with their 2nd ID plate and mint control panels, stored inside, etc. went quite high. Some of the trailered Lansing units had cable reels with cable on them. That can be worth a lot right there. Plus those smaller trailers with the tilt bed are pretty nice in their own right.

But what is said over and over is so true. The hours mean nothing. In the sets I got last in the Warner Robbins GL sale I ended up with the cheapest and most expensive ones out of about 10 offered. The cheapest turned out to be an '08 reset with 1300+ hours and ran with minimal prep right out of the box. The low hour one needed a lot of handholding, adjusting and fixing to get it working. It had 50+ hours on it. Truely a roll of the dice.

I almost bid on the 701A from Ft. Carson that went for $170 with the gages missing and the fuel tank gone just to get the cage and the ASK. But the shippers prices are very high in my opinion and hard to justify buying anything distant from the home base. Wonder if there are other shipping options??

Keith_J

Hour meters mean nothing on these generators if it doesnt have a reset tag your getting an old generator with a new hour meter.
And many 002/003As have newer engines. Check the blower housing for an Onan data plate, read the contract number. The engine serial number also has a date code embedded in it.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS on Onan Generators - SmokStak

My 002A was so new, the first oil change had the flyball governor grease lumps STILL IN IT. Meaning it never had been load tested since getting a new engine. It was clean grease, about like GAA. Under normal use, it dissolves in the oil.

I don't know if this was a warranty issue or if it was done to extend service life under contract.

derf

I know Kubotas and other well made generator motors go many 10s of thousands of hours on reefer trailers and such. I would think a Diesel MEP would be good for 5000 hours of good, solid, civilian use. So, I would not be afraid of a unit with 2000-3000 hours on it. I have yet to get one with more than 1000 hours on it, though.

Ratch

I have a couple of 701As and an 003 w/ASK I could part with. The 003 needs at least a 24v charging stator and maybe more, but runs. Too bad you're way up there, I really need to get rid of a few gens.

Man, I'd love to pick up that 003 if it's cheaper than GL... But I think the ride down there at 10mpg might just make me bid to win in the next event up here...

Unless you just have to have a military genset, the surpluss telecom units are a Much better deal. Most of them are propane, which is better to have from a maintenance perspective. Also, most come with the automatic transfer switch mounted inside of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks